TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'd like to see a lime green throwback...just like I wouldn't mind seeing Drop Tower in it's multi-color glory (again like the 90's).

Would love to see Green/Black Vortex... but seriously with the Drop Tower paint job? I love that ride but the original paint scheme was hideous. I don't love the current one, but it is MUCH better than the old one.

I also wouldn't mind the Leviathan/Stinger/Invertigo color scheme on Vortex. Since CF seems to have gotten those colors on wholesale, why not?

^^ first thing that came in mind to me was Stinky Pete from Toy Story, hence what I unofficially named him...not to mention the 'dumping waffle' thing. I wonder how long he will rock that pistol before some anti-gun people raise a stink.

^ Blue on blue...the next red with yellow (Think Dragstor and Iron Dragon)! I personally wasn't crazy about that. I probably liked the Drop Tower colors due to nostalgic reasons. After it faded however, it did look pretty bad.

A random pondering about Gold Striker... Not sure if this was discussed a couple weeks ago about GS's speed but I just realized this (after chatting with a fellow coaster enthusiast) yesterday...according to RCDB, even Grizzly hits a top speed of 55mph. When it ever hit that I have no clue because it sure never feels like it. I just thought it was a bit funny that the park's already existing (and tame) woodie has Goldy's record beat in terms of speed.

I do know we discussed Giant Dipper and how its speed is quite variable based on tempurature and load.

There is absolutely no way Grizzly is faster than Gold Striker. Grizzly is 17' shorter than Gold Striker, there just isn't enough momentum to pass Gold Striker.

from RCDB:

Demon - 102 ' high, 90' drop, 50 mph

Flight Deck - 102' high, 91' drop, 50 mph

Gold Striker - 108' high, 53.7 mph

Grizzly - 91' high, 55 mph

Vortex - 91' high, 40 mph

Some of these figures may be true, but I doubt the Grizzly mph figure is true. When I rode Grizzly in the back seat it slowed down enough going up the hill after the first drop it wouldn't have surprised me to get a rollback / valley.

Warning, technical post ahead...

According to the laws of conservation of energy, the potential plus kinetic energy at the top of the lift will equal the kinetic energy at the bottom of the first drop (this is a rough and simplified example, so we'll ignore friction and drag). Kinetic energy is equal to half the mass times the velocity squared, or 1/2mv^2, and potential energy is equal to mass times height times the acceleration due to gravity at a point, or mgh (we'll use 32.2 ft/s^2 as an approximation). Therefore, by applying algebraic concepts, the speed at the bottom of the first drop (in feet per second) is the square root of the velocity of the lift (in feet per second) squared plus twice the height times the acceleration due to gravity, or sqrt(v^2+2gh). This will give the answer in feet per second, and to convert it to miles per hour, multiply the answer by 3600/5280 (approximately 0.682). Applying this math, and assuming the speed of the lift is negligibe, you get:

The maximum possible speed of a 91 foot tall coaster (such as Grizzly) is approximately 52 MPH

The maximum possible speed of a 70 foot tall coaster (such as Giant Dipper) is approximately 45 MPH

The maximum possible speed of a 108 foot tall coaster (such as Gold Striker) is approximately 56 MPH

So while some speeds are likely exagerrated, most of them are probably pretty close to the actual speed. This method won't get you the true top speed, but it can prove if the "official" speed for a ride is high (however, keep in mind that lift speed can play a role, especially in coasters with cable lifts, and the full drop length must be taken into account if the ride drops below ground level). If the laws of physics don't allow that speed to be achieved in an ideal case, it won't occur in a real world case.

^Seems about right. My No Limits creation, if I were go base off of No Limits' physics hits just about 53mph at a 108-foot height. Definitely a lot of math for my brain to chew on

And a coaster update - CGA was kind and gave us an update via their Facebook:

I'll be there this weekend to check it out!

Another Update from GCI:

Some more photos, from GCI's Facebook (As if there wasn't enough photos already!)

So I was messing around with Google Maps and looking around the park, then I noticed the street view went on this little backstage path and I found something interesting and really cool.

1284017175_oldtraincars..png.5e254dba66a6c20bff5f866910ff11f3.png

The park uses two of the old train cars in the Redwood Amphitheater! Not really sure what the rooms in there are for though. Plus the name of the area is the Redwood Depot.

train013.jpg.9febc3126c78a727425e02295905e819.jpg

Here's a picture of comparison, you notice the curved roof and the same back railing that is still there today.

Wheels.png.023084b22fadfcfe36a63fbd59fb6979.png

Here's a close of view confirming that is the train cars, since they still have the original wheels and sitting on rails.

Ah I remember walking in the back area of Redwood Amphitheater and seeing the former train/turned trailers and the themed cactus. Wonder if they'll add cactus as part of the theming for GS! Now I just had a "HEY DUDE" flashback, 90's kids remember this lol

Ah I remember walking in the back area of Redwood Amphitheater and seeing the former train/turned trailers and the themed cactus. Wonder if they'll add cactus as part of the theming for GS! Now I just had a "HEY DUDE" flashback, 90's kids remember this lol
Lol, I havent thought of HEY DUDE in many many years.. Good times.