TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

If CGA can get a maverick clone that would be pretty good. Not to mention SFDK won't be able to top the height at all due to height restriction's on it's land.

But honestly if CGA puts a flat ride or two in there, it won't change my plans of not going there. Honestly I been wanting to go to Santa Cruze Beach Boardwalk and that's further away then CGA.

SFDK would have about 45 feet of wiggle room to top the height of a Maverick clone if they put a coaster at the front of the park. Then again, there's no room there...

As is evident down the road at Knotts, a coaster can fit in almost anywhere with some creativity, especially at the hands of Cedar Fair.

Also keep in mind that just because the removal of Invertigo will free up that space, doesn't mean the coaster (in question) has to start or even end in that spot.

Um hello people they would not remove Invertigo knowing that it is are 3rd lost coaster & not give us a new coaster! I mean CF already gave us a flat-Firewall, gave us some new shows & Planet Snoopy. CGA has enough flats so what else could it be??? DUH a new coaster FINALLY after how many years of waiting??? Stealth was 2000-2003, & then Physco Mouse 2001(last time CGA saw a new coaster. INSANE!). & It won't I can gurantee be a spinning coaster either because of all the flats & Survivor-2006 is spinny. So either a Maverick clone or would that custom woodie fit in Invertigo's spot? I mean it can't be an I-305, Top Thrill Dragster or Wicked Twister(since Wicked Twister is a boomerang type ride I don't think they would give us another boomerang). So the only choice that I see is either Maverick or the custom woodie. Not too hard to figure out.

^^That would be an extremely dumb move on CF's part if they were to only operate a coaster on weekends because of noise. Do you know how many questions and complaints the park would get?! Why build a $10 million coaster and only operate 2 days of the week?

Well keep in mind that this is just what SFA was forced to do for years with JJ,they couldn't run it in october due to the noise...which was reduced during the summer months by the foliage on the surrounding trees.

Um hello people they would not remove Invertigo knowing that it is are 3rd lost coaster & not give us a new coaster! I mean CF already gave us a flat-Firewall, gave us some new shows & Planet Snoopy. CGA has enough flats so what else could it be??? DUH a new coaster FINALLY after how many years of waiting??? Stealth was 2000-2003, & then Physco Mouse 2001(last time CGA saw a new coaster. INSANE!). & It won't I can gurantee be a spinning coaster either because of all the flats & Survivor-2006 is spinny. So either a Maverick clone or would that custom woodie fit in Invertigo's spot? I mean it can't be an I-305, Top Thrill Dragster or Wicked Twister(since Wicked Twister is a boomerang type ride I don't think they would give us another boomerang). So the only choice that I see is either Maverick or the custom woodie. Not too hard to figure out.

Um hello, let's take a look at the example of another failed park shall we?

Geauga Lake: Attendance dropped over years, acquired by Cedar Fair, 2 major coasters (X-Flight and Steel Venom) removed in 2006 and sent elsewhere. Park closed in 2007. If CF had interest in CGA, they could have very well sent one of Geauga Lake's coasters there. They sent one to Dorney, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure, and even to KAT!

Face it, Great America hasn't been going anywhere in the past decade. Major coasters are dwindling. A football team is trying to take over portions for other purposes. I strongly doubt CF would want to pump more money into that.

^^That would be an extremely dumb move on CF's part if they were to only operate a coaster on weekends because of noise. Do you know how many questions and complaints the park would get?! Why build a $10 million coaster and only operate 2 days of the week?

Well keep in mind that this is just what SFA was forced to do for years with JJ,they couldn't run it in october due to the noise...which was reduced during the summer months by the foliage on the surrounding trees.

That's one month out of a 7-month period. Not 5 days out of a 7 day week. It would operate far less than it ran.

I understand certain people are very enthusiastic about the removal of Invertigo, possibly for something new. Will they add something new there? Maybe. Will it be a coaster? perhaps. Will it be an expensive Intamin or Custom Woodie? I highly doubt it.

I can just imagine CF looking for the cheepest large scale coaster they can find and ploping it down where Invertigo was. A woodie is highly doubtful for obvious reasons: there's another one about 100ft away from Invertigo's location.

I can see them looking at a Medium Scale coaster of a not so high price. Gertslauer comes to mind again.

It just doesn't make sense that they'd suddenly pull out a gigantic wad of cash for a major coaster for a park they've ignored since they bought it.

There is about a 0% chance that you guys will be getting something like Maverick. You guys know that there's something called money, right? No chance that Cedar Fair will spend 20 million of it (the cost of Maverick), plus all the maintenance required for two launch sections on a dying park. If Cedar Fair is serious about a new coaster (not a given after Geauga Lake), you better believe that it'll be something cheaper, a compact GCI, which would cost 5-6 million, or a compact steel coaster like an El Loco or Zacspin. These would be great coasters, and could help turn this park around, but don't expect CF to spend Cedar Point or Kings Island money on Great America. Don't get your hopes up is what I'm trying to say.

