TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

A B&M flyer to replace our long-lost Stealth would be nice but CGA already has 2 B&M's (though that's never stopped SFMM from having 3 B&M's).

Magic Mountain, Great America, and Over Georgia has 4. Great Adventure has 5. Heck Alton Towers has 8 coasters, and 3 of those are B&M's. Anything is possible at this point....though I doubt Cedar Fair would ever buy a flyer...the only ones they own are ones they aqquired.

Yeah there's no limit that says you can only have ONE ride from a given company...come on SFA at one point had 3 major vekomas & at the time their invertigo was installed all they needed was a standard boomerang & loopscrew model to complete the collection.

You never know,CF may add a flyer to one of their parks especially when they run out of coaster types to install at said park.

Something makes me think that the proposed wooden coaster for 2009 will never be built ever. Unless the neighbors move, there's really no hope for that ride being built. You can thank Prudential Realty for keeping woodie a dream. Does anybody know if the layout for that woodie was supposed to be a Renegade clone. I've heard somehting like that before and just want to see if that's really true.

^Looks great. But it's all those stupid bitchy complaining neighbors fault. Hey neighbors who was here long before you? If you neighbors don't like it you can just move on out of there. Why don't they put up frigen sound walls surrounding their offices. That will solve their stinky problem. & If CF were smart enough they still could have had it built but just running on weekends to accomadate the complaints.

The woodie that CGA would have gotten was Prowler, but we all know where that coaster went.

QFT. I've explained this a while ago (can't find where I said it) but if you as a park operator buy a ride, you sign a contract. You agree to for a company to build you a ride. If the plans fall through, you are contractually obligatd to pay for this ride even if you as the operator opt not to build it. So I'm sure when word got out that CGA couln't have this coaster installed I'm sure the internal conversation went something like this, :"I don't care where you put it. I don't care if you leave the lumber sitting in a Public Storage for all we care. You agreed to buy this ride, It's yours". And so it went to another park.

^^That would be an extremely dumb move on CF's part if they were to only operate a coaster on weekends because of noise. Do you know how many questions and complaints the park would get?! Why build a $10 million coaster and only operate 2 days of the week?

I just found out the answer to my own question. It can never be a Top Thrill Dragster-it's height is 405 ft & I-305 is 320 ft. That is way out of CGA's height range. The highest CGA could go is 224 ft which is Drop Zone's height. This just sucks so bad. AH BUT they can put in a Wicked Twister which has a height of 215. It can also be an Xcelator clone though which is only 205 ft.

An awesome coaster can still go to the park and it doesn't necessarily have to be 200 feet or more.

I remember back in August of 2008 Jeff Pike from GCI was speaking at ACE's Preservation Con at Lake Compounce. Rumors about CGA were floating around so Pike was asked about the CGA woodie. He said that at that time the project was scheduled to continue. He also said that GCI was working on a second coaster project for another Cedar Fair park. Later that month it was revealed to be WOF.

Mr. Pike's statement combined with the fact that early work for Prowler was visible in March of 2008 leaves me to belive that they were two seperate projects and Prowler would have been built regardless of the situation at CGA.

I have no doubt that CF signed a contract with GCI and paid them a good amount of money to work up the design. I think it is most likely that CF paid a penalty fee to end the contract and not proceed with the building of the ride.

If CGA can get a maverick clone that would be pretty good. Not to mention SFDK won't be able to top the height at all due to height restriction's on it's land.

But honestly if CGA puts a flat ride or two in there, it won't change my plans of not going there. Honestly I been wanting to go to Santa Cruze Beach Boardwalk and that's further away then CGA.

I kind of have a feeling it won't be a flat. There isn't much 'design' need to plop in a cookie-cutter flat. We've got a nice collection of flat rides anyway (which is one of the redeeming qualities of CGA), somewhat comparable to the SCBB's collection, though slightly different with their own classics. If any flat does come in, it would be nice to come with a new coaster...bring back Triple Play, with a Maverick-like coaster...I'd be in heaven!

Is that picture of Maverick an actual possibility? Are the two pictures in proportion? That would be sweet if that could actually happen. A wooden coaster seems like it is what the park needs...actually, the park just needs a new coaster. It doesn't even matter what kind.

I enjoyed my time at the park last spring though. Flight Deck was great and Grizzly wasn't even that bad. The area around Drop Zone (or whatever it's called) can use a little touching up. Other than that, I thought the park was pretty good.

It is entirely and completely possible for that to happen. Remember, if the park really wants it they will make it fit, even if that means tweaking the layout or moving existing stuff around. A Maverick type ride would be awesome for many reasons such as it doesn't have to bee 200 feet tall, the layout is somewhat compact and can be adjusted to fit where they want to put it, etc etc.

I don't know what they are going to do but I'm not going to dismiss any possibilty as we don't know what the plans are yet.

OMG! A Maverick clone fits perfectly! Come on! Maverick, Maverick, Maverick!!! CF PLEASE READ!!! We all want an EXACT Mavrick clone!!! It's perfect for the spot!!! Please pretty please give us a Mavrick!!! & Um CGA has way too many flats as it is no more is needed. Time to focus on the coasters especially since now Invertigo is disappearing. Yet a perfectly good coaster gone on top of 2 others that are gone too. & Please don't give us some crappy revision of Maverick give us the same Maverick version that is at CP. & Please hurry up & make the announcement already. All of us are on pins & needles. We want to find out what the new coaster is NOW.