TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

That would be especially cruel since they would have lost their better and more unique Invertigo for a cruddier, standard Boomerang. Plus Discovery Kingdom already has a boomerang and it's one of the better ones.

Agreed, I don't think it's Boomerang or an Intamin Impulse simply because SFDK already has those rides. It's clear from the CGA Master Plan that CF wants to really invest in this park and make it the premier park in NorCal. They've definitely got some work to do as SFDK has passed it up with all their new additions (Superman, Joker, Wonder Woman, etc). That's why I think this coaster is going to be something new (to the region at least) and unique that will make people want to visit CGA.

Yeah that's their Hyper. For 2018 it will be a small coaster.

Also the impulse was literally in their plans.

^ That's like saying can I still call flight deck top gun.

I still call it Top Gun, naturally. I'm lucky that most people still know what I'm talking about as only the very young crowd gets confused. Flight Deck doesn't roll off the tongue as easy as Top Gun did which makes it more difficult.

^Well...it's trademarked:

https://trademarks.justia.com/866/30/top-86630445.html

Besides, i"m sure it was in the contract to change any names that would confuse them with any Paramount movies. Another ride example is the Drop Zone towers that have to change. "Drop Zone" while a common phrase in the skydiving industry & military, it still had to change as to not confuse it with the prior ownership. Carowinds changed it to a generic "Drop Tower".

Kanonen would be a great "fit" from a ride need standpoint at CGA! Definitely an improvement over a simple Intamin Impulse. Question regarding that particular coaster... I don't have the photoshop skills to probe this, but would Kanonen fit in the proposed Invertigarden spot at CGA?

Sorry if I break this conversation, but I just got back from my first visit to the park for the 2017 season. I have to say, Patriot was a well worth upgrade to Vortex. On my first ride, it was pretty much smooth. Although on my last two rides, it was a bit shaky, but still not as painful as its predecessor. I tried the tri-tip from the new Maggie Brown's, and I think it's the best food the park has had in a while.

There were a few interesting surprises during my visit. Some of them including a female live actor for Mass Effect (which I don't think has happened before), finding a hidden path in between Planet Snoopy and Delirium, which there I found a tease to this year's coming Haunt. But I think the biggest surprise came from something that I realized during the last few hours of the day. Not only did I visit the park by myself for the first time in a while, but this year marks the 15th year I've visited the park. I've been going to the park since 2002 back in the Paramount days. I've seen this park change over the years, and anticipate the changes coming in the future with the new Masterplan (in fact, I'm working on a vlog discussing and speculating about said plans). But I started to realize that even with the new additions, I've been seeing much of the same thing, and it's been getting a bit tiring. I believe there's something that I've taken for granted. The last couple of times I visited the park, it was during WinterFest and when I went with some good friends during my birthday. Each of those visits were unique in their own ways. With my birthday trip, I got to show one of my friends who was new to the park around. And with WinterFest, I got to see the park in a way that I never saw before. But with today, visiting the park as it is normally, by myself, made me realize how great it is to share experiences like these with others.

Part of me feels that perhaps I should take a break from the park after this season is over. I'm planning to move down to Southern California in a few years (hopefully). I think maybe after some time away, I can start over with a fresh mind and see the park again when it's well into the Masterplan expansion, and perhaps appreciate things more, both old and new.

Anyway, I'll share some pics about the other rather interesting things I found during my visit.

IMG_8420.thumb.JPG.d08aba85b7061dbc6ddfc842cab8b285.JPG

I saw they were setting up the new stage behind the carousel. During my first few times I passed by this, they were just painting it.

IMG_8430.thumb.JPG.8cbcf2642183fa3dec0479d68154a72c.JPG

So, apparently FunTV was playing a clip from Mary Poppins (particularly the song, Spoonful of Sugar). I know the karaoke show has "Let It Go" as an option, and I can kinda understand that, but it seemed just surreal to see something like this at a non-Disney park, even if it was just on the queue TVs.

