TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Trip Report!!!

Overall, I had a great time at the park. The line waits were good, averaging around 20-30 minutes. A lot of the people I talked to in the lines were nice and friendly.

Gold Striker x3

Flight Deck x3

Psycho Mouse x1

The Grizzly x1

Demon x1

Vortex x2

Cannot wait to hit up my own homepark at Six Flags New England!

Glad you had a good time at the park! GS is definitely one of my top 5 wooden coasters (it might be top-2). There are rides that keep up their paces as well as it does. I wonder if I should re-ride Vortex, I don't think I've been on it in over a year.

Did you get a chance to "ride" the new Mass Effect attraction?

Glad you had a good time at the park! GS is definitely one of my top 5 wooden coasters (it might be top-2). There are rides that keep up their paces as well as it does. I wonder if I should re-ride Vortex, I don't think I've been on it in over a year.

Did you get a chance to "ride" the new Mass Effect attraction?

I did! That ride was unexpectedly pretty awesome! I have played the games so I knew mostly everything before hand but it was pretty good. Gotta give props to the actor at the front, as he did a really good job convincing us we were actually there and everything.

I just visited CGA last thursday. The park was pretty light, and everything except for Grizzly, Tiki Twirl, and Psycho Mouse were practically walk-ons.

Finally got to ride Mass Effect (or as I like to call, Butt Poker the Ride, because of how many times the seat pokes you), and I have to say, through the cautious optimism and what little I already know of the ME series, I was satisfied for the most part. While I agree that this was a much needed and well worth upgrade to the Action Theater and is much better than its predecessor, I feel that there are some faults with the ride, although this is just from personal opinion. The two problems I have is that the ride film itself feels a bit rushed, like it feels there are parts that could've been expanded upon, but it tries to rush through as quickly as possible to satisfy the capacity. But maybe that could've been solved if both sides of the theater were opened, and they refurbished the unused right side. The other problem I have is more of a personal opinion, I feel like the motion isn't as thrilling as the original system was, probably due to the lack of seatbelts. Also, I feel like they tried to take the quick and easy route and just try to copy Star Tours instead of doing something original. But for what it lacks, it makes up a lot in other areas. The 3D is spectacular (especially during the climax), the theming and effects are rather surprising (even though it feels minimal in the queue), and the live actor(s) are the big highlight of the ride, especially with their improvisation. I could write a whole article about this ride, but overall, despite its shortcomings, its a very fun and enjoyable ride, and a much deserved improvement over the Action Theater's last incarnation. I'd definitely say this should be ridden at least twice if not for the actors.

Oh, and another interesting thing I found was at the exit. I saw the doors to the unused right side were slightly ajar. Taking a peek through it, it seems that the area was used pretty much for storage with none of the original ride intact. Then I found this...

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.88b6760b834929ad4efcef9246a8707a.JPG

It was the evacuation plan for the ride. I dunno if this was around before or after ME opened, but if you look closer, the unused side almost looks like it has seating arrangements. Almost as if they do actually plan to reopen it soon, especially with the planned expansion. I could be wrong though as there are no pointing directions like on the side that's being used.

As it has been already mentioned, I did see some of the decorations in preparation for WinterFest and its commercial (as well as made a snarky joke about how Christmas comes too early nowadays). However, I found something more interesting while waiting in line for Grizzly.

IMG_2874.thumb.JPG.a79c38a65e7dc8ce45de57cc903a71ed.JPG

Dunno if this is for Haunt or WinterFest as it was still under construction.

Also, I've been wondering whatever happened to the land sale, it seemed to be quiet ever since they announced their upcoming park expansion. Did Cedar Fair successfully buy out the land? Does anyone know?

I did! That ride was unexpectedly pretty awesome! I have played the games so I knew mostly everything before hand but it was pretty good. Gotta give props to the actor at the front, as he did a really good job convincing us we were actually there and everything.

I just visited CGA last thursday. The park was pretty light, and everything except for Grizzly, Tiki Twirl, and Psycho Mouse were practically walk-ons.

Finally got to ride Mass Effect (or as I like to call, Butt Poker the Ride, because of how many times the seat pokes you), and I have to say, through the cautious optimism and what little I already know of the ME series, I was satisfied for the most part. While I agree that this was a much needed and well worth upgrade to the Action Theater and is much better than its predecessor, I feel that there are some faults with the ride, although this is just from personal opinion. The two problems I have is that the ride film itself feels a bit rushed, like it feels there are parts that could've been expanded upon, but it tries to rush through as quickly as possible to satisfy the capacity. But maybe that could've been solved if both sides of the theater were opened, and they refurbished the unused right side. The other problem I have is more of a personal opinion, I feel like the motion isn't as thrilling as the original system was, probably due to the lack of seatbelts. Also, I feel like they tried to take the quick and easy route and just try to copy Star Tours instead of doing something original. But for what it lacks, it makes up a lot in other areas. The 3D is spectacular (especially during the climax), the theming and effects are rather surprising (even though it feels minimal in the queue), and the live actor(s) are the big highlight of the ride, especially with their improvisation. I could write a whole article about this ride, but overall, despite its shortcomings, its a very fun and enjoyable ride, and a much deserved improvement over the Action Theater's last incarnation. I'd definitely say this should be ridden at least twice if not for the actors.

Yeah, the things that made me really like it (aside from being a fan of the series) were how good the 3D looked (I think it's the sharpest 3D effects I've ever seen) and how good the live actors are. I'm amazed how good they are at interacting with the effects. I've seen two different actors and they both player it slightly differently which I enjoyed as well. Actually my biggest issue with it was that I found that I can't hear what the actor is saying in response to what's going on-screen with all the other action happening. I feel like I could have used behind the seat speakers or something just for the voices. I do kind of wish that it was longer, which using both sides would have helped with (since they could have been staggered), but I think it doesn't bother me much since I sort of know the background. I guess a longer, indoor, line could have also included more background information (like what the different aliens are).

