TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^We try not to talk too much about that moment. Was it a lucrative opportunity for CedarFair? Sure, but it still feels in a way that CGA is the ugly child that CedarFair tried to kill in its sleep. If Cedar Fair could divest from any park, they'd probably do CGA at the right price in a heartbeat.

CGA is not going anywhere. It is sitting idle while the park try's to pass a new rezoning because currently, they can't build more than 25feet without extensive city approvals and permits. This is why GoldStriker got stuck in the political trap. Investments made into the park won't be vertical ones until this new plan goes through. I live next to CGA and will get to weigh in. CGA will thrive off of new business ventures (dark rides, ride conversions, planet snoopy upgrade, events) until they can drop in a serious B&M to end speculation of being sold (or being the Bastard of Cedar Fair)!

CGA is not going anywhere. It is sitting idle while the park try's to pass a new rezoning because currently, they can't build more than 25feet without extensive city approvals and permits. This is why GoldStriker got stuck in the political trap. Investments made into the park won't be vertical ones until this new plan goes through. I live next to CGA and will get to weigh in. CGA will thrive off of new business ventures (dark rides, ride conversions, planet snoopy upgrade, events) until they can drop in a serious B&M to end speculation of being sold (or being the Bastard of Cedar Fair)!

Just curious where you are getting this info? I'm not saying it's wrong just wondering, as I work in maintenance at the park and haven't heard anything about this.

It's not like they tell us everything though, I heard the rumor about vortex the same as everyone here, and then heard it probably wasn't going to happen/got pushed back a little while ago but I couldn't really say anything here.

I will say though that there IS a general feeling among the maintenance staff that CGA IS in fact the ugly stepchild of the Cedar Fair chain. Apparently when they took over for paramount they gained the nickname among the full-timers as "cheaper fair". I will say this, there is SOMETHING going on at the action fx theatre. I don't know what exactly because I keep hearing different people say different things like maybe we are only re-doing one side or both, or what kind of ride system it will be [stationary vr type or more like knott's voyage].

In other news RE: Haunt, those that were fans of the Blood Drums show, or Street Drum Corps [the band that were the stars of that show], they are back this year with an act on the sideshow stage called "Toy Drum Corps", complete with light up drummer boy uniforms and a DJ. I'll admit it's not anything like Blood Drums, but worth checking out. Also, the new Evacuate scare zone I think is really well done. Chime back in with your reviews of the new stuff this year, I'm curious to what everyone thinks of Insanitaryum especially...

Wow, that's a pretty underwhelming announcement, especially compared to the RMC that SFDK is getting. The additions at SFDK over the last 5-6 years have far outpaced CGA. I wonder if CF is just going to continue to neglect CGA and not invest much capital into it while they try to unload it?

I wonder if CF is just going to continue to neglect CGA and not invest much capital into it while they try to unload it?

Enough with the neglect talk. The park is currently fighting to get rezoned so it can obtain permits to add to the park. Remember all the bs and delay that Gold Striker had? Yeah, they don't want to go through that again.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this new addition. On one hand, I'm glad to see Action Theater getting a big new upgrade, plus it gives me a reason to bring my friend to the park since she is a fan of the Mass Effect series. On the other hand, there wern't a lot of details given, and I have a few questions regarding this: are they going to use both sides of the theater again, or will it still be one? And if they're going to use new technology for the motion seating, are they going to get Simex-Iwerks (the original producers of the simulator ride) to do it, or are they going to outsource to a different company like Triotech? Plus it doesn't help that I know nothing about the ME series (never played any of the games ).

Also on the topic of CF neglecting CGA, I'm sure it's probably not intentional. I mean they are limited to space (and probably money too), and they're trying hard with what they can work around. And I know that SFDK seems to be beating CGA to a punch every so often. But I'm probably in the minority who still have faith in this park and it's future.

Enough with the neglect talk. The park is currently fighting to get rezoned so it can obtain permits to add to the park. Remember all the bs and delay that Gold Striker had? Yeah, they don't want to go through that again.

My thoughts exactly.

Could it be no motion seats? Without them they can increase capacity being those motion pods took up space with the gap inbetween them and with stationary seats they can have no height requirement which leads to an attraction everyone can enjoy . . . Like terminator 2 3d.

I wonder if CF is just going to continue to neglect CGA and not invest much capital into it while they try to unload it?

Remember that between Gold Striker's proposal back in 2008/2009 and it's debut in 2013, Cedar Fair did try to divest the park (2011). Majority know it's not a neglect talk since the CGA, Santa Clara County, and Cedar Fair riff has been so transparent. A clearer sign of what they actually hope for the park is what would be nice.

Could it be no motion seats? Without them they can increase capacity being those motion pods took up space with the gap inbetween them and with stationary seats they can have no height requirement which leads to an attraction everyone can enjoy . . . Like terminator 2 3d.

According to the full press release I saw, it said that there would be motion seats.

Riders will climb aboard motion-based seating and wear 3D glasses as they are taken on a thrilling adventure.

According to the full press release I saw, it said that there would be motion seats.

Riders will climb aboard motion-based seating and wear 3D glasses as they are taken on a thrilling adventure.

My guess (hope) would be something along the lines of the Minion ride at Universal.

Bummer . . . well at first glance. I wonder how long it would be? would it be a continuous loop like the previous residents or will it be on a show schedule.

For a second I thought this thread got caught in a time warp and went backwards, back to 2011.

...moving on.

Does anyone else think that this will be CGA's entry into the "Amusement Dark" series that currently has Guardian and Iron Reef, or do you think the park will eventually get an actual dark ride? It has been mentioned that every CF park may eventually get one, but I'd be a bit surprised if this was part of it.