TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I like to give Prudential the ol' one finger salute while I'm riding Gold Striker.

Re: Vortex - There's probably some truth to what the ride op said, cause CGA not being a year round park (Why?), their rehab would all be done in the off season, so it's unlikely to be scheduled maintenance. I wouldn't assume anything more than that though..may be more work needed and/or they're waiting for parts, but I wouldnt jump to a conclusion like scrapping a train or closing the ride.

Go read the Cedar Point thread and look at all the work they're putting into Rugarou. People throw the "Hey convert ___ coaster from a standup to a floorless!" without realizing the massive amount of work that goes into that. It's a lot more than just swapping out the trains. The station has to be converted to that moving floor that standup coasters use, plus I'm sure there are changes adjustments that need to be made to motors, brakes, and electrical. The new trains themselves are surely also a pretty big chunk of change. I agree with skaunit..I think that if the time comes where Vortex isn't doing it for park management anymore, a conversion isnt gonna be on the table.

There is always the option for sitdown trains, then you dont have to worry about the floor drop out for floorless trains

It doesn't seem worth it to spend money converting Vortex. Unlike Rougarou, it has a short, simple layout and the stand-up trains are really the only thing that makes it unique. It's not a bad coaster, per se, but I definitely wouldn't drop a couple million on remodeling it. The park would be better off selling it to another, small park and putting a mega-lite, Mack mini-hyper or Lightnin' Run inspired coaster in its place.

It doesn't seem worth it to spend money converting Vortex. Unlike Rougarou, it has a short, simple layout and the stand-up trains are really the only thing that makes it unique. It's not a bad coaster, per se, but I definitely wouldn't drop a couple million on remodeling it. The park would be better off selling it to another, small park and putting a mega-lite, Mack mini-hyper or Lightnin' Run inspired coaster in its place.

I would love to see a mega-lite at this park!

I would love to see a mega-lite at this park!

Vortex seems to have such a small foot print to me. How does the size of a mega-lite compare?

I apparently had exceptionally bad judgment this afternoon and rode Vortex today and I was painfully reminded of just HOW bad this coaster is. Something needs to be done with it for sure. On a related note Joey, it once again reminded me of how much torture you must have endured sticking it out the entire time a couple of years ago during Coasting for Kids! Mad respect.

CGA would absolutely be a great park for any type of Mega-Lite, from any manufacturer. Of course, the Intamin one is the best one, but I would could also see something like a Chance or Mack Mega-Lite being great for this park. The sizes of these rides will not intimidate the average park-goer, but the forces would still impress any serious rider.

I cannot see any big-budget rides in this park anytime soon, but big budgets are not needed to make stellar rides.

No modifications will be made to Vortex unless it's being removed.

I Defenately agree with this one. While it may be in the extreme realm of possibility that it could get floorless trains, it is very highly unlikely. Other than that, don't expect anything at all to happen to this ride.

As far as the footprint goes, they can run the break run, station and lift along the alley as it is, maybe even extend it a bit.

They could easily have the ride hop over the midway into the mostly unused foresty area by the rapids ride and Top Gun's brake run.

As far as the footprint goes, they can run the break run, station and lift along the alley as it is, maybe even extend it a bit.

They could easily have the ride hop over the midway into the mostly unused foresty area by the rapids ride and Top Gun's brake run.

Yes they could, didn't even think about that. That being said, a Hyper would be nice.

Yes they could, didn't even think about that. That being said, a Hyper would be nice.

Agreed, and they totally have the room for it as others have said. It may not happen right away, but I could easily see one being added sometime in future since the park could still use another major coaster or two. Imagine if they brought back that Morgan hyper with the elevator lift they were planning back in the 90's!

That would be awesome. I'm thinking a steep lift hill in the alley, and then the drop goes over/under the path, and then airtime hills over by the lake. They could probably remove the Rapids if they needed to. A launched coaster utilizing both sections would also be awesome

I thought California's Great America had a height restriction because of the airport nearby?

It does on the parts of the park that are in the flight path, which is not the entire park. I forget exactly where that would be.

Is anybody else heading to the park on Saturday. They're having a pass holder preview day for Boomerang Bay

I'll be there HAHA...

Boomerang Bay has been open privately the past 2 Saturdays to (i think it was) Lockheed for their events. I heard management debating on doing this for the extra Saturday in-between the regular opening, should be good for the park.

I actually don't know much about the height restrictions yet, I'll have to see what I can find out.

Is anybody else heading to the park on Saturday. They're having a pass holder preview day for Boomerang Bay

I'll be there HAHA...

Boomerang Bay has been open privately the past 2 Saturdays to (i think it was) Lockheed for their events. I heard management debating on doing this for the extra Saturday in-between the regular opening, should be good for the park.

I actually don't know much about the height restrictions yet, I'll have to see what I can find out.

WaterWorld is taking precautions during the drought. I wonder what CGA is doing

http://wn.ktvu.com/story/29019658/waterworld-california-makes-changes-to-park-during-drought