TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If people would say , “The capital originally intended for CGA was repurposed for KI instead”, that makes more sense. But saying a coaster went to park A instead of park B... there’s absolutely no way

Oh yeah, no complaints alright. I just hope all this virus crap doesn't affect our 2021.

Just found out not too long ago the parks in our area can reopen but Santa Clara county is forcing them to stay shut. In other news, scbb might be the first to open under newsoms new guidelines. 

Posted Images

Part of me feels like Wonder Woman is a clone of Railblazer, not vice versa. Railblazer seems to fit in its spot perfectly snug, as if it was uniquely designed for CGA. Even though Wonder Woman was announced first, I really think Railblazer was the "original," and SFFT mirrored and cloned it and slapped it in their park and announced it first to claim "world's first." Just a thought.

These rides were always intended to be stock/cloned rides, RMC has talked about this since they were first introduced. Not to mention the blueprints for the coasters have been out for years, doubt it was designed specifically for CGA or SFFT.

Gotcha. I didn't know that. I guess I was just surprised at how well Railblazer fits in that spot, giving me the idea that it was specifically designed for that spot and not some off-the-shelf ride.

I just find it so fascinating that Six Flags and Cedar Fair are adding the exact same prototype ride in the exact same year. That doesn't happen too often!

Do they have bring a friend days for their season passes? I might get a Cedar Fair pass next year if Knott's also has a good new ride announced.

The Six Flags pass has been such a deal for me this year though with the free parking and getting people in for free.

California’s Great America Debuts First of its Kind Single Rail Steel Coaster for 2018

Wow. I'm still in shock that CGA is really going to have a ride of this magnitude. For starters, it shows that CF isn't just going to let the park be in a state of limbo like it was during a portion of the Paramount years.

I love the rock work! Who cares if it's a clone? It looks like it's going to be a great ride and fit in really well at the park, and it'll be unlike anything else in the state. Congrats, CGA!

Yeah I've already read some youtube comments whining about this. Nobody cares. Its obviously going to blow minds and I don't give a rat's rump if it has a clone in Texas. In the coming years we'll be seeing more of these and that fact has neither a positive or negative impact on CGA having Railblazer.

Spoiler alert: RMC does clones now.

The very first comment after the announcement. THE VERY FIRST!!! And it's someone complaining and bitching.

This is why I CANNOT STAND ROLLER COASTER ENTHUSIASTS!!!!!

After the 2017 year we just had where very little was built, very little was innovative, absolutely NOBODY should be complaining about new and unique rides being announced. NOBODY!!!

Seriously go find another hobby "RollerManic" because no one wants that type of crap attitude around here.

Even though I mainly just lurk, this site quickly became one of my favorite forums. I get flabbergasted whenever I see that type of post. We've already known for a few months that 2018 was shaping up to be incredible. Now that the reality is starting to set in with these announcements and it increases the anticipation of what's to come, its unreal to see anything resembling negativity or criticism.

This park's getting a major coaster. Period. Anyone who loves roller coasters and especially those in this area or planning a trip here in 2018 should be doing cartwheels down the street.

Now all that needs to be done is tearing out Grizzly for another kick A$$ ride and the transformation of CGA is mostly complete.

Can we just appreciate the fact that CGA is getting a new coaster? The drought is over.

Agreed!

I mean this park went through a 12 year dry spell before Gold Striker was added.

Congrats to CGA! Looks like an awesome addition, love the theming too!

Can we just appreciate the fact that CGA is getting a new coaster? The drought is over.

Is it even really that much of a drought? Gold Striker came in 2013, just four years ago. That's not that long to me.

Can we just get a Alan Schilke thread going? He is slowly becoming my roller coaster god. who would have ever though one man and once company combined could change the industry so much. Who cares if it is a clone, You can never have too much RMC in one park.

Between CGA and Knott's, Cedar Fair on the west coast is killing it! If anyone doubted their 20 year plan, this ride and its theming should give the naysayers something to think about. I wonder how the construction will affect Haunt, as the construction site sits right up against one of their haunted house locations.

While I was impressed the addition of Wonder Woman at SFFT, and I still think that's a great addition for that park, and looks nice there, THIS blows it away in my opinion! For me, I'm a HUGE fan of themeing, and all the rocks, tunnels, and water surrounding this installation really add to this version's presentation! I LOVE the entire look of the coaster, and its surrounding area, and think it's a fantastic addition to the park. I've never been to CGA, but I've already told my brother who lives in LA that the next time I visit him, we're taking a Bro Road Trip up the coast to the Bay Area to hit up CGA and SFDK, and I'm definitely excited to be able to get a ride on this coaster! That back seat sure looks like the "money seat" on these Raptor coasters! Coming over that first drop especially... Woo Hoo!!! Another perfect fit for Cedar Fair!

Definitely true. I feel like some enthusiasts start cheerleading certain companies (DAE RMC?!) and hating on others (Boring & Mild). I'm certainly guilty of this with my fanboyism of Intamin. But recently I feel like everyone is significantly improving their designs and that makes me super excited for the next decade. I think it's safe to say we're living in a coaster renaissance!

