TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I have friends who work at Great America and I worked there for 3 seasons and they can care less about what everyone says because there is nothing set in stone yet. I don't see the point of going insane about what's going to happen because no one knows what's happening. Idk, that's my two cents.

Only the future will show what's going to happen.

Chris

^OMG! It has a possibility of happening. I just checked both coaster facts at rcdb & their length is actually the same! & Top Gun's heigt is 7 feet shorter than Kong's! Hm but what name would SFDK give to Top Gun?

Why would CF sell a ride to a rival operator such as six flags? If CGA closes then the rides would be sent to other CF parks....at least the rides they want to relocate.

^OMG! It has a possibility of happening. I just checked both coaster facts at rcdb & their length is actually the same! & Top Gun's heigt is 7 feet shorter than Kong's! Hm but what name would SFDK give to Top Gun?

Why would CF sell a ride to a rival operator such as six flags? If CGA closes then the rides would be sent to other CF parks....at least the rides they want to relocate.

Well, Cedar Fair doesn't have any real investments in California then CGA, right? Unless they also own Gilroy but honestly I don't have intentions on going there anytime soon. Pls SFDK is pretty close and can cut down on shipping costs and maybe Cedar point can get a trade/money option. SFDK gets topgun and CP gets Kong and _____ amount of money.

Of course this isn't likely going to happen because Topgun is a really good/cool rollercoaster and has aged extremely well IMHO. It would be a blessing for any park to get as long as it's name isn't Cedar Point. Though even they would love it I bet.

Few things here... SFDK would not have room for Flight Deck's layout unless they removed rides and/or terraforming. I doubt they'd remove Kong, and if they did, FD's layout wouldn't fit in the space. Just because the height and length doesn't mean they hit in the same space... Just no...

Unless they also own Gilroy but honestly I don't have intentions on going there anytime soon.

Cedar Fair doesn't own Gilroy, the city does, and CF operates it for them. Honestly, I love Gilroy Gardens, it has a lot more charm than most other small amusement parks in Cali, ie. Belmont, Castle Park etc. The only downside is it's bizarre off the beaten trail location, which is the only thing hindering it. The city uses it for amusement and educational purposes, not solely for EXPAND EXPAND ADD MAVERICK CLONE. Come to think of it, the park didn't even make a profit until last year.

Here's some more images of Invertigo in pieces, this one looks like it is from the part that was in the station area

Thanks for the pictures. It's cool to see the track pieces, yet depressing at the same time.

I also see the staircase that went alongside the lift hill piled on top of the track.

Few things here... SFDK would not have room for Flight Deck's layout unless they removed rides and/or terraforming. I doubt they'd remove Kong, and if they did, FD's layout wouldn't fit in the space

The oly real restricted element Flight Deck has to it is the helix. And 'm sure it's pretty easy to dig a hole. That ride is very relocate-able.

If CGA closes, Cedar Fair will probably move Flight Deck to one of their other parks that doesn't already have a non-shuttle inverted coaster. This pretty much leaves either Valleyfair (more likely) or Kings Island. It would work well at either park, but I personally think it would fit better at Valleyfair. The ride is small enough that it can be relocated relatively easily, and wouldn't require much terrain modification to move.

As for the other coasters, here is my prediction.

Demon: I have a feeling this would go to the scrap heap. It is old and has a custom layout, making it difficult to relocate. Old Arrow rides aren't worth much anymore. There is a slight possibility another park could buy it, but I think that is pretty unlikely.

Grizzly: Sell to the firewood stand. Wooden coasters aren't easy to relocate and this one isn't worth it.

Psycho Mouse: Relocate to another Cedar Fair park. Any of the parks that don't currently have a wild mouse could probably use it, and it would be a good family coaster that could be installed fairly cheaply.

Taxi Jam: I don't think Cedar Fair would relocate this ride, but I could see someone else purchasing it. The ride isn't that old and would be great for a kiddie park or family entertainment center.