I do kind of wish that it was longer, which using both sides would have helped with (since they could have been staggered), but I think it doesn't bother me much since I sort of know the background. I guess a longer, indoor, line could have also included more background information (like what the different aliens are).

Actually now that I think about it. If they really weren't planning to use the unused side of the Action Theater, they could've probably used it as an extended indoor queue. I did hear rumors that they were supposed to cover the queue in plexiglass, but abandoned the idea because they didn't want the same thing happening like with Gold Striker and Star Tower's vandalism.

Looking into going to the park on 30 Oct. I assume the park is going to be packed for Halloween but how packed is it going to be? Should I skip it (I'll be based in Sacramento) or chance the crowds? Any park planning would be nice as well.

If packed was the best word to describe it, then I would have to say it's going to be packed. Stupid packed.

Looking into going to the park on 30 Oct. I assume the park is going to be packed for Halloween but how packed is it going to be? Should I skip it (I'll be based in Sacramento) or chance the crowds? Any park planning would be nice as well.

We actually went October 30th last year (a Friday), but for Haunt, not the rides. We got Fright Lane and even with it, we faced stupid long lines. We barely ended up going through every maze (but not every Skeleton Key room) because the crowds lightened up toward the end of the night. Scare actors were lacking as well; not sure if everyone just quit their jobs before Halloween weekend but the mazes had very few scare actors and a lot of obvious unused potential. I don't go to the park very often, but it's probably the busiest I've ever seen it. I guess it depends on what you're going for. I'd definitely recommend getting Fright Lane if you're going for Haunt and Fast Lane for the rides.

GREAT AMERICA INTRODUCES PATRIOT FLOORLESS COASTER FOR 2017

SANTA CLARA, CA – Today California’s Great America announced that for the 2017 season, it will introduce Patriot, the first floorless coaster in the park’s 41-year history. Patriot will emerge from the soon to be retired Vortex coaster, the oldest stand up roller coaster in the United States.

Patriot will take riders to a 91-foot height before plummeting them into a 360-degree loop at 45 miles per hour. Patriot’s position in the park makes it a dynamic visual from three different sections of Great America.

The inspiration for the coaster’s name was taken from the fact that the ride is nestled adjacent to All American Corners within a park whose name celebrates America.

The transition from a stand up to floorless ride will include state-of-the-art blue and white trains positioning guests with their feet dangling above the blue and white track.

“With the track visible beneath their fee, Patriot will create unique and exciting new perspectives throughout the ride,” said California’s Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg.

Guests can take their “Last Stand” on Vortex through September 5. Then work will begin to ready Patriot for the 2017 season.

Great America’s season continues weekend operations through Oct. 30, with Halloween Haunt running Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from Sept. 24-Oct. 30.

WinterFest debuts and takes center stage Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from Nov. 25-Dec. 30, with daily operations Dec. 19-23 and 26-30. Guests can ice skate in front of the iconic Carousel Columbia, admire magnificent displays of lights and décor, view spectacular live holiday shows, experience 18 rides, see Santa’s workshop and Mrs. Claus’ kitchen, and enjoy scrumptious holiday foods around the park.

Season Passes for the 2017 season go on sale today at the lowest price of the season, offering unlimited admission for the rest of 2016 and all of 2017. 2017 Gold Season Passes are now on sale for 9 easy payments of $9.75 and include unlimited visits during the rest of the 2016 season, admission to Halloween Haunt, WinterFest, Gilroy Gardens (excluding Lumination), unlimited admission during the 2017 season, and more.

More details: https://www.cagreatamerica.com/what-s-new/2017-announcement

Patriot1_300dpi_6x9.thumb.jpg.79c5080d4f73f0ac8a1d35769669ae75.jpg

Patriot2_300dpi_6x9.thumb.jpg.1c15a98a5a12817abfe6efab13f6fb3e.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

If packed was the best word to describe it, then I would have to say it's going to be packed. Stupid packed.

This. Easily the busiest day of the season. Buy Fright Lane, Fast Lane, any line skipping passes you can find, you'll need 'em. That's the Sunday before Halloween which is on a Monday, so most people will be out partying Saturday and Sunday instead. If you're based in Sacramento you could do what I usually do which is to hit CGA early in the morning when it opens, and then drive the extra hour down to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk to relax later in the day. CGA is less likely to be busier at opening since most people will be coming for Haunt at night, and SCBB, though probably still to be busy because of the holiday weekend, won't have the stupid level night crowds that CGA is likely to have.

You could also go to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, it will still be busy, but it's a shorter drive (50-60 min versus 120 to CGA).

Great addition! The name is a little rehashed, in typical Cedar Fair fashion... But at least it's not called Patriot Hawk!

Also, hard to say this is out of nowhere, as this was discussed en masse for last year's addition. People were just a year off!

Great addition! The name is a little rehashed, in typical Cedar Fair fashion... But at least it's not called Patriot Hawk!

Also, hard to say this is out of nowhere, as this was discussed en masse for last year's addition. People were just a year off!

I meant out of nowhere as in, nobody expected their announcement today. All the focus was on the other Cedar Fair parks making their announcement today! I probably should've made that clear in my original post.

While the bickering and bitching continues in the other Cedar Fair threads, this is actually a solid addition, and is space friendly for the park. Wait until the KD and Dorney fanboys find out

I meant out of nowhere as in, nobody expected their announcement today. All the focus was on the other Cedar Fair parks making their announcement today! I probably should've made that clear in my original post.

Got it! And yes, it did really fly under the radar!