TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the updates BobMan!

It's good to see improvements on the existing rides (although I'm disappointed with Firefall, always seems to be closed for the first month of the season). Now that Invertigo is gone, it appears that the mechanics have a lot more time to work on the other rides...

I'm definitely riding on Cabin #4 on the Drop Tower! The line should go a lot faster with all six cabins.

Thanks for the updates BobMan!

It's good to see improvements on the existing rides (although I'm disappointed with Firefall, always seems to be closed for the first month of the season). Now that Invertigo is gone, it appears that the mechanics have a lot more time to work on the other rides...

I'm definitely riding on Cabin #4 on the Drop Tower! The line should go a lot faster with all six cabins.

The Demon orange train is also making its return with the yellow train in rehab now.

Cabin 4 has been out of service since at least 07. It pretty much became a parts donor for the other 5 cabins. So now that all 6 are (hopefully) running again, he wants to ride on it.

Yep, that's why I want to ride on Cabin #4, just so I can say that I rode on every seat.

The Demon orange train is also making its return with the yellow train in rehab now.

Nice, that yellow train was a neck-snapper, even in the "magic" seats! They did a good job with the red train, I'm hoping for the same with the orange one.

Well, last season, the red train didn't jolt me around as much as the yellow train when going through that second loop. It all really depends on where you sit though. I found that the back of the Demon's train runs smoother than up towards the front. Only part I dread is that odd coat hanger engineered transition into the corkscrews regardless of train color or row. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance of rough rides, not sure. I was one of the few (My brother who was just getting into 'loop-de-loop coasters' and myself) that enjoyed Zonga when it was at SFDK while the rest of my party hated it as it was too rough for them.

Pretty much, my definition of rough is that if I get off the ride with red-hot ears and hurting a little, than it's rough. On the other hand, if I don't suffer any kind of pain then I don't consider it too rough and is something I will reride.

I'm hoping that maybe Vortex will be a little more well behaved this season as last season, I would only ride it once per visit, being one of my lower priority rides to do due to it's snappy transitions, shakiness, and rock-hard restraints for my poor ears to smash into.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I have always wondered why CGA's coasters don't have any kind of roof or shade structure over their stations. I almost always get sun burnt when I'm at CGA, but rarely do when I go to SFDK. It would be nice if CGA would at least build shade structures over the stations like SFDK did over Medusa's station. This would benefit the guests, employees, and the drive wheels/other ride equipment in the station. Plus most of the park lacks shaded areas. The park has some trees, but they tend to not provide shade to the pathways.

Tidal Wave had a covered station.

Stealth had a covered que line at the station.

Demon has a covered que line at the station.

Drop Tower has a shaded que.

Logger's Run has a covered station.

Endeavor/Enterprise/Revolution (whatever) has a covered station que.

Yankee Clipper had a covered station.

And of course Grizzly has a covered station.

The woodie that never was probably would have had a covered station.

I don't know the logic of whether or not they decided a station/que on a ride should be covered. Several rides were/are yet several are not, there is just no sense to it. Whizzer was not covered and used drive tires so I don't know.

Maybe it was just a way to cut corners on expenses...but it does seem strange that a lot of the coasters have no covered shelter. Maybe (if it happens) the new Invertigo replacement will have a station cover/shelter.

Oh, and Tiki Twirl/Survivor has a semi shaded queue area that the queue doesn't fill up in.