TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Ummm Steel Venom is a completely different ride like stated before. I guess people here have forgotten that SFDK has V2 AND Boomerang. Knotts has Montezooma's Revenge AND Boomerang. CGA used to have Greased Lightnin AND Invertigo. So that's not uncommon to have 2 different types of boomerangs. I can see Invertigo at Valleyfair. So even if Valleyfair gets Invertigo, Valleyfair can still get a fancy invert. CGA has had invertigo AND Top Gun. Those are both inverts. I still can bet 1 Million dollars it will end up at Valleyfair. 2 Invertigo's racing that's a stupid idea they would never have 2 at one park.

The plans of course are......

COMING IN 2011

Official Press Release-

Coming to California's Great America this Memorial Day Weekend. FENCE THE RIDE...... Fence the Ride will be very thrilling. Fence the Ride will include advertisements on which park to go to when we close down CGA. Fence the Ride will be located surround the former "Invertigo" area. "Invertgo" was located next to Grizzly and Demon. ENJOY THE FENCE!

And of course lets hope it isn't a fence advertising a ride the park was never to get like they did with Hypersonic

Or the GCI woodie that we never got. What a hoot fence the ride. That will surely be the new attraction nothing but fences all around the park. Let's see how many can climb all over every fence & make it a contest. Or how about hey CGA have a trash can jumping contest see who can jump over the most trash cans. Have fun at those new contests for 2012.

One can hope it goes to Michigan's Adventure! Pretty much any coaster would be a great addition there as it is still a developing theme park. The ride would work well at Valleyfair, but I do not think taking out Mild Thing would be enough room. If Michigan's Adventure gets Invertigo, I'll make sure to head there!

Or the GCI woodie that we never got. What a hoot fence the ride. That will surely be the new attraction nothing but fences all around the park. Let's see how many can climb all over every fence & make it a contest. Or how about hey CGA have a trash can jumping contest see who can jump over the most trash cans. Have fun at those new contests for 2012.

Reminds me of something I once saw at SFA when an idiot tried(and failed) to clear a trashcan.....& that was just one can that he ended up landing in,let alone a row of say 20.

ok here's my two cents.. Valleyfair is my home park, and as despertly we need a new coaster. Please don't send it to us.. This would totally rule out any possiblty for the B&M invert, which we need!! I mean think about it we already have steel venom. why would we need another shuttle/launch coaster??? MIA all ready has thunderhawk..so it would be a better choice to send it there. Now i know were getting planet snoppy this year which is costing them 10 mil and if they were to send us the vekoma that would mean we wouldn't get a coaster till like 14' or 15'. so PLEASE vF if you reading this.. send it to MIA and give us the B&M invert!!!!!!!!!

This post is just an example, but for all those who say that Invertigo rules out Valleyfair's B&M Invert, how did it come from a park...with a B&M invert?

Hell, maybe Valleyfair will get Flight Deck too.

Its not so much having two inverts that rules it out, its having three. Steel Venom, Invertigo, and a B&M seems overkill. I'd be totally fine with it, but it seems repetative.

I know that at the moment, SFDK has 2 shuttle coasters, and 2 inverted coasters. SFMM has 2 shuttle coasters (Deja Vu and Superman) as well as having 2 inverted coasters. CGA once had 2.5 shuttle coasters as well as 2 inverted. I say 2.5 because Survivor could be a shuttle (that's powered, hence being a semi shuttle). Kind of see where I'm going with this? At this point in time, we really don't know where it could go...kind of a wait and see just like what new attraction could potentially come in at CGA.

In regards to CGA, I've seen a lot of negativity...like its going to be the next Geauga Lake. Didn't Geauga Lake close down due to its proximity to Kings Island and Cedar Point, 2 larger sized parks? As in it was not easy to market a 3rd park when you have 2 large parks just a few hours away? I think someone posted this several pages back. In the end, I honestly don't think CGA will be leaving anytime soon. SFDK needs something to compete with, the bay area is a populated place so losing an amusement park in a highly populated area would have a negative impact. While we would still have SFDK and SCBB in the area, it would still have an effect on tourism and stuff. I still have feelings that we can possibly see something by 2012...so I'm anxious to get this season going, hoping to see some further construction happening beyond Invertigo's removal...and not construction for a future bench.

I love how everybody thinks that this park is going to die when the park is really just on stand by mode. Yes, if they were to announce a new ride they should do it now but they will get there when they get there. If you're not going to buy a season pass just because of Invertigo, I'd strongly urge you to reconsider before you buy a Six Flags season pass from a company that's mkaing budget cuts left and right. Just a thought.

P.S. Somebody on this forum on this dosen't understand sarcasm.

2 Invertigo's racing that's a stupid idea they would never have 2 at one park.

I know that at the moment, SFDK has 2 shuttle coasters, and 2 inverted coasters. SFMM has 2 shuttle coasters (Deja Vu and Superman) as well as having 2 inverted coasters. CGA once had 2.5 shuttle coasters as well as 2 inverted. I say 2.5 because Survivor could be a shuttle (that's powered, hence being a semi shuttle). Kind of see where I'm going with this? At this point in time, we really don't know where it could go...kind of a wait and see just like what new attraction could potentially come in at CGA.

