TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

There always has to be some freeking idiot that does that, but the netting should have stayed there.

So they ask to see your hands before they start the ride now. That's good but what happens if some (ass) refuses...are they then not allowed to ride? I would be curious to know how they would handle that situation.

Yes, this will prevent people from dropping coins but will this fix the spitting issue? Probably not. Most of the time I ride Drop Tower, I'm always seeing white flecks flying off the tower. By the time the ride's over, I'm hoping none of us innocent riders get wrongfully accused for spitting. It's happened before at the Boardwalk when some tards decided to spit and my group got called out on it and told if we're caught again, we could no longer ride the Doubleshot.

Yes, this will prevent people from dropping coins but will this fix the spitting issue? Probably not. Most of the time I ride Drop Tower, I'm always seeing white flecks flying off the tower.

Yea I see this on EVERY drop tower I've ridden, people spit and its nasty! or the parachute ride at SFGADV, infamous for people dropping and squeezing out ketchup and honey packets. Why not install Scream guards like on oh what was it Maliboomer? That said in a joking way. I DO how ever see it the most on Drop tower at Carowinds recently. They do not do hand checks. You just sit down they check your harness and then call it an all clear.

As I also remember from the past the operators of Dominater (S&S tower) at Dorney park. They use to wear hard hats to prevent anything.

Someone who worked at KD said that they always did hand checks on their Drop Tower, and it's always done at CW's, so I thought it was a mandatory thing across the chain. I guess not.

Is there a written law or act about dropping or spitting off of rides in the US? There's one up here that's posted at several rides at CW. When Jet Scream (looping starship) was still around, it was normal for the spiel to include that spitting or throwing off objects was prohibited.

Someone who worked at KD said that they always did hand checks on their Drop Tower, and it's always done at CW's, so I thought it was a mandatory thing across the chain. I guess not.

Is there a written law or act about dropping or spitting off of rides in the US? There's one up here that's posted at several rides at CW. When Jet Scream (looping starship) was still around, it was normal for the spiel to include that spitting or throwing off objects was prohibited.

Even when I worked at Carowinds it was not mandatory. I also worked a similar ride , a Looping ship, the Frenzoid aka Southern Star, we were told to watch for coins falling etc and if we caught "spitters" we were allowed to have them ejected from the park. I do not know of any written laws here in the states for such a thing. Though hes we did have a spiel for such a thing.

I believe there is a law in California
Very well could be, but then again you're talking about a state that one law says its illegal to kiss on a side walk for more than 5 minutes without unlocking the mouths. or even, It is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear. (San Francisco) . That is all.

I believe there is a law in California
Very well could be, but then again you're talking about a state that one law says its illegal to kiss on a side walk for more than 5 minutes without unlocking the mouths. or even, It is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear. (San Francisco) . That is all.

Wipe ones car with used underwear? Soiled underwear, right?

On a slightly tangential note, I have seen security called for people throwing things off Intimidator at Carowinds, but not Drop Tower.

Yea I have seen that too. Its because its close to a parking lot and tossing something off to the left on the way out you can hit a car..and the parks south side entrance is right by the turn around.

Saw some movement at White Water Falls today. There were mechanics in the control booth, and more at the top of the lift hill. They weren't testing, but it could be some progress.

Also, thanks to idiotic GP throwing coins at the top of the Drop Tower, the ride ops now ask to see your hands after they check your seat...

I was wondering why they were doing this at KD on DT,thanks for the answer.

Now that I'm remembering, I've had a few times (pretty rare) that we would get checked on the Tower. I wonder how long they will stick with this, or if the operators that day just dealt with enough idiots dropping stuff.

Anyway, as mentioned, I'm headed there tomorrow. If any TPR members are also going, you can spot me wearing a Haunt (pumpkin) shirt and brownish shorts, will be with my cousin.. So if you happen to see me, don't be shy!

Did anyone happen to go to the park yesterday? The park was really busy. The line for Flight Deck, Psycho Mouse and Grizzly were out the entrance all day. Demon had its overflow open and the line was still out the entrance. And Vortex had most of its overflow open. Pretty much every single ride in the park had a line. Although it prevented me from riding everything, it was nice to see the park busy.

Just got back from the park today. One of the busier sundays I've seen in a while. Flight Deck's line remained pretty consistent throughout the day, starting in the shaded portion. Grizzly had a full station and at one point probably half of the ramp being filled up for a while. Drop Tower was pretty mellow and only had a 2-3 cycle wait. Logger's line extended out of the entrance a bit, and Demon's line was variable from a full station to the line extending to the first set of steps by the 'loop-de-loops.' Delirium's line was using all switchbacks (This ride always seems to be the popular one). This is all a good thing, the park definitely felt more lively today as opposed to opening day. Wasn't too crowded (Glad I didn't go yesterday) but had to wait for every ride...no real walk-ons. With how the weather was today, I could see Boomerang Bay being quite popular this summer.

