TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

To everyone that gets to 50.... congratulations!

I will be happy getting to 16 today!

So far I like the middle of the train and the very back.

Anybody else got a favorite seat?

And have you all noticed..... NO DOWNTIMES caused by any ride malfunction..... during all this running that's a very good sign.

I have been viewing these forums for a while, and finally decided to post! Really enjoy the site, just have been in read-only mode thus far.

Went to the promo shoot today, and I have to say Gold Striker is amazing. Rode twice: once in the second row and once in the front row. So both rides were quite similar, with the front row being a little better due to view. I am also hoping that front row ride increases my chances of being in the promo material (although it will probably be difficult to actually verify).

First ride was around 6pm, and we stopped on the lift about halfway up. This was a first time experience for me, and a great chance to soak in the views (the new 49er stadium is quite large and coming along nicely). The ride has great pacing and overall just a good combination of turns, dips, and quick changes of direction. Like others have said, the station fly-by and the double-up stand out as highlights.

I really appreciate the updates from the regulars (I think I recognized a few of you this afternoon) and overall great coverage. Thanks for posting the link to the promo sign-up, it was really fun to drive into the parking lot, walk through the entrance, and get into the queue with no crowds. It was also a special experience to see train after train of riders cheer as they came back into the station. You do not see that during regular operating hours very often! Everybody was courteous and excited for the new addition to the park. Lastly, big thanks to Great America for hosting the event. The park has seen its share of coaster removals, and it is great to see positive buzz for a new roller coaster!

Yeah several little walls and what looks like the framing for another tunnel.

GS was having minor issue tonight but once again it was a blast.

This ride at dusk or at night kicks A$$!

She was being very temperamental today to be honest...but glad I got to ride GS after 8:00 (talk about mad dashes through the exit and back up the entrance, snagged the last ride of the night too! So today I got in 11 laps. My total damage is 37 laps now!

I'm not going to lie, I'm actually pretty exhausted from riding now, this ride was really showing its true colors as night came... Yes, I was being ejected upward, then yanked down in the hardest way possible only to be shot upward again! Ready for tomorrow!

So have we had any confirmation that the ride will open this weekend? Or is that just a general assumption? Would be awesome if it's running when I visit!

Honestly, I don't see it opening this weekend. They have lots to do on their wall/tunnel work. However, the ride camera was being tested tonight...and the flash is very blinding! This is placed just at the bottom of the drop, just before the speed hill.

About the tunnels, here's my theory. Think way way back before Gold Striker materialized...during the planning phases, it was noted that a series of noise tests would be conducted, and modifications will be done if necessary. I kind of think that this is actually going on. In the mean time, the park is actually killing several birds with 1 stone as they're getting the promo shoot done, possibly training their staff with 'real world' scenarios to keep the lines going, possible noise tests (as we see the growth of walls and tunnels rising), and of course, promoting their new coaster! This is all 100% guess work other than the promotional shoot part (which is the only part I guarantee is 100% correct )

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I overheard some people asking Mr. Ross exactly when it would open and the only thing he could say is it will open sometime this month, so as of right now there is no set date. He said it might open sooner or later, at this point they haven't decided yet. I would guess this may be due to some small things that still need to be done and maybe some other reasons we would not know about.

So in short as of now, there is no set opening date yet.

One of my last rides of the night parked us on the lift hill for a bit, cool!

Wow still nobody there at the shoot even though they advertised it. Isn't that bad? But then again it's during a weekday & most are busy with work & school. What time did they let you board to ride? I guess I can go Thursday after reading the reports from today. Seems quiet like last week. Angry Gumball don't you feel the rush in your face after so many times it just wants to make you collapse & doesn't Goldy leave you with a slight head ache? It did for me. After the 5 times last Tuesday I felt wow what a rush & about ready to collapse from how fast it was!

Edited by #1rollercoasterfan

One of my last rides of the night parked us on the lift hill for a bit, cool!

You may have been on the same train as us. What row were you in? Did you hear lots of yelling from the front of the train? One of my friends were shouting down to the rest of the group below, making jokes about saving us and such

Wow still nobody there at the shoot even though they advertised it. Isn't that bad? But then again it's during a weekday & most are busy with work & school. What time did they let you board to ride? I guess I can go Thursday after reading the reports from today. Seems quiet like last week. Angry Gumball don't you feel the rush in your face after so many times it just wants to make you collapse & doesn't Goldy leave you with a slight head ache? It did for me. After the 5 times last Tuesday I felt wow what a rush & about ready to collapse from how fast it was!

I actually have a pretty high tolerance and can ride something quite a bit. Sure I'm a bit exhausted now but half of that was from running...something I don't do enough of. My stomach did feel a little awkward and started to slightly grey out coming down the drop but all I had were some chips and cookies...'twas time to grab some dinner afterwards, our now tradition to hit up Sizzler

I really loved the walk-ons during the last 30 minutes...granted it was a long sprint from exit to entry, and a long sprint through the queue.

Angry Gumball, yeah I think I was on that train. One guy sitting in some rows ahead of me was yelling for someone to get a grappling hook to save us.... lol, it was pretty funny. I think you will agree you get some sick air in row 12 on the first drop!

Sitting in row 8 or 9 I think I counted 14 different moments when I was lifted off the seat, this ride has some air all over the place....... its freekin awesome!

I also noticed the track is nice and lubricated now. Last Tuesday it was still dry and new looking.

Angry Gumball, yeah I think I was on that train. One guy sitting in some rows ahead of me was yelling for someone to get a grappling hook to save us.... lol, it was pretty funny. I think you will agree you get some sick air in row 12 on the first drop!

I also noticed the track is nice and lubricated now. Last Tuesday it was still dry and new looking.

Yup that was my friend shouting that out We were in row 2. I also noticed the lubricated track and the lack of screeching sounds...reminded me of BART screaming through the transbay tube.

Another thing I noticed today as I spent some quality time in the front (3 or 4 times in Row 2, 2 times in row 1 finally, and the rest in the middle/back) is that you get a lot of the up hill ejector airtime...much stronger up front. As you head towards the back, uphill airtime is still present but not as forceful. However, the downhill airtime is more noticeable. As you get towards the middle, you kind of get a good mid-range of both experiences (nothing extreme but it's a good 'all arounder' section). In the end, there are no dull seats on this ride! The ride however did need a little 'waking up' but after a few laps, the ride was really picking up its speed!

Honestly I don't know. I was really surprised to see it actually happen this week. I think between the 6 days of shooting, they should have enough footage. At least on my train, a lot of people were actually cooperating and keeping the hands down.

Awkward moment of the day, one of the guys filming the ride called us over (as he remembered us from last week) and interviewed us, asking what we thought of Gold Striker, favorite moments, etc. Yea, it was awkward but a great way to express my thoughts on the coaster!

^ Here's how mine went (and yes I had to answer in complete sentences, just like answering questions on my school work ):

Q: What do you think of Gold Striker?

A: Gold Striker is just full of awesome! It actually currently sits as my no. 1 wooden coaster!

Q: What is it that makes GS that good?

A: What made it good was the crazy amount of airtime experienced. I counted 14 moments that my butt had left the seat in the back row!

Q: What was your favorite part of Gold Striker?

A: My favorite part was pretty much the airtime and the many unexpected moments.

Q: Where's the best place to sit?

A: The best place to sit is in row 5 and 12. Especially row 12, really takes you on a wild, out of control ride!

So yea, that's pretty much how I answered it, may not have been my exact words but you get the idea!