TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I just wish CGA would get a new coaster that will draw a lot of people in. Who knows if that will ever happen though.

Well, there is a Premier Launch coaster...scratch that, three with both Chillers, that are rotting in fields/will be that could be picked up for cheap.

Of course, pigs would have to fly and TPR would have to merge with ACE before that could ever happen.

Don't forgot another Premier at Hard Rock Park.

I really hope that something replaces it next year. But I can't get my hopes up.

Why can't you get your hopes up? There has been NOTHING that says they aren't getting or putting something in there so there you go, a positive way to look at it.

^Exactly. While I'm preparing myself for if nothing does happen, I'm looking at the flipside:

After 12 years of service at California's Great America, Cedar Fair has decided to move the ride to another Cedar Fair park and open up a new opportunity for Great America.

This is a business decision that is taking into consideration all of the Cedar Fair properties and allowing us to infuse capital into another park while opening up a great opportunity for a new attraction at Great America.

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definite, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

This is not unusual as in 2003 the ride Stealth was removed and relocated to Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C., to make way for what is now known as Boomerang Bay water park.

Stay tuned for more details as they are available!

While this doesn't directly say when, it does state that they do have plans for this location.

Went to the park yesterday (4/16/11), it was alot more crowded than usual. Grizzlies line looked like it would be over an hour, Demons line was all the way out to the lift cave thing, and vortex's line was out of the entrance to it (no switchbacks). It was really sad seeing grass instead of invertigo. I really hope that something replaces it next year. But I can't get my hopes up.

Do remember it is spring break for many schools right now.

^Exactly. While I'm preparing myself for if nothing does happen, I'm looking at the flipside:

After 12 years of service at California's Great America, Cedar Fair has decided to move the ride to another Cedar Fair park and open up a new opportunity for Great America.

This is a business decision that is taking into consideration all of the Cedar Fair properties and allowing us to infuse capital into another park while opening up a great opportunity for a new attraction at Great America.

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definite, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

This is not unusual as in 2003 the ride Stealth was removed and relocated to Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C., to make way for what is now known as Boomerang Bay water park.

Stay tuned for more details as they are available!

While this doesn't directly say when, it does state that they do have plans for this location.

I completely understand, I sort of feel the same way.

That's funny it mentions Stealth, wasn't Paramount the one who decided to move it?

When they say "plans are underway" that could mean anything......but I'm hoping for something amazing.

With all the negativity surrounding this subject and the fact that its been....FOREVER since they put in a new coaster, if that is what they end up doing, I would think they would want to announce it as soon as they were able to do so.

Just sit back , relax and enjoy the entertained thoughts of "open up a new opportunity for Great America." That tells us something if not anything could be a year, 2 years. Who knows. It does make me happy though. Apparently from what I also hear Dick Kinzel was at the park a couple of days ago.

Just sit back , relax and enjoy the entertained thoughts of "open up a new opportunity for Great America." That tells us something if not anything could be a year, 2 years. Who knows. It does make me happy though. Apparently from what I also hear Dick Kinzel was at the park a couple of days ago.

What...are you kidding? I'm shocked he would want to visit their "forgotten" park.

I was at the park today, thought I'd mention a few things:

-Rode the Grizzly twice, and it was even faster than my last visit a couple of weeks ago. It flew around the turns (even the time spent in the 10-minute turnaround seemed to be cut in half), and I got considerable amounts of airtime near the end. The new track is settling in nicely. I sat in the back, and it also helped that it was a full train both times.

-While waiting in line for Logger's Run, I witnessed a weird moment happening on the Endeavor. It "stalled" upside down four times (possibly more), and it continued to swing back and forth for a lot longer than usual. After it finally stopped, the mechanics showed up, and the ride was closed for the rest of my visit. Must've been a painful ride.

-Finally saw all six cabins operating on the Drop Tower. Although, Cabin 1 was closed, but it was still running with the rest of them.

What...are you kidding? I'm shocked he would want to visit their "forgotten" park.

It's only forgotten to the people that let it be forgotten. If Dick is there then obviously it's not forgotten. If you look in the later posts it seems like CF is doing something to draw in crowds.

Saw some movement at White Water Falls today. There were mechanics in the control booth, and more at the top of the lift hill. They weren't testing, but it could be some progress.

Also, thanks to idiotic GP throwing coins at the top of the Drop Tower, the ride ops now ask to see your hands after they check your seat...