Vortex: Relocate to another Cedar Fair park. This could be used at several Cedar Fair parks (namely Knott's Berry Farm, Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair (if they didn't already get Flight Deck) or Worlds of Fun). I'm guessing it would most likely go to Michigan's Adventure as the layout would be difficult to squeeze into Knott's and Worlds of Fun tried a stand-up once.

Woodstock's Express: This probably would be scrapped. It is old and conforms pretty closely to the terrain, so I'm guessing it would actually be more difficult to relocate than it is worth.

Of course, I would prefer it if the park didn't close. There isn't enough information to say what will happen yet, but I'm guessing either Cedar Fair will start pumping money in or start pulling rides out (some non-coaster rides are worthy of being relocated too). By this time next year, we should have a good idea which one they have chosen.

^In a sense, this reminds me of what would happen to my cousin and I when we were younger when we took over another cousin's He-Man and Castle Greyskull set. We were quick to grab which figures we were to keep, first being He-Man himself, much like how everyone's quick to wish for one of CGA's rides in their home park, mainly Flight Deck to be the one everybody wants.

And this is probably one of my biggest peeves I've sort of developed over the course of the week. CGA is not Geauga Lake, I don't believe it's in the same situation as GL was. Sure, the note that Cedar Fair left doesn't look too good, shooting down the past quote that attendance rode 11% or so in the western parks. I honestly don't think the sell to the 49ers is going to happen, especially if all of these other hurdles for the 49ers project throw things off for them...and if our governor actually decides to take the redevelopment funding for this project and direct it towards our dwindling education system we have (that's about as far as I'll go with politics). We'll see how things roll as the 2011 season is just around the corner, especially if we see any form of construction starting to take place.

Another random note: When Tidal Wave and Stealth got removed, did everyone think GA was doomed? Especially since Tidal Wave had nothing to replace it. I was out of the CGA loop back in 2002/2003, was too busy following SFDK(MW) with their Zonga Coaster, V2 dilema, etc.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Laugh all you want now, but I'm not expecting this park to last more than a couple more seasons...if that.

And do not rule out a park getting a coaster type just because they already have one. Remember, LaRonde got an SLC when they already had a Batman clone...

Laugh all you want now, but I'm not expecting this park to last more than a couple more seasons...if that.

And do not rule out a park getting a coaster type just because they already have one. Remember, LaRonde got an SLC when they already had a Batman clone...

Agreed. I didn't know the park has this many supporters until going through this thread. I hate to say that CGA is a sinking ship. I'm going with this season as being its last.

Few things here... SFDK would not have room for Flight Deck's layout unless they removed rides and/or terraforming. I doubt they'd remove Kong, and if they did, FD's layout wouldn't fit in the space

The oly real restricted element Flight Deck has to it is the helix. And 'm sure it's pretty easy to dig a hole. That ride is very relocate-able.

I think it is pretty obvious where Top Gun should go...Hello Valleyfair!

I think Valleyfair! would be a great fit for Flight Deck. The antique cars site is my likely bet....

And I think Vortex would be a good fit for Kings Island or Worlds of Fun. I think Vortex, with a rehab on its rails and its trains getting some love, can be a great standup coaster again.

I don't doubt all of the rides will be salvaged... Haven't a clue where they may end up. (KD calls dibs on Delirium and Orbiter...)

Over the course of the week, I've watched this thread sadly evolve to a duplicate super rumor thread.all of these speculations are being made as to who gets what ride, everybody's counting their chickens before they hatch. Honestly I don't GA will be leaving anytime soon. Why? Because doesn't the leased land the park sits on have a requirement that it must be used for an amusement park until 2039? I've seen this mentioned several times.

Ok I'm done venting myself now.

If there's no official documentation supporting that "Amusement Park Use Only Clause" then you would be contributing to the rumors you mentioned previously would it not?

Not saying that clause doesn't exist, I would just like to see where this is documented.