While your point of a coaster renaissance is very true, the DAE RMC and Boring & Mild things are just tongue-in-cheek jokes on the r/rollercoasterjerk subreddit. We're just making fun of the over the top enthusiasts out there in a nonsensical way for fun. That includes TPR as well

Seeing what RMC is doing with Hurler really does make you wonder if Grizzly isn't beyond saving after all.

In lurk mode I read this whole thread and I saw many laugh several years ago when the possibility of RMC turning Grizzly shit into Grizzly salad was brought up. Most said just burn it to the ground which is something I pretty much agree with.

The ride is a bore. While I haven't rode every wooden coaster in the world obviously, I think it deserves its 'worst' label.

Torch it or give it a second life and let RMC get its hands all over it? I have no idea which would actually be cheaper. I assume a big part of that would depend on its potential replacement.

Seeing what RMC is doing with Hurler really does make you wonder if Grizzly isn't beyond saving after all.

In lurk mode I read this whole thread and I saw many laugh several years ago when the possibility of RMC turning Grizzly shit into Grizzly salad was brought up. Most said just burn it to the ground which is something I pretty much agree with.

The ride is a bore. While I haven't rode every wooden coaster in the world obviously, I think it deserves its 'worst' label.

Torch it or give it a second life and let RMC get its hands all over it? I have no idea which would actually be cheaper. I assume a big part of that would depend on its potential replacement.

Who's the guy on here that kept trolling this and the Knott's thread about that rare intamin surf rider? Quiet now. Either way, that negative energy went to way better things. Announcements period are $. We are fortunate.

I mean... it fits the mold and the description from the conference call. It's also a reasonably priced coaster which is an important factor to consider when they're adding 4 coasters in one year (regardless of what the payment structure is).

Nailed it

It's not exciting for coaster enthusiasts, but the ride was really smooth (as of 2014). It's a great family coaster. Most of the RMC conversions are when a ride becomes painful.

Who's the guy on here that kept trolling this and the Knott's thread about that rare intamin surf rider? Quiet now. Either way, that negative energy went to way better things. Announcements period are $. We are fortunate.

I thought you were referring to westcoasterking.

Bill most certainly isn't trolling.

Believe it or not people are often (I'd even say usually) wrong when making predictions about new rides with little information to go on. I fail to see the point of your post.
I agree and another thing...making predictions for this park is even more difficult than most. Months ago when rumors/speculation went into overdrive, no one seriously imagined CGA getting a ride of this magnitude. Other than Gold Striker, CGA had been in a sort of limbo for years.

The announcement was best case scenario.

IMO it also allows the real possibility of parks like Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, etc. to get some killer additions in the coming years. Some of the fans of those parks are a tad doom and gloom but there's light at the end of the tunnel even though some believed the light was turned off due to cost cutting measures.

If they're willing to make a serious investment in CGA, it'll be their turn soon.

It's not exciting for coaster enthusiasts, but the ride was really smooth (as of 2014). It's a great family coaster. Most of the RMC conversions are when a ride becomes painful.

Good points.

Unfortunately it was closed on the day I went a few months ago. I rode it in the 80s and 90s but wanted to ride it again now that it has that label attached to it. I don't remember it having that reputation back then. All I know is the fact it had/has long lines...so somebody likes it.

You're right. Its a good family coaster but at what point does it warrant removal? Its taking up valuable space back there that could easily be put to better use.

All I know is the fact it had/has long lines...so somebody likes it.

You're right. Its a good family coaster but at what point does it warrant removal? Its taking up valuable space back there that could easily be put to better use.

Well yeah, it's popular with kids and those who don't want the extreme thrills, which is why it's still worth keeping I think, it's a good stepping stone or starter coaster. Its not rough at all, but there's zero thrill for any thrill ride veteran.

The reason for the long lines though is mainly because of the horrendous dispatch times. It's probably the slowest dispatching ride I've ever seen not counting VR coasters. The seats and restraints are funky and over complicated resulting in lots of rechecks and an extremely inordinate number of walks of shame. It's usually >5 minutes per train. If you walk up and see just a station wait, that's usually about a half hour. At least the station is covered.

If you want to try it without waiting, it's actually pretty easy due to the fact that Grizzly usually does not open with the park. It will usually open about 90 minutes after the park opens, so you can ride other things at park open and then walk over and ride Grizzly right when it opens to avoid the slow moving line.

Personally I'd like them to keep it around, but I wouldn't be opposed to an RMC conversion, because, I mean come on, who would turn down an RMC?

I feel like the Grizzly RMC talk has been done to death in this thread.

Well realistically at this point with RMC's reputation, any wooden coaster not at SFGAdv that's more than a few years old and not of historical significance is going to get the RMC discussion.

In 1000+ page threads, just about every discussion has been "done to death", including one of the subjects of your last post in this thread...the twenty year plan. I just didn't have a need or see a reason to yawn over it.

Search functions, how do they work? http://themeparkreview.com/forum/search.php?keywords=Grizzly+RMC&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search