TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^I was quite surprised as well that there were minimal responses...Atleast my coworker seemed interested in this and she's not even a TPR member! I mean, who would want to pass up SFDK and hanging out with TPR members anyway? CGA, I can somewhat understand especially if everything's the same as it was 3 years ago.

Just the idea that Robb and Elissa would be willing to go to the trouble of organizing an event that they can't even personally attend speaks volumes about their commitment to the members of TPR. With all the irons that R&E constantly have in the fire, setting up this event is just one more thing to deal with, and definitely something that they really don't owe to anyone or have to do for us. Let's show some appreciation and get some support going for this event! Everyone that I've met from TPR has been awesome and I'm sure everyone that attends will have a far better day at the parks than they would on a "normal" visit. I'd hate to see this offer to set up a great weekend at the bay area parks go by the wayside due to a lukewarm interest. I don't mean to rant or anything, but I can really see Robb's point when he expresses some disappointment in the relative lack of interest so far. Hopefully this thing will pick up some steam over the next few days.

Edited by Mechanic

I'm on the Road to Cedar Point or else I would go. I know if I went I would probably have about 10 people total from my family go. However, with me not being there to hold their hand, I could see them flaking. I'm still trying to get them to go, but no commitments yet.

After visiting each of the past two years I'm not interested in hitting CGA again so soon, particularly now that it's down a decent coaster. SCBB is much more appealing, and SFDK is still a great day.

I've been twice so far, and I really want to check out this waterpark. No telling if I'll get a chance to in the future.

One of the gems CGA has is that green waterslide, "DownUnder Thunder." It's one of those Boomerango type slides, loaded with a ton of airtime! I'll be looking forward to riding that again this season.

I LOVE Downhill Thunder-getting sprayed by the misters at the beginning,going vertical up the hill then backwards & flying over a bump at the end. I'll go on it at least 10 times this year. I had an OMFG moment when I was on the family raft ride. I was riding by myself & my raft went high up on one of the curves & almost flipped over. The 2 short slides from Manteca-Screamin Wombat & Ripsnort Ridge are pretty good too although I always get a wedgie from one of them. I really hope there is better operation with Jackaroo Landing this year. All times I went only ONE SLIDE was open!!! Of course I went during the week so I guess that's why. I like all the slides in Jackaroo Landing. Remember though the lockers are MUCH cheaper inside Boomerang Bay-only $10 with a $5 refund. The place right across from Boomerang Bay is much more-$15 for a small locker. I was also thinking that even though CGA is not a coaster park like SFMM it is more of a flat ride park-that's where your getting most your thrills from. Like for instance Endavor-the most scariest ride in the park. Delirum is real good too. Survivor er Tiki Twril & Firewall so CGA does have some thrills. May not be much like SFMM but hey it's better than nothing.

As long as they find a new home for Flight Deck (even though it was built specifically for CGA, I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it work at another park), they can scrap everything else. Cedar Fair could stand to make a fortune off this park by selling it, if for nothing else than the land it sits on.

\Send FD to KD,we need a better invert with more capacity than volcano:the bore coaster.

Also has anyone noticed the Great America does not have the new fancy web site design as the other Cedar Fair parks have. I know this would never happen but I think it would be cool if Flight Deck were to replace Kong at SFDK I know it would never happen.

As others have stated, this park unfortunately has "Geauga Lake 2" written all over it. I wonder what would've happened if that proposed woodie would have been built as planned. We'll never know, but I wonder if Cedar Fair would have tried to expand the park even more if the woodie was well received? I'm not sure how CGA draws attendance-wise versus the closest competing park, SFDK.

^OMG! It has a possibility of happening. I just checked both coaster facts at rcdb & their length is actually the same! & Top Gun's heigt is 7 feet shorter than Kong's! Hm but what name would SFDK give to Top Gun?

Green Lantern

^OMG! It has a possibility of happening. I just checked both coaster facts at rcdb & their length is actually the same! & Top Gun's heigt is 7 feet shorter than Kong's! Hm but what name would SFDK give to Top Gun?

Green Lantern

It wouldn't fit into the park's theming with the generic superhero name on it. If FD was to ever travel to SFDK I'd expect a more exotic name, like previous names, ie. Kong, Roar & Zonga.

What I can honestly see happening, is either the 49'ers or the city buying CGA from Cedar Fair and hiring another company to manage it. Or, just pulling a Geauga Lake/Kentucky Kingdom, by removing/closing rides over the course of a couple seasons and moving them to other parks in the chain, then closing the park for good. I'm hoping the latter option doesn't happen, but it's just a wait-and-see scenario.

I would be more likely to believe that Flight Deck would head to Minnesota than Virginia.....although Kings Island might be a suitible locale for it as well. I don't see it going to Kings Dominion though, but hey, they are putting a third invert to Dorney, so what do I know?

-Gary "My 1000th post!" T.

Yeah I know. I was kind of kidding about naming it Green Lantern, just because Six Flags and Cedar Fair are both uncreative with their names. For obvious reasons, Flight Deck wouldn't go to a rival park anyway. I could see Cedar Fair pulling a Kentucky Kingdom instead of a Geagua Lake (sell the park, still keep it open, but steal the best ride), and transplant Flight Deck to Kings Island. With a different name, obviously. It will be very interesting to see how this whole situation plays out.

I don't know...I'm just going to see how things play out before I ultimately draw conclusions. Things do seem quite coincidental as far as Geauga Lake and Kentucky Kingdom goes but I kind of doubt the same exact thing is going to come down. I'll give it until 2012 or whenever they decide to drop hints for 2012 (Great America's 'new opportunities') before I jump on the Geauga Lake bandwagon.