TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Is Invertigo headed to Dorney Park?

Dorney Park lining up more thrills

Company won't identify new ride, but that hasn't stopped the speculating.

Mum's the word on a new ride slated to join Dorney Park's lineup of belly-dropping, giggle-inducing thrillers, and park representatives say enthusiasts will have to wait until summer 2012 to try it out.

Dorney Park's parent corporation, Cedar Fair L.P., submitted a plan to South Whitehall Township for a new 138-foot-high amusement ride. But the plan doesn't mention what kind of a ride it is, and the park's general manager, Jason McClure, said his lips are sealed.

"We are keeping our focus on 2011 and all the new things we have in store with Planet Snoopy," McClure said.

The park's opening day will reveal the results of an $8 million top-to-bottom makeover of 10-year-old Camp Snoopy, the 3.5-acre children's area named after the too-cool beagle from Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" comic strip. The renovation will bring six new rides, an amphitheater, a souvenir store and a "soda pop shop" featuring root beer floats.

Dorney representatives will take questions about the proposed 2012 addition from the South Whitehall Planning Commission on Feb. 17, but even that won't demystify the new ride.

"The Planning Commission can ask us a variety of questions… but it's premature to get into a lot of detail," McClure said.

That hasn't stopped people from speculating that the incoming ride will be a coaster from California's Great America called Invertigo. The coaster happens to be 138 feet tall and is being relocated to another park within Cedar Fair's amusement park empire, according to a Great America news release issued last week.

Invertigo takes riders sitting face to face up a 138-foot-tall tower, then on several loops and twists both forward and backward through three inversions.

The rumor of the swap surfaced last week on a theme-park fan site called Screamscape.com, but Dorney spokesman Chuck Hutchison said the rumors are just that — rumors.

Invertigo reopened in July almost a year after a mechanical failure left two dozen people trapped 80 feet in the air for at least three hours, according to CNN. All of the trapped riders were rescued and no one was injured.

Under Dorney's proposal for a new ride, several kiddie rides would be removed, as well as a basketball game, concrete midways and a portion of a paved service drive, affecting about 1.7 acres of the 187-acre property zoned as commercial recreation.

Three Dorney rides are listed for sale on Ital International LLC, which dubs itself as the amusement industry's most comprehensive new and used ride brokerage source. The Antique Cars and Dune Buggy rides are both listed for $18,000, and the Kiddie Merry-Go-Round is listed for $25,000.

The ride is slated for the western portion of the park, just north of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road and south of the mammoth Steel Force coaster, where the old Laser coaster used to be.

The Laser was removed in 2008 after 22 years of double-loop thrills. The portable coaster, anchored by tanks of water, was originally named Colossus.

The site of the new ride, where Laser stood, is on the edge of a 100-year flood plain. The location caused heated debate at the township level when Dorney sought approval for Laser. It was eventually approved with a host of conditions attached.

If Invertigo greets fans in 2012, it would be the park's third inverted coaster, making Dorney Park the only amusement park in the country to have three true inverted coasters, according to a post on Screamscape.com.

McClure said the park will release more information on the ride this summer.

Is Invertigo headed to Dorney Park?

Dorney Park lining up more thrills

Company won't identify new ride, but that hasn't stopped the speculating.

Mum's the word on a new ride slated to join Dorney Park's lineup of belly-dropping, giggle-inducing thrillers, and park representatives say enthusiasts will have to wait until summer 2012 to try it out.

Dorney Park's parent corporation, Cedar Fair L.P., submitted a plan to South Whitehall Township for a new 138-foot-high amusement ride. But the plan doesn't mention what kind of a ride it is, and the park's general manager, Jason McClure, said his lips are sealed.

"We are keeping our focus on 2011 and all the new things we have in store with Planet Snoopy," McClure said.

The park's opening day will reveal the results of an $8 million top-to-bottom makeover of 10-year-old Camp Snoopy, the 3.5-acre children's area named after the too-cool beagle from Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" comic strip. The renovation will bring six new rides, an amphitheater, a souvenir store and a "soda pop shop" featuring root beer floats.

Dorney representatives will take questions about the proposed 2012 addition from the South Whitehall Planning Commission on Feb. 17, but even that won't demystify the new ride.

"The Planning Commission can ask us a variety of questions… but it's premature to get into a lot of detail," McClure said.

