TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Does anyone else think that this will be CGA's entry into the "Amusement Dark" series that currently has Guardian and Iron Reef, or do you think the park will eventually get an actual dark ride? It has been mentioned that every CF park may eventually get one, but I'd be a bit surprised if this was part of it.

That's a good question. On one hand, this is supposedly an interactive 4D attraction (which is what Guardian and Iron Reef are). But part of me still thinks that there might be a separate dark ride built in the future (my hopes go that they build it in the old IMAX building, with possible extensions to it given the current size of the building and the space in between)

• 2 weeks later...

^ If they were to use the old IMAX building, then they would have to get rid of the maze that resides in there. I don't see us getting a dark ride soon, but it could be somewhere in the pipeline for the near future.

In other news, I'm going to the park tonight to get my Gold Striker count up again as well as check out some of the new stuff for Haunt this year such as Insanitarium. I also found out that tonight is college night so to my understanding it may be pretty crowded tonight.

I'll try to do a report later on when I get back. Will anyone else be going tonight?

I don't know if anybody has said this before, but couldn't the park put in an impulse coaster in the old Greezed Lightnin space. (which I understand there is already an impulse coaster close enough at SFDK)

^That would be the best option in my opinion, would be pretty cool to get back a launch coaster in the park.

Also, sorry about not reporting as I didn't make it to the park but I am going to try again tonight.

If anyone is going tonight, i'm going to be wearing my bacon strips, bacon strips, bacon strips EMT sweater with a TPR shirt. Or just look for the guy who's vaping and making clouds, lol.

Sorry for the double post guys,but here's my report from last night. (didn't go through all the mazes though)

Got there a little before opening and it wasn't too crowded like I thought it would be, so it made for a nice slow night. Gold Striker was running great as always, bumpy but not rough at all. Flight Deck was also great, looked nice with the new paint job and also the upgraded touches in line were nice as well.

INSANITARIUM: While although it may be new hotness this year, I felt that it was lacking in a way. Upon entry, there were very little to no characters at all for about three rooms. Then it started to pick up a bit, but not by much. Things got better towards the second half of the maze, around where the bricks are falling. Other than that, the maze was a 3.5 out of 5, the decor is what saved it from being lower.

Roadkill: While although very similar to Slaughterhouse, I'd go as far as saying this is a lot better. The feeling is more mysterious, and it gets to you as well. The new props in this maze are great, example: the rolling barrels. PLenty of characters as well. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Zombie High: I loved this maze last year and it's still great this year, only downside to me is the new thing in the beginning where they take your photo. I mean yes it's good for them to do that to make more revenue throughout the night, but it just seems six flaggish to me as well. Characters were great in this maze as always, i'd give the maze a 4.5 out of 5.

Madame Marie's: Great again as always, the decor is always great and never lets you down. Scares were great here as well, made me jump a few times as well. Characters aplenty in this maze, every turn there was someone either still behind you or in front of you. Definitely another 4.5 out of 5 for me.

Now for the scare-zones.

Lockdown: While it's great to have the cool look of it all with the shipping containers, the overall feel for it was a little lack-luster. Some scares were great, but some need to work on sliding better. 3 out of 5.

Killer Clown Town: Absolutely the best hands down bar none. The over all feel of it was just great, especially with the Sideshow going on. Playing great music, having great talent throughout the night as well. Sat there for awhile watching the drummer and the DJ have a great time. 4.5 out of 5.

Evacuate: Although again new, was lacking as well. I felt that they had newer actors and weren't super into it yet, still getting acclimated. Still a nice scare-zone all around though. 3 out of 5

Other than that, I had a great night just taking it all in first, planning to go again this coming weekend. Do some of the shows as well next time. That's my report and i'd give my evening a 4 out of 5.

I was there during the morning on the 17th, and the park was pretty empty (finally after who knows how many rides, I finally got a front seat ride on Gold Striker!!), only Gold Striker really had any wait, and even it was maybe 15-20 minutes. GS was down briefly during the morning, but came back up and seemed to be up for the rest of the day I was there (until mid afternoon). My question for you guys, has the park been crowded at night for Haunt? I never really care about the Haunt stuff so usually go during the day in the fall, but I was surprised by how empty it was. I'm figuring/hoping it means the park is getting busy at night instead, right?