IMG_8431.thumb.JPG.e9cf483d1d57e8bab4bb22d71d71459e.JPG

During my walk down one of the many hidden paths I discovered the facade to the Wax Museum Haunt maze. Not only that, but it even had a sign on the front marking its return to this year's Haunt.

IMG_8432.thumb.JPG.62ab3dd1e05af43eb87eaf93870ade92.JPG

Seems that CGA is testing out a new free flow type of log flume.

IMG_8437.thumb.JPG.4b5a07841d786d23b0751b03ed3571cf.JPG

The hollow remains of Firefall. Nothing much is left except for the water area that looks like it was polluted with the gases used for the fire.

I think Firefall's closure made the opening scene in Mass Effect a bit awkward since that attraction was shown in one of the holograms.

IMG_8438.thumb.JPG.86855a41c25b16b1855eb952889d90b4.JPG

IMG_8441.thumb.JPG.a67ef20b88ae72f618eb46ce91e79f90.JPG

What the new stage looked like later in the day

IMG_8443.thumb.JPG.1b352705bf0a762e66d6ec32944c3502.JPG

I dunno if this was for an occasion, but there were inflatable ducks in the fountain pond.

IMG_8444.thumb.JPG.cb43d9f070423954a7969e3b0798ff4a.JPG

Star Tower is still closed (dunno why it's been closed and why it's taking so long to get the problem fixed). But that didn't stop me from taking this cool picture.

Is it just me or is every observation tower in Cali closed? I wonder if its a state thing. The whole no secondary escape thing. No way to get people down in case of stopping in the air?

I see no indication that Sea World's tower is closed. I could be wrong, but generally they post ride closures on their website.

The stick says #10 and the master plan map lists that spot #10 which refers to a Steel Roller Coaster or Water Coaster.

Given that the area is kinda sorta close to Whitewater Falls, what I'm predicting is that they'll remove WWF in the future and use that space plus the Invertigarden for a water coaster. I could be wrong, but that's just my guess.

Looking further into it, I can definitely see now how a coaster going in to the spots of Invertigo and WWF wouldn't be that crazy.

[attachment=0]IMG_7017[1].PNG[/attachment]

It looks completely plausible.

The water from the remote controlled boat area has now been drained. Combine this with White Water Falls, Invertigarden, and the also closed "Beserker", and you've got a footprint for a coaster.

There are some rumors for the Demon getting some upgrades for Haunt along with being called, Demon Re-ignited

^Man! Is Berserker a "Bayern Kurve" type of ride? If so, it's a shame that they'd remove it! There aren't enough of those left as it is!

Also, is White Water Falls rumored to be getting removed, or even closed already? Sorry if these things are well known to the regulars, but I've apparently missed some of that info, focusing mostly on the Invertigarden area for expansion. If indeed all of those things are removed, that definitely opens up a nice sized footprint for a coaster, even an Intamin Blitz type like Maverick!

^Man! Is Berserker a "Bayern Kurve" type of ride? If so, it's a shame that they'd remove it! There aren't enough of those left as it is!

Also, is White Water Falls rumored to be getting removed, or even closed already? Sorry if these things are well known to the regulars, but I've apparently missed some of that info, focusing mostly on the Invertigarden area for expansion. If indeed all of those things are removed, that definitely opens up a nice sized footprint for a coaster, even an Intamin Blitz type like Maverick!

That it is http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/p_205_6987_californias_great_america_berserker

Unfortunately, it has low ridership. I am not sure if it has been up since the beginning of the season, but I haven't seen it running at all. White Water Falls has been closed every time I have been to the park, and there were several survey teams inspecting the area. The park already has a water park, Rip Roaring Rapids, and Loggers Run log flume. WWF's novelty was always the splash zone, but other than that, it wasn't very special or thrilling. I PRAY for an Intamin Blitz. That would really help separate itself from its neighboring park, SFDK.

I didn't even know there was an alternate version of the GT-X concept, doesn't look as intense from the animation but still looks like it has plenty of airtime

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I don't see a big difference between this and the GTX.

Edited by WestCoasterKing