Firefall's still disassembled, gondola still hanging out by the coaster shop (visible from the newly revived 4th cabin on Drop Tower), and White Water Falls has been cycling boats all day. I'd expect this to be up and running in the next few weeks. Firefall, I'm not too sure about. Grizzly is still running amazingly smooth and the 10-second turnaround does feel like it's picking up its pacing, probably with a fuller train...now it's more like the 10-second turnaround.

Random note which I so wanted to call this kid out on.... some idiot decided it would be fun to jump and ride on the spinning antenna thing in Flight Deck's queue. I probably would have laughed if he missed and the thing knocked him over. Sorry, no offense to the younger set here but you really gotta love 12/13 year old kids who think they're 'cool' by doing stuff like this. I'm sure the younger set on here is far more responsible

Last random note: Only got hands checked once out of the 3 rides I did on Drop Tower. I'm sure we could see more of this, probably depends on if the operator feels like following through.

Ride count for today:

Flight Deck - 5x

Demon - 4x

Vortex - 1x

Grizzly - 1x

Drop Tower - 3x

Tiki Twirl - 1x

Rapids - 3x (thank God for quick-drying shorts, lol)

Other random flats - 1x

I didn't get a lot of pictures but did get a few note-worthy photos and a few random stuff.

IMG_0061.jpg.a81fd9f51be1a33bc9a93f61feb41d8a.jpg

Let's start with how wet I got from the rapids.

IMG_0060.jpg.4309ecd9c354d81df653eff728a4f905.jpg

And here's the cause of why you get so wet!

IMG_0069.jpg.ffa2655919fdc0cc8a198f0cdaead184.jpg

Just before the lift, this thing gives you a shower, a great one at that.

IMG_0070.jpg.ea6fdb3f28250b50f9b65dc3a9cab1e0.jpg

Some spots get hit a little harder than others but in the end, you leave the ride drenched. If the geysers didn't get you, this will. If they did, this is the ride's 'finishing move.'

IMG_0065.jpg.af5a8ee58f8bae573b40ba7f1e6b9ccb.jpg

Something I found a little funny on opening day, managed to point it out today...Survivor gear? More like "Tiki Twirl gear"?

400790163_survivortoasty.jpg.1b15929da44726f514ed1886061692ac.jpg

Toasty!

IMG_0068.jpg.5e5bc06a161a4fd67e0f2024d4e3452f.jpg

I'll end it with the so-called "Inverti-Gardens" or "Inverti-Grass" or.... I guess it now serves as a lay down and sunbathe spot

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Good to hear it was busy and on RRR I'm glad that thing is showering like that, awesome! You are supposed to get wet on that thing, in fact I think there is a sign that says "you WILL get wet, and you may get SOAKED!", glad its running as designed now.

Not surprisingly, the park looks very nice.

Did anyone happen to go to the park yesterday? The park was really busy. The line for Flight Deck, Psycho Mouse and Grizzly were out the entrance all day. Demon had its overflow open and the line was still out the entrance. And Vortex had most of its overflow open. Pretty much every single ride in the park had a line. Although it prevented me from riding everything, it was nice to see the park busy.

There were some band competitions going on in the park on Saturday and some awards ceremony over in the Peanuts Playhouse, there were many schools at the park, including some from Pleasanton, as for whatever reason, I just remember the shirts they were wearing as they would come through the line of the ride I was operating several times. But I do agree, it was nice to see it busy, something I have not seen since the season started. Even with the season pass processing, the line got quite long, that at one point they actually used the old Triple Play queue area.

There were some band competitions going on in the park on Saturday and some awards ceremony over in the Peanuts Playhouse, there were many schools at the park, including some from Pleasanton, as for whatever reason, I just remember the shirts they were wearing as they would come through the line of the ride I was operating several times. But I do agree, it was nice to see it busy, something I have not seen since the season started. Even with the season pass processing, the line got quite long, that at one point they actually used the old Triple Play queue area.

There was a running group there today as well. I don't think the running group alone contributed to the crowds...I think more of it being spring break/end of spring break so parents want to take their kids somewhere before school starts up again. And now that there's been plenty of CGA commercials on TV and the radio, many are now aware the park's alive and kicking again for the season.

There was a running group there today as well. I don't think the running group alone contributed to the crowds...I think more of it being spring break/end of spring break so parents want to take their kids somewhere before school starts up again. And now that there's been plenty of CGA commercials on TV and the radio, many are now aware the park's alive and kicking again for the season.

Yeah, I saw several of them as well, people that had participated in the run. Flying Eagles did have a consistent line of parents and kids at it on Sunday too, now it's back to weekends only until the end of May/first week of June, when the schools start letting out for the Summer, which I'm sure the crowds will come back once Boomerang Bay is opened at that time as well, especially when the weather starts getting hot again.