TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If people would say , “The capital originally intended for CGA was repurposed for KI instead”, that makes more sense. But saying a coaster went to park A instead of park B... there’s absolutely no way

Oh yeah, no complaints alright. I just hope all this virus crap doesn't affect our 2021.

Just found out not too long ago the parks in our area can reopen but Santa Clara county is forcing them to stay shut. In other news, scbb might be the first to open under newsoms new guidelines. 

Posted Images

^ Just a side note to say, I visited the Bay Area recently and was truly shocked that drivers actually paid attention to crosswalks. It took me a while to get used to the fact that I actually had the right of way, walking, in a crosswalk. In most parts of the US a crosswalk means- make the sign of the cross when trying to get to the other side and hope you make it.

With todays soceity, I don't even check to see if cars are coming 95% of the time. If they don't wanna stop, they can pay for my college

^ Just a side note to say, I visited the Bay Area recently and was truly shocked that drivers actually paid attention to crosswalks. It took me a while to get used to the fact that I actually had the right of way, walking, in a crosswalk. In most parts of the US a crosswalk means- make the sign of the cross when trying to get to the other side and hope you make it.

I've run into the opposite issue. Growing up in So Cal, I learned when you have right of way as a ped, you have right of way. I was taught exceptions exist in downtown LA, but overall if it was a crosswalk I should cross if I had the true right of way. In fact, LA county sheriff affirmed that when I almost got run over.

When I went to Vancouver and then Shanghai, I learned the opposite... maybe the hard way...

• 2 weeks later...

Someone much less reliable than the Dippin Dots guy said that they heard Cedar Fair is thinking about changing the name of California Great America. Is this even remotely true? Has anybody else heard this or has somebody been eating too much frozen dairy sugar and their brain stopped working?

I can't imagine them dropping the Great America name. Something more catchy than "California" in front may work though.

In all seriousness, yes that's what would make the most sense. In fact, I would support such a decision.

Makes sense to drop the "California", I'd guess the majority of patrons have no idea there's another Great America 2,000 miles away. No need to distinguish it, I hope they just keep it as Great America.

Cedar Fair's Great America.

Eh, I don't know. It would be weird as no other Cedar Fair property is branded that way. Unless they plan on rebranding all the parks, like Six Flags has. Cedar Fair's Cedar Point. Cedar Fair's Valley Fair. Cedar Fair's Knott's Berry Farm. Um, no. Plus Cedar Fair parks all their own unique identities, unlike Six Flags parks. When you think of Six Flags you think of two things. Big coasters and parking lots. No one really expects or cares the lack of overall themeing. Landscaping sucks. Food sucks. Shopping sucks. Atmosphere sucks. Ambiance sucks. People go to Six Flags for big thrills. That's it. Though to be fair the company has realized more recently that that model just isn't sustainable and they are finally doing something about it. That something is copying Cedar Fair, because I don't think that most people really identify individual Cedar Fair parks as being part of a bigger company. There is not really one identity that typifies what you get at each park. Mostly due in part to the name not being tacked onto the front. I know people, coaster people, who still aren't really aware that Knott's Berry Farm and CGA and Cedar Point are all part of the same company. And that could actually be in the company's benefit. At least in my mind.

In many ways, re-branding seems almost futile in the region. NorCal will always reference their two parks as Six Flags and Great America regardless of what reincarnation of the name the park goes by.

Cedar Fair's Great America.

Eh, I don't know. It would be weird as no other Cedar Fair property is branded that way. Unless they plan on rebranding all the parks, like Six Flags has. Cedar Fair's Cedar Point. Cedar Fair's Valley Fair. Cedar Fair's Knott's Berry Farm. Um, no. Plus Cedar Fair parks all their own unique identities, unlike Six Flags parks. When you think of Six Flags you think of two things. Big coasters and parking lots. No one really expects or cares the lack of overall themeing. Landscaping sucks. Food sucks. Shopping sucks. Atmosphere sucks. Ambiance sucks. People go to Six Flags for big thrills. That's it. Though to be fair the company has realized more recently that that model just isn't sustainable and they are finally doing something about it. That something is copying Cedar Fair, because I don't think that most people really identify individual Cedar Fair parks as being part of a bigger company. There is not really one identity that typifies what you get at each park. Mostly due in part to the name not being tacked onto the front. I know people, coaster people, who still aren't really aware that Knott's Berry Farm and CGA and Cedar Point are all part of the same company. And that could actually be in the company's benefit. At least in my mind.

I'm interested in serious thoughts on this, but NorCal may be the one location where Six Flags carries a better reputation than Cedar Fair (or at least the local Cedar Fair park, Great America). A lot more funding in the last decade has gone into SF:DK, not just for thrills but to maintain the family qualities that Marine World Africa USA was known for. It felt like for a good decade (2002 - 2012), Great America really slogged along. With exception of Boomerang Bay, the park gradually saw sections/hallmark attractions removed, coasters taken out, flats not replaced, rides not repainted until Cedar Fair stepped in, and even a four year stint where the only additions were changes in live entertainment, a wave pool, and a garden in place of where the Triple Wheel and Invertigo used to stand.

I remember when SF:DK first ran Christmas in the Park in 2009 and Gilroy Gardens in 2011. Both were done really festive and staff were of such great spirit. I was shocked how pitiful Great America's first go at a Winter Wonderland in 2013 (think county fair with Christmas lights. Quite tacky/makeshift and almost something I would expect from the Oakland Zoo). I think continuity from the old parks really makes a difference for SF:DK (Marine World since 1980s) and Gilroy (many employees are the same as when Bonfante opened in 2001) as culture and staff family from the old parks is very much sensible/felt in the experience whereas really feels like a true Six Flags-type seasonal operation.

If the park got a rebrand, the population would still refer to it as California's Great America. Many Minnesotans still refer to Nickelodeon Universe as Camp Snoopy, even though the licensing and themeing was dropped nearly a decade ago and replaced. I'm sure some people still refer to it as a Paramount park.