In regards to CGA, I've seen a lot of negativity...like its going to be the next Geauga Lake. Didn't Geauga Lake close down due to its proximity to Kings Island and Cedar Point, 2 larger sized parks? As in it was not easy to market a 3rd park when you have 2 large parks just a few hours away? I think someone posted this several pages back. In the end, I honestly don't think CGA will be leaving anytime soon. SFDK needs something to compete with, the bay area is a populated place so losing an amusement park in a highly populated area would have a negative impact. While we would still have SFDK and SCBB in the area, it would still have an effect on tourism and stuff. I still have feelings that we can possibly see something by 2012...so I'm anxious to get this season going, hoping to see some further construction happening beyond Invertigo's removal...and not construction for a future bench.

You make a good point. There is alot of doom and gloom in this thread, and some of it with good reason. But let's not forget, CGA is as land locked as any park can get. Once they were unable to build the wooden coaster where they wanted, there isn't much choice other than to remove a ride in order to build a new one. Invertigo is the most logical choice given it's location and operational issues. Another park with a larger maintanance budget would be a better fit for the ride, and it frees up an area for something else.

As I said earlier, the parks next statement will come towards the end of this season when everyone who cares, will be on the look out for possible construction. Now a days there are so many thrilling coaster options for parks on a budget, with limited space. It's also possible to build a station and queue in that area, and have the actual coaster jump over and out of that immediate area (several coasters at Knotts do just that).

Things don't look good right now, but this is far from a done deal yet.

I will always have hope for CGA and I believe that it will stay open the bay area is a huge place with more and more people moving here like others have said. I also think I heard on the news or something awhile ago that Yahoo might be leaving that location next to Great America. If that is true could Cedar Fair buy that land and expand further out that way?

CGA is as land locked as any park can get

Knotts is also pretty well filled to the brim. They are kind of like what seems to be a large city block. So either we'll see things piled on top of each other, or see 'useless/hard to maintain' rides removed to make way for something new. I wonder how Knotts does it...they seem to shoehorn everything in where ever they can find space. Looking at CGA, there are several spaces that they could potentially cram things into...but once you start doing that, then the whole atmosphere of a simple amusement park is gone.

If you're not going to buy a season pass just because of Invertigo...

Honestly, most of last season, us CGA pass holders were Vekoma-less for most of the season. I still had Drop Tower and Flight Deck to keep me satisfied...I still enjoy the Demon a lot too (provided I'm in the newly refurbished red train!). Vortex, I really want to enjoy but it's gotten quite rough. Plus, when summer comes around, there's an awesome green waterslide to be ridden. To me it seems to be easy to forget the positives this park does have and instead point out all of the faults it has.

And here's why I keep thinking positive about CGA and their future:

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definite, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

This tells me that there are already things in the can to be pulled off... Being 'not definite' to me would mean that they just need to get the green light. How many green lights they'll need before things are approved is beyond me. So with this said, they can't really say too much as not everything is 100% finalized. Honestly, why would they waste the money to evaluate the site and have plans already in the works just to leave us an empty plot? 2011 will be an interesting season.

CGA's situation isn't how GL's situation was. CGA actually has competion from other parks that aren't owned by the same company. I think that there's still much hope for CGA and the very fate of it. Who says it has to turn out the way Geauga Lake did?

thats what i was saying.. in my post. if we were to get that and the B&M invert it will be too much. It would be a better fit for MIA.. they allready are taking out chaos. that would be a perfect spot for it more then enough room..how much does a vekoma invertigo cost anyways?the planet snoopy is allready costing 10 mil..

Screamscape posted Today 1/29/11:

Ride going to Dorney!!

2012 - Invertigo - Rumor - (1/29/11) In case you missed the rumor from California’s Great America, it has been confirmed that their Invertigo coaster will be removed in the next few weeks to be sent to another Cedar Fair park. The early rumor, even before the removal was confirmed, was that it was going to Dorney Park for the 2012 season. This would make Dorney Park the only park in the country (world maybe too) to have 3 true Inverted coasters. (No, I’m not counting Suspended or Flying coasters) Stay tuned!

I have kind of a mixed opinion of it going to Dorney. I'm sure it would be popular but another 52" or 54" coaster isn't needed with the last 3 coasters added all having those height requirements. There were rumors Dorney was going to get a GCI in 2008, and with Voodoo being added that didnt happen so if Dorney gets Invertigo that will mean even longer before the GCI is added.

^The impulse (whatever its name is now) wasn't a bad ride to get dumped with. However, Demon Drop and Invertigo are just pathetic rides to get saddled with.

Agreed, plus Voodoo/Possessed is still problematic. My first 4 visits to the park this past season, it was closed 3 out 4 visits and the 1 visit it was open, it broke down shortly after I rode the coaster. Demon Drop although fun, just wasn't needed and seems so outdated with a modern drop tower so close to Demon Drop.

This thread isn't to talk about Dorney getting the new coaster, Its about CGA losing it.

if we were to get that and the B&M invert it will be too much. It would be a better fit for MIA.. they allready are taking out chaos. that would be a perfect spot for it more then enough room..how much does a vekoma invertigo cost anyways...

Too much huh? well good for you to complain about abundance, however we are losing a major attraction at out home park. At least the locals for Dorney get a new ride, But the locals for CGA lose an entire park.

In my speculation, (I've said it before) this is the beginning to an end. IF Cedar Fair could add a new coaster, they would have...3 years ago. That never happened so why is everyone so hell-bent on expecting a new one now?

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definate, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

Sounds like a bunch of concrete and parking lot to me!

Trust me, I hate to lose my home park, but if you follow the controversy behind all this stadium stuff, its not that hard to figure out.