As for the Mass Effect ride, interesting that Carowinds also recently announced a ride based on an EA property, Plants Vs Zombies. There are a decent number of details about it out there (http://www.coaster101.com/2015/10/08/carowinds-announces-plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-3z-arena-for-2016/), much moreso than the Mass Effect Ride. But, seeing as it's a ride based on an EA game, and happening in an updated Carowinds Action Theater, I'm thinking there's a good chance that this could be similar. It might lack the interactive part, just because I figure CGA would have pushed that part if was happening, but it certainly would fit in a Mass Effect ride to be blasting bad guys.

Does anyone else think that this will be CGA's entry into the "Amusement Dark" series that currently has Guardian and Iron Reef, or do you think the park will eventually get an actual dark ride? It has been mentioned that every CF park may eventually get one, but I'd be a bit surprised if this was part of it.

That's a good question. On one hand, this is supposedly an interactive 4D attraction (which is what Guardian and Iron Reef are). But part of me still thinks that there might be a separate dark ride built in the future (my hopes go that they build it in the old IMAX building, with possible extensions to it given the current size of the building and the space in between)

I know it has been discussed and said before, but I can 99% CONFIRM there will never be a ride going in the old IMAX building, the building is too old and deteriorated to use in any manner past what it is now, the 2nd half of a haunt maze.

I would venture to guess that this will be it for a "dark ride" for the foreseeable future, but i really don't know for sure. I do know that we are in desperate need of a good steel coaster addition, and I HIGHLY doubt that will come in the form of a grizzly hybrid. The structure likely wouldn't support it, next time your there watch the turnaround by demon for a few cycles and see how much the whole thing sways.

We have been getting increasingly busier for Haunt as the haunt season goes on, the 17th was pretty packed, it was rumored we were near capacity. Sunday nights are still pretty damn dead though, with Friday's being in-between. I would expct HEAVY crowds for the 23,24, 30, and 31st, and if you want to come still and have the option, come on the 25th.

Totally thought that CGA would be open at least a few days in November, but it turns out its last day of the season is November 1st. How crowded would it be? It says it's open from 10 AM to 5:30. Is going to a park on its last day of the season a bad idea?

^

I've never been to CGA, but closing day is usually dead (or close to) at most regional parks.

I find it a little odd that this park doesn't stay open year-round (or at least until Christmas) since the park is in a relatively warm climate, not to mention that their biggest competitor (Discovery Kingdom) is open year-round.

Edited by VF15

Is going to a park on its last day of the season a bad idea?

Better to go to a packed park then not going to it for another like 3-4+ months IMHO.

also out of curiosity, does CGA close their bumper car arena to put a maze up in it?

I don't know how it will be on the last day of operation, but i'm willing to go find out as well.

Fire2box, yes CGA does close their bumper car arena for a maze, as it's a prime spot as well.

Row 7! It was a good day there. Sad to see it go, but it will be back with more UMPH next season with that new ride. Can't wait

I may have seen you there, what were you wearing? I was just wearing my work shirt saying,"Keep Mod Weird"

Probably ran into eachother! I had a grey dos equis shirt black and orange volcom hat, friend had a grey element shirt. We rallied on GS for a while without getting off

Row 7! It was a good day there. Sad to see it go, but it will be back with more UMPH next season with that new ride. Can't wait

I may have seen you there, what were you wearing? I was just wearing my work shirt saying,"Keep Mod Weird"

Probably ran into eachother! I had a grey dos equis shirt black and orange volcom hat, friend had a grey element shirt. We rallied on GS for a while without getting off

I did see you guys, looked like you were enjoying the hell out of the dead crowds and walk-ons.

Was there yesterday. It was empty and I heard one ride operator on the Vortex declare that she was bored. The lines on the Gold Striker never extended beyond the stairs before the station so towards the end of the day, I seized the opportunity to have a mini ERT on the Gold Striker. Got 6 ride in about 40-45 minutes, which is good considering the ride's popularity. I also saw a bunch of people who did the same thing on the Gold Striker.