That hasn't stopped people from speculating that the incoming ride will be a coaster from California's Great America called Invertigo. The coaster happens to be 138 feet tall and is being relocated to another park within Cedar Fair's amusement park empire, according to a Great America news release issued last week.

Invertigo takes riders sitting face to face up a 138-foot-tall tower, then on several loops and twists both forward and backward through three inversions.

The rumor of the swap surfaced last week on a theme-park fan site called Screamscape.com, but Dorney spokesman Chuck Hutchison said the rumors are just that — rumors.

Invertigo reopened in July almost a year after a mechanical failure left two dozen people trapped 80 feet in the air for at least three hours, according to CNN. All of the trapped riders were rescued and no one was injured.

Under Dorney's proposal for a new ride, several kiddie rides would be removed, as well as a basketball game, concrete midways and a portion of a paved service drive, affecting about 1.7 acres of the 187-acre property zoned as commercial recreation.

Three Dorney rides are listed for sale on Ital International LLC, which dubs itself as the amusement industry's most comprehensive new and used ride brokerage source. The Antique Cars and Dune Buggy rides are both listed for $18,000, and the Kiddie Merry-Go-Round is listed for $25,000.

The ride is slated for the western portion of the park, just north of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road and south of the mammoth Steel Force coaster, where the old Laser coaster used to be.

The Laser was removed in 2008 after 22 years of double-loop thrills. The portable coaster, anchored by tanks of water, was originally named Colossus.

The site of the new ride, where Laser stood, is on the edge of a 100-year flood plain. The location caused heated debate at the township level when Dorney sought approval for Laser. It was eventually approved with a host of conditions attached.

If Invertigo greets fans in 2012, it would be the park's third inverted coaster, making Dorney Park the only amusement park in the country to have three true inverted coasters, according to a post on Screamscape.com.

McClure said the park will release more information on the ride this summer.

Two transplanted rides right next to each other and both are inverted shuttle coasters?!?

Seems a tad bit repetitive, no?

Edited by ernierocker

Hmmmmm. Sounds like Invertigo to me. The article says Cedar Fair applied for a permit for 138ft tall and Invertigo is 131ft tall but that 7ft doesn't mean much.

Thanks for sharing.

Actually, the advertised hieght for Invertigo was indeed 138 feet tall. It's makes it quite obvious.

Sniff. Sniff. I'm getting a little sad about loosing Invertigo now. I've been riding it since it's opening year 1998. I remember when it first opened it had on ride pictures for awhile but the on ride pictures have been long gone for years. I wanted the picture but when I saw my pic the over shoulder restraints were hiding my face. At least I got my last 5 rides on it last year. The last time I went to CGA last year I went on it 3 times in a row-had to walk around to get the next train but man 3 times in a row on Invertigo way too much. Felt a little akward after. How many times in a row have you all gone on Invertigo? The Demon had on ride pics too. The camera was right after the corkscrew. I have an old faded one from 1993. I just sure hope a nice good steel coaster replaces Invertigo. Like Maverick or Flight Of Fear. CGA could use either one of those. But please CF don't waste the space & give us a crappy Poney Express ride!

Sniff. Sniff. I'm getting a little sad about loosing Invertigo now. I've been riding it since it's opening year 1998. I remember when it first opened it had on ride pictures for awhile but the on ride pictures have been long gone for years. I wanted the picture but when I saw my pic the over shoulder restraints were hiding my face. At least I got my last 5 rides on it last year. The last time I went to CGA last year I went on it 3 times in a row-had to walk around to get the next train but man 3 times in a row on Invertigo way too much. Felt a little akward after. How many times in a row have you all gone on Invertigo? The Demon had on ride pics too. The camera was right after the corkscrew. I have an old faded one from 1993. I just sure hope a nice good steel coaster replaces Invertigo. Like Maverick or Flight Of Fear. CGA could use either one of those. But please CF don't waste the space & give us a crappy Poney Express ride!