Um, do you not read what anyone else posts before you post the same type of statement again and again? No where has it been stated that the new addition is a coaster. I don't know why you keep bringing up a Wicked Twister clone. Never going to happen!! As for the wooden coaster, according to the LA TImes, officials said the proposed GCI will not go into the Invertigo spot.

Wow

The park isn't going to get anything that can't be easily disassembled once it's closed for good.

For the 35th Anniversary of the park:

"For 2011, Great America plans to add two new shows – the "Boot Scootin' Boogie" country revue and the "Don't Stop the Music" dance program."

Source: www.latimes.com

As others have stated (but seem to have forgotten or neglected) "While Great America has released no details on the 2012 project, officials confirmed the new attraction will NOT be the oft-delayed wooden roller coaster proposed in 2008 (which remains in limbo due to noise concerns)."

Source: www.latimes.com

For the 35th Anniversary of the park:

"For 2011, Great America plans to add two new shows – the "Boot Scootin' Boogie" country revue and the "Don't Stop the Music" dance program."

Source: http://www.latimes.com

As others have stated (but seem to have forgotten or neglected) "While Great America has released no details on the 2012 project, officials confirmed the new attraction will NOT be the oft-delayed wooden roller coaster proposed in 2008 (which remains in limbo due to noise concerns)."

Source: http://www.latimes.com

Yeah not THAT coaster but it could be another one, something completely different, could be.

I find it kind of odd that a newspaper is giving away, or is allowed to give away what the park will be offering new for the season prior to the park's official word. How they got the information, I'm not sure unless someone's leaking information to them. I'm ready to get this season rolling so we can get the next one rolling. Hopefully we'll see something nice.

I've been seeing a lot of "Cedar Fair doesn't want to put a lot into CGA therefore don't expect anything major" posts on here but doesn't make sense to me. I know that the 2008 coaster didn't happen but that was due to constraints outside of CF's control. So with this said, they had plans on pouring a nice chunk of change into the park to start things off on the right foot. The neighbors are what put a wrinkle into things from what we can speculate. So if the neighbors are the reason why we haven't seen anything new, it would then not be the case that the park is being 'ignored.' If CGA were truely ignored, we would not be seeing these awesome Haunt events and would be lucky if we only had 1 haunted maze. So in my point of view, it does look like Cedar Fair is doing what they could within their constraints for this park. And as I think I mentioned before, maybe removing their Invertigo was the only feasible way to add something new to the park to skirt around those pesky neighbors (who can suck it by the way!).

And as I think I mentioned before, maybe removing their Invertigo was the only feasible way to add something new to the park to skirt around those pesky neighbors (who can suck it by the way!).

I agree with this. And the ride they did take out had to be marketable at another park, and Invertigo was the best option.

"The good news is that apparently they are finally eyeballing the park for a major new attraction in either 2012 or 2013. One rumor is that the GCI wooden coaster that was designed could be back on track, possibly moved a bit to take up some of this location and avoid the complaints from the neighbors that delayed it before. Other rumors say that something entirely new may come in to replace Invertigo. Either way, if Invertigo is coming down, we wont have long to wait." From Screamscape.

Also:

"2012 - Invertigo - Rumor - (1/29/11) In case you missed the rumor from California’s Great America, it has been confirmed that their Invertigo coaster will be removed in the next few weeks to be sent to another Cedar Fair park. The early rumor, even before the removal was confirmed, was that it was going to Dorney Park for the 2012 season. This would make Dorney Park the only park in the country (world maybe too) to have 3 true Inverted coasters. (No, I’m not counting Suspended or Flying coasters) Stay tuned!"

& No I don't believe CGA is going to disappear like most of you think. CF IS slowely, turning CGA around. They gave CGA Firewall & new shows & haunt mazes. CF extended CGA's hours. I know CGA is located in a tough spot between the offices, airport, & soon the stadium but CF will make things work. Plus they care about Invertigo's loss so they will give CGA something new & GOOD & that's next year we will see something new. They aren't making us wait any longer. But I sure hope it's not a Windseeker! If you think about it there is room for a couple new decent coasters over the next few years. If they clear trees, the pay extra race track, & revise the picnic area. Maybe they will end up taking out Grizzly & Vortex too & replacing it with 3 kick ass coasters-2 in Grizzly's spot & 1 in Vortex's spot. Leave Demon & Top Gun those are fine. & They can also expand Boomerang Bay by putting in more slides. I think it will be worth waiting a few more years since CF has been showing interest. I trust CF.