Wanted to post a brief TR about Saturday....

OMG, the crowds were insane! I was about an hour late and my friend did Boofet and was able to do a couple mazes and rides before I showed up, but when we saw the crowds pouring in we were like, "Yep, let's get Fright Lane!" Well they actually SOLD OUT of Fright Lane but were printing more. When I got mine a bit later, they had run out of the nifty Skeleton Key keychains, and I heard that later they were even printing Fright Lane passes on regular paper because they ran out of the laminated stuff! Wow! Lines for the Skeleton Key rooms themselves were about half an hour, so we skipped them all except Madame Marie's and Cornstalkers later (dang, I said "I'm not gonna eat or drink anything gross!" but I felt obligated to, so I took a sip of the warm yellow vinegar. Yuck!)

We were able to do all of the mazes once each with Mirror Mirror twice because we waited in the regular line before getting Fright Lane, saw League of Villains show, caught some of the acrobatics show by the carousel, and none of the rides. Overall, I thought we did pretty well considering it was the Friday before Halloween!

It had been a while since I'd been to CGA Haunt and I've finally gotten to experience other Haunts now to compare CGA too. I think CGA has some really great mazes but overall, there were not enough scareactors!!! In so many of the mazes, there would be room after room with no scareactors, or one guy trying to scare like 50 people. Really, I don't know what was up with it because my friend said it wasn't this bad earlier in the season, Idk if a bunch of people just quit their jobs before Halloween weekend, but there were just so few scareactors. I think if CGA can hire more good actors, they would have 100x better of a Haunt because I thought the mazes were pretty well done!

Well, most of them. I loved Toy Factory in the past but it's just really outdated, I think Toy Factory and Cornstalkers needs to go in favor of something fresh.

I thought Insanitarium was interesting, I liked how you essentially walked through the sanitarium twice and the second time was weirder, but it was kind of confusing what the earthquake had to do with things and why we were walking through all the same rooms twice, and there were still hardly any scareactors in this!

I really liked Wax Museum but again, there were a lot of empty spaces where I think there were supposed to be actors! I really wanted to walk through this slower and look at all the detail, but I felt pressured to go fast because of all the lines.

Madame Marie's, Dia, and Zombie High were all about how I remembered them from before, and I think they're all pretty solid mazes although I'm not a huge fan of zombie mazes.

Mirror Mirror... the first time we went through, we waited half an hour and got to be in the maze like a minute before they ushered us out. The second time we used Fright Lane and OMG... we were in there SOOOO LONNGGG!!! It was so disorienting and awesome being in there so long, it felt like we were in there at least 10 minutes! No kidding! It's not really scary but I have an affinity for corn mazes and things like that so I really appreciated this maze. I almost walked into walls a few times too! My friend thought the mirrors needed some serious cleaning but I wasn't as bothered by it, or maybe chugging that beer beforehand made me not care? So if you buy Fright Lane, you're gonna be in the maze for a long time. If you wait, you're not going to be in there much time. I did NOT appreciate this when I was the one waiting, but I appreciated it when I had Fright Lane!

Hmm that was kinda a long TR, but moral of the story, Haunts are always better earlier in the month! Too bad there are only so many weekends compared to so many awesome Haunts to do! I wish Halloween season was as long as Christmas!

I have a compilation video of Academy of Villains but I'm having some technical difficulties so I'll post it later. I really liked all the songs they used! ANddd...THE NAE NAE!! haha I've danced the Nae Nae at so many amusement parks this year!

EDIT: Here we go

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

When line cutters attack!
SANTA CLARA , Calif. (KGO) -- Two young adults claim they were brutally attacked at a Bay Area amusement park.

It was supposed to be a fun Halloween night for a brother and sister at Great America in Santa Clara but they say they were attacked when they objected to people jumping in line.

http://abc7ne.ws/1MB8v9s

It was bound to happen eventually, I mean when you mix BIG crowds with alcohol, some fights are bound to break out eventually.

