TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

A line for Grizzly isn't worth waiting,
Fixed!

I loved that chicken place growing up! They had the best brownies!

I'm interested to see how the GP like Gold Striker, if it ever opens!

Edited by jray21

Just got this press release from CGA about Memorial Day weekend events.

GREAT AMERICA HONORS MILITARY HEROES MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

FREE ADMISSION MAY 25, 26, 27 FOR ACTIVE AND RETIRED MILITARY

Free Tickets, $19.99 Family Tickets and $7 Picnic Meal For Current & Retired Military

Fireworks Spectacular At 9:30 PM Sunday For All California's Great America Guests

SANTA CLARA, CA - California's Great America will honor America's service men and women Memorial Day Weekend with free park admission on May 25, 26 and 27 for all current and retired military personnel. In addition, attending family members are eligible for $19.99 tickets (up to 6 family members) and all members of a military member's party can join in a picnic meal for just $7 (Noon-3 PM in Picnic Pavilion).

An all-new fireworks spectacular, set to patriotic music, will decorate the sky above California's Great America at 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 26, celebrating those who have sacrificed so much.

"Our military families do so much for us and this is just a small acknowledgement for their contributions," said California's Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg. "We hope everyone takes the time to honor and remember current, retired and deceased military service men and women this weekend."

California's Great America will open May 25, 26 and 27 at 10 a.m. with a color guard flag presentation and the singing of America's national anthem.

Free and $19.99 tickets may be purchased at the front gate on May 25, 26 and 27 by displaying the proper military credentials. The picnic meal will include a hot dog, garden salad, potato salad, fountain beverages and ice cream novelties.

Beginning Saturday, May 25, California's Great America and Boomerang Bay will be open daily through Labor Day.

CEDAR FAIR

California's Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to California's Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

Expect the entire ride to be enclosed by mid July.

LOL! It's like a giant version of The Underground at Adventureland.

Really though, I hope they are able to work out the issues and get the coaster open!

So we can officially say Gold Striker won't be running on the parks big holiday weekend...

That's too bad if it's not open, that really would have been a great time to do it, but it will open when it's ready.

Btw, anybody know or see any pics and video yet from the promo shoot?

Expect the entire ride to be enclosed by mid July.

That may very well be the case! If there's one thing I'm looking forward to this weekend though, it's Boomerang Bay and its slides of hot death. Crazy airtime on Down Under Thunder and something I haven't tried out yet: 5-person (that's five fully grown adults) ride on Didgeridoo Falls, which I've been told is terrifying.

That may very well be the case! If there' one thing I'm looking forward to this weekend though, it's Boomerang Bay and its slides of hot death. Crazy airtime on Down Under Thunder and something I haven't tried out yet: 5-person (that's five fully grown adults) ride on Didgeridoo Falls, which I've been told is terrifying.

Five adults on Didgeridoo Falls is the craziest thing I have ever done at the park, there is no way to even prepare the epicness/ terrifying ride that it is.

Crazy airtime on Down Under Thunder and something I haven't tried out yet: 5-person (that's five fully grown adults) ride on Didgeridoo Falls, which I've been told is terrifying.

Five adults on Didgeridoo Falls is the craziest thing I have ever done at the park, there is no way to even prepare the epicness/ terrifying ride that it is.

So very true!

Oh god...this is going to be insane! I can't wait! At the same time, I'm a bit nervous (already). Last time we did this with 4 people, Rob and I were riding the lip of the slide into the splash pool where the raft just flopped into the splash pool...and our heads smacked into eachother.

5 grown adults...better hang on for dear life, unless you want to land on somebody's lap like I almost did

As long as our combined weight is less than 1000lbs we're good...that would be max 200lbs per rider.

That's too bad if it's not open, that really would have been a great time to do it, but it will open when it's ready.

Btw, anybody know or see any pics and video yet from the promo shoot?

Nope, hoping to see something soon...would be neat if the park posted some shots on their Facebook...also I anxiously wait to see if any footage makes it on Youtube.

Oh I hate that raft ride! The last time I went on it they sent me down by myself & it was SO SCARY my raft ALMOST flipped over during the ride. I do not ride that one anymore. Do you guys pay the rip off price of $15 for a locker? I'd like to do Boomerang Bay but not when it costs $15 to store your stuff. At least you can do 2 slides without a locker Down Hill Thunder & the enclosed one. That sucks about no Gold Striker opening. Hope it's open in time for my birthday. So it's all going to be covered in tunnel?

Oh I hate that raft ride! The last time I went on it they sent me down by myself & it was SO SCARY my raft ALMOST flipped over during the ride. I do not ride that one anymore. Do you guys pay the rip off price of $15 for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? I'd like to do Boomerang Bay but not when it costs $15 to store your stuff. At least you can do 2 slides without a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo Down Hill Thunder & the enclosed one. That sucks about no Gold Striker opening. Hope it's open in time for my birthday. So it's all going to be covered in tunnel?

tunnelstriker.thumb.jpg.60fc8475737205b7cfa7e724b3f9a947.jpg

Gold Striker isn't going to be "Disaster Transport'd" or turned into one of those classic Caterpillar rides (flat ride with cover that folds over mid-ride)... meaning it won't be covered entirely )

A lot of the time when I go, I use my drypak (phone can be submerged) and stuff my valuables in that...that way I leave my bag at the base of the slides and slide away. But now we have a group, we can split the cost of a fluffy bunny (which is very likely given the crowds).

A bit behind here, some more Vine nonsense was made

^ The park most likely won't be open on 2016's Super Bowl (or should I say, YOLObowl) Sunday considering it's during the off-season...unless it opens specifically for the YOLObowl. If it does, there will be seriously a LOT of cleaning up to do (and that's an understatement, the scale of the "destruction" will be beyond our worst nightmares), whether it would be graffiti, physical property damage (including rides), and the list goes on.

I'll be in UC Santa Cruz that year, maybe the bay area TPRers can join me for a day or two at the 'walk (YOLObowl Sundays at SCBB are pretty dead, meaning a marathon on Giant Dipper)? I wonder if that'll be far enough from the insanity...

^Uhm...I'm pretty sure hosting a Super Bowl doesn't lead to mass destruction of a city, considering most of the events of Super Bowl week are corporate parties. And tickets are ridiculously expensive to the game itself. It's definitely not a Raiders game.

I would imagine that the park will be hosting one of those corporate parties, or opening up in a limited capacity to host the NFL fan fest that accompanies the Super Bowl. Right now I'm sure everything is just in the "blue sky" phase, where there's lots of ideas but no concrete plans.

^Uhm...I'm pretty sure hosting a Super Bowl doesn't lead to mass destruction of a city, considering most of the events of Super Bowl week are corporate parties. And tickets are ridiculously expensive to the game itself. It's definitely not a Raiders game.

Very exciting news and would definitely be a great opportunity for the park to showcase itself. I actually had a conversation with one of the park managers while visiting the park today who mentioned the NFL has visited the park and that there are plans on the table for the park to participate, though much of the activities would be happening in the actual city in SF.

2016 definitely is a milestone year with not only the 50th Super Bowl now officially happening in Levi's Stadium, but CGA also celebrating it's 40th Anniversary. Can't wait to see what will happen!