TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

OK, well I seem to be alone on this one, but the park is no longer dying, its dead. I have a very hard time believing that they will replace Invertigo with a new ride/coaster. IF the rumors are true, and they are in fact removing Invertgo, that will be the beginning to the end. Nothing will take its place, not a new GCI, and (sorry Scott), not even a wind seeker. I hate to see it happen, but with all this douche-bagerry and the 49'ers. I doubt it. Anywhere else in the country theme parks survive next to major stadiums with success...I think there is enough "bad blood" in this case to seal the deal on CGA's fate.

I posted this when Invertigos removal was a rumor . now that its confirmed, I said it once and I'll say it again.

THIS PARK IS DEAD. Sorry guys, no Maverick clone (that idea must have started while sleeping, farting and sneezing while on magic mushrooms...at the same time!)

Reminds me of Geauga Lake when X-Flight and Steel Venom were removed..................And we all know what happened to that park
Hello Geauga Lake V2.0.

Why doesn't anyone get it?

Now lets just keep in mind what happened with Geauga Lake, the park closed and the water park remained open so lets just see if next year will bring a water park expansion

OK, well I seem to be alone on this one, but the park is no longer dying, its dead. I have a very hard time believing that they will replace Invertigo with a new ride/coaster. IF the rumors are true, and they are in fact removing Invertgo, that will be the beginning to the end. Nothing will take its place, not a new GCI, and (sorry Scott), not even a wind seeker. I hate to see it happen, but with all this douche-bagerry and the 49'ers. I doubt it. Anywhere else in the country theme parks survive next to major stadiums with success...I think there is enough "bad blood" in this case to seal the deal on CGA's fate.

I posted this when Invertigos removal was a rumor . now that its confirmed, I said it once and I'll say it again.

THIS PARK IS DEAD. Sorry guys, no Maverick clone (that idea must have started while sleeping, farting and sneezing while on magic mushrooms...at the same time!)

Reminds me of Geauga Lake when X-Flight and Steel Venom were removed..................And we all know what happened to that park
Hello Geauga Lake V2.0.

Why doesn't anyone get it?

Sad to say that it looks like the writing's on the wall & CGA is destined to go the way of GL & SFAW...CF is in debt & needs the rides so they can relocate them to other parks for pennies on the dollar compared to buying new.I mean look at the invertigo relocation,seems like they're borrowing a page from the old SFI platbook & starting up their own version of the ride rotation program.

If CGA does go under I call dibs on flight deck for KD.

Take it from experience - just because they are giving Grizzly some love doesn't mean CF is interested in keeping the park. They finished the retracking Six Flags started on RWB and in 2007 they straightened out the trick track on Villain yet they still closed Geauga Lake.

The signs are all there. From Kinzel's remarks to the lack of new additions to the removal of rides, CGA is doomed and that is very sad as it is decent park based on my 2001 visit. I hope that if and when that time comes they have learned their lesson from the Geauga closing fiasco and give the park a proper farewell.

Invertigo is going to Dorney!!! I'm happy it's not getting demolished and plus now it's alot closer to where i live on the east coast so i will finally get to ride it! p.s. CGA should use the giant ass lake that flight deck goes onto to build a BIG looper. if they built a ride that was 200 Ft tall and 70+ mph that would put the park on the map.

Invertigo is going to Dorney!!! I'm happy it's not getting demolished and plus now it's alot closer to where i live on the east coast so i will finally get to ride it! p.s. CGA should use the giant A$$ lake that flight deck goes onto to build a BIG looper. if they built a ride that was 200 Ft tall and 70+ mph that would put the park on the map.

What a brilliant idea! Someone get Danny from SFNO on the phone and inform him of this genius business venture!

I have a feeling that if Cedar Fair closes the park the closure will be all inclusive of Boomerang Bay

Yeah, I think that too, but you never know.

I hope CGA doesn't close, but with the way things are going... well...

p.s. CGA should use the giant A$$ lake that flight deck goes onto to build a BIG looper. if they built a ride that was 200 Ft tall and 70+ mph that would put the park on the map.

Sorry, but this is just wishful thinking at this point.

Invertigo is going to Dorney!!! I'm happy it's not getting demolished and plus now it's alot closer to where i live on the east coast so i will finally get to ride it! p.s. CGA should use the giant A$$ lake that flight deck goes onto to build a BIG looper. if they built a ride that was 200 Ft tall and 70+ mph that would put the park on the map.

Great idea to anger the neighbors even more! Right on the other side of that pond is a small creek and large residential zone.

I really could only see maybe 2 or 3 of the coasters being relocated to current cedar fair parks. If indeed the park is sold.

Afterburn - KI

Vortex - MIA or scraped

Phyco Mouse - KI or scrap and send the cars to MIA's Arrow mouse.

---------

Grizzly - Demolished (No one is wanna buy a wooden coaster and transport it especially like grizzly.)

Demon - hard to transport so it most likely will be scraped and send the trains to one of the other chains arrow loopers

Woodstock - sell or scraped send trains to CP

Taxi Jam - Sell or scrapped

Other rides I could see keeping are and sending them elsewhere are

Planet Snoopy and maybe a few Kidsvile rides (except for Woodstock and Taxi Jam) - MIA (only one in the chain w/o a PS)

Tiki Twirl - MIA

Firefall - maybe CW or scrapped

Delirium - KD

and hopefully they preserve the carousel and send it to maybe KI

Just some opinions of mine.

some are wishing lol

Before I type out what I'm about to say, many of you may look at me crazy, that maybe I'm fantasizing things a bit too much. Sure, my hopes of a new Intamin launched coaster (like Maverick) or something 'major' are definitely out the door, I'm still keeping some kind of hope for CGA's future.

After thinking about things since the initial post about CGA not being profitable, I've tried piecing things together starting in 2008 when the woodie was supposed to happen (but didn't, thus the park taking a hard blow and becoming 'non profitable'), Invertigo's removal and the statement on the CGA page in regards to opening up new opportunities for GA, I've come to this possible conclusion. My guess/speculation is that maybe Cedar Fair could have 1 more attempt to put something new into the park and the way to get around their neighborly challenges was to ditch Invertigo for maybe something custom built. We were to see a custom built woodie whose plans got derailed in 2008, why can't there be a possibility of another custom built ride fall into place again to bring hope back into the park? The easy answer (I'm in no way a business major by the way, nor am I an amusement park operator) to make profit is to invest in something major for the park such as a new coaster. Anyone else kind of see where I'm coming at?

In the mean time, I plan on getting a pass so I can enjoy CGA while its still here, much like how I'm still enjoying the Santa Claw while it's still up.

This just smells like Kentucky Kingdom all over again. You have a park thats built on leased land, the rides are owned by a company that does not care about the park, you have trouble from the neighbors ( the airport in KK case ), and said company just removed the most popular ride at the park ( Chang in KK case, removed for a non existent waterpark expansion ).

As long as they find a new home for Flight Deck (even though it was built specifically for CGA, I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it work at another park), they can scrap everything else. Cedar Fair could stand to make a fortune off this park by selling it, if for nothing else than the land it sits on.

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of interest in a Bay Area event. Kind of surprised with how many people kept asking me about a "Bay Area Bash", etc, this year. If the response to the event is at all indicative of the attitude towards the Bay Area theme parks, I can kind of see why Cedar Fair might be wanting to unload this property....

If you are interested in a Bay Area event this year, please let us know:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58325