Honestly, the GP I saw at CGA Haunt was worse than any other GP I've seen this year, Haunt or otherwise. Even Magic Mountain Fright Fest and HHN didn't seem as bad! This is sad for the two victims who were just trying to have a good time and speak up against line jumpers. After the lines we saw this past weekend, easily an hour or two for some of the mazes, I would have spoken up against the line jumpers too!

So I got to visit the park on the last day of operation (forgive me if this is a bit belated). It was kinda interesting to me that I visited the park on its first and last day of the season. I thought I'd give a mini TR.

The park was pretty much empty, which surprised me since I've never seen such a small amount of guests on the days I've visited. Almost everything was pretty much a walk on, including Gold Striker. Even rides such as Tiki Twirl and Grizzly had a pretty short wait. During my visit I could see one or two employees starting to take down some of the Haunt stuff. I decided to check on the status of Action Theater during its transition into Mass Effect. Wow, talk about a makeover! Almost the entire building was painted blue (which somewhat reminded me of when BTTF was transformed into the Simpsons at Universal) and all of the stuff in the preshow area was dismantled (the TVs, the banner, the signs, even that stage thing in the middle). I rode the Delta Flyer to get a slightly better view of the area, and I noticed in the middle of the preshow area there were two circular platforms that looked like they could spin. If I remember correctly, in the early years of its original run, those platforms were used in showing props that were related to the ride. I have some pics to show of the construction (though I wasn't able to get an aerial pic because I probably forgot or something).

IMAG0228.thumb.jpg.1865795e3925e0b1e5255c4cf4caa889.jpg

A better look at construction. If you look closer, you can see that platform thing I mentioned.

IMAG0230.thumb.jpg.76c9dd82e0a29bf206533cb5211c3be1.jpg

Almost everything is gone..

IMAG0229.thumb.jpg.d200a4e24e1c5bf3d8f61427e064f796.jpg

While my hopes for this ride aren't very high (I still need to play the ME games in order to understand it), I'm still cautiously optimistic about it, especially when it comes to the Action Theater

Another interesting thing happened to me when I visited the park. I decided to look around the new Planet Snoopy area since I hadn't seen the whole thing. Then when I was trying to find a restroom, I came across this...

IMAG0231.thumb.jpg.a3237eedc503d3153e54134bad9daf1d.jpg

At first glance, I thought it was that old plaque that used to be by the Celebration Swings. But when I got closer, I saw that it was completely different. It blows my mind to see this here at the park, and in the kids area of all places. It's probably the last explicit bit of Paramount's existence in the park left untouched (that I know so far). But as I read more what was on the plaque I was even more intrigued. Granted, compared to other time capsules I've seen, the contents explained in this one seem kinda strange. But at the same time I am interested in knowing how the different essays were written (even though we'll all probably be dead by the time it's uncovered). I kinda really hope that this park can sustain itself for that long, and if not, well hopefully the time capsule can be relocated.

Other than that, I pretty much spent my day riding rides, getting some discounted souvenirs (I got a bag filled with candy for only $5 and a 40th season jacket for half off), and enjoying the park for what it is.

So enjoy some few random photos I took.

IMAG0232.thumb.jpg.23b23cbd5c8518fdd0139283aaac2d99.jpg

SQUIRREL!

IMAG0233.thumb.jpg.d759a8de90764e84b061ea83d7c49d90.jpg

I don't know how long it's been there, but I never noticed that little pond garden in the middle of Whitewater Falls. It looks nice.

IMAG0235.thumb.jpg.97173b1ede2fc2c9bd8b059dfc727e98.jpg

IMAG0237.thumb.jpg.6307f700c32b71db668025aab9da6272.jpg

Great America in its final minutes of the season. 2015 was fun, and I hope things will get even better in 2016

When line cutters attack!
SANTA CLARA , Calif. (KGO) -- Two young adults claim they were brutally attacked at a Bay Area amusement park.

It was supposed to be a fun Halloween night for a brother and sister at Great America in Santa Clara but they say they were attacked when they objected to people jumping in line.

http://abc7ne.ws/1MB8v9s

It was bound to happen eventually, I mean when you mix BIG crowds with alcohol, some fights are bound to break out eventually.

This is why I just keep my mouth shut when I witness line jumpers or other forms of rule breaking. Its not worth the potential consequences.