I can do Invertigo at most 3 times before I start feeling nauseated. I fortunately ended my 2010 season on CGA's last day of the 2010 season riding Invertigo several times, ending the day with a ride on Invertigo. Traditionally I always start and end my day riding Flight Deck but I felt like being different this round...and glad I did. Especially towards the end of the season, I've gotten numerous walk-on rides on Invertigo. As I previously mentioned, I even rode Invertigo in the pouring rain. Yes, a Cedar Fair park running their rides in heavy rain! It was pure craziness doing so, felt like someone was spraying me in the face the whole time going forward. Topping things off, we were on one of the end seats. As I also said earlier (several pages back) Invertigo was my first roller coaster where I was the only rider on it. Was cool, felt like I had the entire ride to myself

My first ride on Invertigo was back in 1999 when a group of friends and I went there. The ride had broken down as we were grabbing something to eat, I noticed it had reopened so we quickly got over to the line which was fortunately quite short.

So yea, I think I'm done reminiscing about Invertigo. It's been a good ride, had an almost good life (until it decided to break the day after West Coast Bash at CGA).

Lordy... why so much hate against Cedar Fair? 5 years ago, the company could do no wrong and now it's bash-bash-bash-bash-bash!

I for one don't mind Invertigo going to Dorney. They already have a place for it, the ride will be new to the market, and it's well below the height restriction for that area. Dorney obviously has been doing well, and what better way to add to the park by putting in another used coaster at a fraction of the cost of a new one?

I don't want to see anything bad happen to Great America, but Marriot dumped it, Paramount dumped it and Cedar Fair had it for sale for some time, so there's obviously something going on... though I still have faith that Cedar Fair will hold onto it.

I don't blame Cedar Fair for everything. Cedar Fair is doing what Marriot and Paramount did.....try to work with it and fix it up to be presentable and try to market it. The park could have limped along with the b*tchy neighbors alone but now with this stadium project moving along full steam ahead Cedar Fair has to make a decision and decide if keeping the park is in their best interest. The park's nostalgia and memories only go so far. Cedar Fair is trying to run a business. Some people on here call me negative but I'm a realist. No, I don't want to see the park close but that may be the reality sooner than later. I truly hope I am wrong though cause I like going to CGA when I travel to Nor Cal every summer.

Why is Dorney all of a sudden becoming CF's dumping ground?

Invertigo technically wouldn't be anything "new" since Hershey has a standard boomerang. Both types of rides are basically the same thing. Should have given GL's Head Spin to Michigan's Adventure, GL's Thunderhawk to Valleyfair, and Invertigo to Carowinds.

I know it's been said that it would never go to CP, and I agree, but it sure would fit where Demon Drop used to be.

^^Invertigo will be in a new market and can be marketed as a new attraction. Even though it's almost confirmed to be going to Dorney we all know that Cedar Fair can change things last minute. IE: Demon Drop's original destination was Knott's and look where it ended up.....

Lordy... why so much hate against Cedar Fair? 5 years ago, the company could do no wrong and now it's bash-bash-bash-bash-bash!

I for one don't mind Invertigo going to Dorney. They already have a place for it, the ride will be new to the market, and it's well below the height restriction for that area. Dorney obviously has been doing well, and what better way to add to the park by putting in another used coaster at a fraction of the cost of a new one?

I don't want to see anything bad happen to Great America, but Marriot dumped it, Paramount dumped it and Cedar Fair had it for sale for some time, so there's obviously something going on... though I still have faith that Cedar Fair will hold onto it.

Technically Marriott and Paramount didn't really "dump" just CGA... Both chains basically dropped out of the theme park industry and CGA happened to constantly end up operating under chains that didn't put too many capital investments into it compared to the other parks (although Paramount did an okay job with adding Top Gun, Drop Zone, and Stealth). That's not to say that CGA was "neglected' compared to other parks in the chain because it certainly was.

How many times in a row have you all gone on Invertigo?

I could only stand one ride in a row for Invertigo. Every time I got off it, I found walking to be a bit of a challenge (but in a good way!). I would ride it at least two times for every visit, my record is four times throughout a day.

On a different note, CGA has finally posted off-season pics on their Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=262738&id=28442453154#!/album.php?aid=262738&id=28442453154

The retracking of Grizzly's first drop is looking good. Looks like CGA is serious about attempting to smooth the ride out.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm most looking forward to riding the Grizzly this season...Can it be 2012 yet?

Im sure most of you already know that Invertigo is not going to ValleyFair here is just another quote that confirms it is not going there.

"CGA had to get rid of an old ride to make room for their upcoming ride. For Valleyfair to get a new ride, it's very possible we'd have to remove an old ride as well. We're just happy this year that we can add Planet Snoopy without losing any of the favorites elsewhere in the park." Quote from ValleyFair Facebook