TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

He yo CGA fans i got a sweet little video for you, Tidal Wave back in 1996 and 2002 posted by psylconesteve who has many retro USA and English videos from the 1990s.

once again i cant post directly to the forums i dont know what im doing wrong, i highlight and click youtube at far right.

It was more than likely the fact that you posted using https:// rather than http:// in the URL.

I've certainly been on worse than Grizzly, Roar at SFDK is running very rough right now and when I ride Ghostrider at WCB, that'll also shake me around pretty good. Grizzly's also much smoother now thanks to the heavy retracking it has received over the past few years, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very lifeless, forceless, lethargic, slow, and actionless coaster. I could fall asleep before the train dispatches, and by the time the train gets back to the station I'd still be asleep.

Having just road Roar in June, I didn't think it was all that rough. What I disliked about it though is how it loses it's momentum over each major element like the turn around or the camel back. It never really provides too much airtime though it appears it should. Grizzly, on the other hand, has always been considered a "family" roller coaster. Judging by the reaction of those kids, it seems like it serves its purpose just fine.

^ That's been my point. Grizzly isn't meant to be a thrilling, insane coaster. It's just a good coaster for younger kids to start out on. It was one of my first big coasters, and it definitely helped me start to get used to riding the big ones, like Flight Deck, and then onto the biggest coasters at other parks.

I have always hated the Grizzly, for at least two reasons.

First, I remember hearing rumors in 1981 at Great America in Santa Clara of a massive wooden rollercoaster that had opened at Great America in Illinois (it's funny and odd to think back of those pre-internet days -- everything was so mysterious and I had no easy way to confirm and disconfirm the existence of what turned out to be American Eagle . . .well, I suppose I could have called the park, but in those days there was just these mythical things that you heard of but had no direct access to see . . . I recall thinking about this mythical coaster in Illinois for years, without even knowing if it really existed . . . .)

Anyway, when I heard Grizzly was coming, I figured it would our version of something massive, wooden and great.

Thus began the constant inferiority complex between the two parks - they got a 300 ft. Skytower, we got a 200 ft. version, they got American Eagle, we got a smaller and vastly inferior Grizzly, they got Iron Wolf, we got a smaller and shorter Vortex, they got Batman, we got a shorter Top Gun (although that one might have been almost a push), and we could go on and on.

So, in that context, I was already irked at getting Grizzly versus an American Eagle type ride. THEN, I rode it, and it is an awful, bland, worthless ride experience on top of it . . . .

They should burn it. A cleansing fire . . . .

I wonder why they close Rip Roaring Rapids for Halloween Haunt. I went to the park website and noticed 9/2 was the last day of operation.

They close the rapids ride so they can start to set up Werewolf Canyon, it involves the turntable, the exit path, and the water jet area most people don't know about off of the exit path.

I have always hated the Grizzly, for at least two reasons.

First, I remember hearing rumors in 1981 at Great America in Santa Clara of a massive wooden rollercoaster that had opened at Great America in Illinois (it's funny and odd to think back of those pre-internet days -- everything was so mysterious and I had no easy way to confirm and disconfirm the existence of what turned out to be American Eagle . . .well, I suppose I could have called the park, but in those days there was just these mythical things that you heard of but had no direct access to see . . . I recall thinking about this mythical coaster in Illinois for years, without even knowing if it really existed . . . .)

Anyway, when I heard Grizzly was coming, I figured it would our version of something massive, wooden and great.

Thus began the constant inferiority complex between the two parks - they got a 300 ft. Skytower, we got a 200 ft. version, they got American Eagle, we got a smaller and vastly inferior Grizzly, they got Iron Wolf, we got a smaller and shorter Vortex, they got Batman, we got a shorter Top Gun (although that one might have been almost a push), and we could go on and on.

So, in that context, I was already irked at getting Grizzly versus an American Eagle type ride. THEN, I rode it, and it is an awful, bland, worthless ride experience on top of it . . . .

They should burn it. A cleansing fire . . . .

Then CGA builds an awsome woodie, only SFGAm builds what will likely be an even better one.

I'm satisfied with Gold Striker. It's awesome and has tons of airtime, I'll bet that Goliath will be better, but I'm still glad we got a crazy GCI. It's good enough for me.

Not going to lie here, but as massive as Goliath is, in the back row even with a little wiggle room (not being insanely stapled) there was a single moment of floater airtime...Diet Coke vs the full on Coke if you want to say. Goliath is quite forceful though after the 2nd half. You're referring to SFMM's Goliath, right?

Gotcha, totally missed the above discussion. I'll take my 14 moments of airtime over just what looks to only be a few moments and some inversions any day (Not knocking "Yet Another Goliath" or "YAG" but, in my opinion the layout really isn't that inspiring other than the Zero G Stall and Dive Loop). I know inversions on wooden coasters are trending right now but I'm extremely satisfied with what we have at CGA right now

Then CGA builds an awsome woodie, only SFGAm builds what will likely be an even better one.

Haha for sure, they wasted no time dropping that bombshell, we haven't even had our woodie for a full season yet and they are already trying to top it!

It continues . . . . but vengeance is mine, now, because I moved from California to Chicago!

Gotcha, totally missed the above discussion. I'll take my 14 moments of airtime over just what looks to only be a few moments and some inversions any day (Not knocking "Yet Another Goliath" or "YAG" but, in my opinion the layout really isn't that inspiring other than the Zero G Stall and Dive Loop). I know inversions on wooden coasters are trending right now but I'm extremely satisfied with what we have at CGA right now

That's interesting. I've not ridden either ride (obviously not Goliath), but my immediate reaction would be that "everyone" would rather have Goliath than Gold Striker.....it's not quite an apple-to-apples comparision, as they are different rides, but it's interesting to read that you'd rather have Gold Striker.

Also interesting to read the above "inferiority complex". I tend to have one, currently, what with your sky ride and covered walkway!