TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'm thinking this is going to be bigger than we think. At first, I was on the RMC raptor train, but I'm thinking this MIGHT be a coaster similar to Maverick with a mountain theme.

I'm with you there. It was definitely larger than I expected, and I suspect it will expand beyond the construction site.

IMG_4497a.thumb.jpg.3d3e8c7c1b224b4b9cff6d92125aca51.jpg

View of construction site from the Demon's queue

IMG_4486a.thumb.jpg.1da76288cfeb9f9909b3a7786bb957b6.jpg

Peek-a-boo

IMG_4487a.thumb.jpg.c9a858ec23c31c418b1f4a8b91313c77.jpg

To the left

IMG_4488a.thumb.jpg.ac6bd9719b659131bffb43af7a35f26e.jpg

To the right

I wish Whizzer was still there

Same here. It was gone long before I was born. But at least it's still at the Great America in Illinois.

Heck yeah! And the park takes exceptional care of it, thankfully. They now realize what a treasure and rarity they have. It's a luxury for me as I'm 45 minutes from the park.

There were originally 5 trains in operation on Whizzer (there were no seatbelts or airgates until around the time Shockwave was built). They run between 2 and 3 now. The trains are rotated through a rehab schedule and almost always look like brand new... but the BMW headlights and taillights are long gone. Maintenance clearly takes pride in their Whizzer work!

IMG_4176.thumb.JPG.df27b8bc94622723a55fa80c54cf5beb.JPG

I really need to get a better picture of this. You guys in Santa Clara get a mention!

1137411467_SFGAMjuly2009096.thumb.jpg.84369ba8fbd996281c4064479885645b.jpg

I just read earlier today that Delirium has been given the 'all clear' to reopen....as well as La Revolución at Knotts and Beach Blaster at Belmont Park.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/01/great-americas-delirium-thrill-ride-can-reopen-state-says/

For those not wanting to click the link, the relevant info:

State safety officials on Tuesday gave the go ahead to reopen Great America’s Delirium pendulum thrill ride and two similar rides, three of the six attractions closed last week after a fatal accident of a Fire Ball ride at the Ohio State Fair.

Also reopening are the La Revolución” at Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park and the “Beach Blaster” at Belmont Park in San Diego.

Three other thrill rides in California remain closed: Fire Ball at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, G Force at the Orange County Fair, Fire Ball at the Cal Expo State Fair. Those three have the same design as the one involved in the Ohio accident.

The rides were voluntarily closed July 27 in the wake of an accident involving a Fire Ball that killed on person and injured seven others.

I'm hoping Fire Ball will reopen at Santa Cruz since I'll be going there in two weeks.

Well, in other news: CGA will not be the "first" and more likely NOT getting the RMC raptor track. Somebody made the mistake and released plans that SFFT is getting the first RMC raptor track. I hate it got leaked . . . BUT . . . now my expectations is high for that Maverick clone!

Which Dippin Dot's guy told you? I want a name and badge number, stat!

Well, in other news: CGA will not be the "first" and more likely NOT getting the RMC raptor track. Somebody made the mistake and released plans that SFFT is getting the first RMC raptor track. I hate it got leaked . . . BUT . . . now my expectations is high for that Maverick clone!

It's on the Six Flags Fiesta thread. USA Today leaked it.

It's on the Six Flags Fiesta thread. USA Today leaked it.

The Dippin Dot's guy leaked it to USA Today, you say?

giphy.gif

THat's what I'm hoping for too although I've yet to ride Maverick.

Wasn't a wing coaster on their 20 year plan or am I mistaking that with another park?

I'm willing to bet money that CGA WILL get an RMC Raptor. I'm also willing to bet that they will get it open before SFFT. And I'm also willing to bet it'll be a similar, if not identical layout.

I'm willing to bet money that CGA WILL get an RMC Raptor. I'm also willing to bet that they will get it open before SFFT. And I'm also willing to bet it'll be a similar, if not identical layout.

I agree with everything you just said. Fiesta Texas has to remove an entire ride before they can start construction, CGA has already started their construction.

Whether or not it will be an RMC Raptor doesn't matter much to me. I'll still be interested to see what this coaster will bring to the park. If it does end up being a Raptor, this might be the first RMC I'll ever ride.

Tell you what. I realize all you CGA guys might be a little disappointed about the whole Raptor thing, so on behalf of every Knotts passholder, in light of Knott's teaser tonight, I would like to offer you a swap. You can have what appears to be our Intamin Surfrider and we'll take the coaster you're supposed to get.

Whether or not it will be an RMC Raptor doesn't matter much to me. I'll still be interested to see what this coaster will bring to the park. If it does end up being a Raptor, this might be the first RMC I'll ever ride.

The verbiage in RMC's post is interesting and almost teasing. "...one of our new raptor coasters for next year".

One of them... as in multiple ones for next year.

tenor.gif

Cedar Fair buying an identical ride to Six Flags in the same year? Seems unlikely to me. I could be wrong, but I wonder if CGA's ride will be a whole different setup.