TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^Agreed. When I say it's a good ride, I just mean that I personally enjoy it. I think Invertigos and GIBs are significantly more exciting than standard Boomerangs, but I can understand there are plenty of reasons a park wouldn't want to add or keep one (generic and simplistic layout, maintenance issues, bad rep, etc.).

Some of you are over-analyzing why specific parks may not get the ride. Just because they already have a shuttle or even an SLC does not exclude them. Keep in mind Cedar Fair's last ride recycle. Originally planning on putting Demon Drop in at Knott's (Which already has a drop tower), then eventually moving it to Dorney (Which ALSO has a drop tower). You can't rule a park out because they have a ride with similar characteristics.

Primarily a lurker here, but I'm surprised the park has lasted as long as it has.

I used to live a light rail ride away from Great America when it was owned by Marriott's and Paramount (although the light rail wasn't around yet when Marriott's owned it). Given it's location in a business park area and near the airport it wasn't surprising that it never expanded much. It is surprising that it's still around given the proximity and superiority of Discovery Kingdom.

I haven't been there in over 12 years so maybe it's changed but based on my memories I could do the park in half a day and after awhile it just wasn't worth going to anymore, season pass or not. Especially after they removed the Whizzer back in the late 80s (it was my first roller coaster so I have a lot of fond memories of it). Instead, we would make the trek over the hill to Santa Cruz and do the boardwalk.

If it does stick around could they please tear down Grizzly and put a GCI woodie in it's place? Grizzly is such a waste of wood.

I do agree Flight Deck (or Top Gun when I last visited) is the best ride in the park but it's way too short.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

CF wanted to sell the park, my guess is a multi-business developer would love to get is hands on the property for some outlet style business...

This does not help the 49ers regarding a move into the area, it actually exacerbates their problems.

As far as where Invertigo is going. It is very clear that the Cedar Fair property that needs it the most is Geauga Lake. If they hurry they can re-open the park with Invertigo and Big Dipper by Memorial Day.

I think the most fitting park for Invertigo's relocation would be KD. They have that crappy Shockwave monstrosity and there would be plenty of space to replace it.

As for Flight Deck (which we'll see further down the road), that's tough to say because the helix at the end of the ride grooves into the pond.

With all of the land they are clearing at Allentown Recycling/Dorney Park, I feel like it's going to slot in in the old Kiddieland/Laser area.

I'm just wondering, where did you get that information? I know the kiddie rides by Laser have been put up for sale, but I heard nothing about land clearing happening now.

I think the most fitting park for Invertigo's relocation would be KD. They have that crappy Shockwave monstrosity and there would be plenty of space to replace it.

As for Flight Deck (which we'll see further down the road), that's tough to say because the helix at the end of the ride grooves into the pond.

I hope I am not just thinking this but I remember reading here (I think in this thread) that stated Shockwave will not be taken down for the foreseeable future, as it's cheap to maintain (amongst other things, which I forget), and even has some of the old King Cobra trains*.

I wouldn't rule out KD yet, but if it goes in, I don't think it's to replace Shockwave.

*Seriously, if someone can find that post, that'd be great. I can't find it anywhere in the search function, and I swear I am not dreaming that post.

I've taken another look the parks in the Cedar Fair chain, and I'm predicting Invertigo will go to one of the following four parks.

1. Michigan's Adventure-This would be a great coaster here as the park doesn't have any type of shuttle coaster yet and the capacity matches the crowd levels. However, they did get an SLC a few years ago so I don't know if it will wind up here.

2. Valleyfair-This is the only other park in the Cedar Fair chain that has a low enough crowd level for the ride. However, they do have Steel Venom. Either way, this and Michigan's Adventure are the most likely choices.

3. Kings Dominion-If I remember correctly, at ECB it was stated that the park was planning to remove Shockwave in the near future. It may be just me, but I think Invertigo would be an excellent replacement if the park wants to do it cheaply.

4. Cedar Point-I doubt this will happen, but how quickly could the ride be relocated? I could possibly see Cedar Point installing it super quick just to keep SFMM from claiming the most coasters record completely.

Unlike what some other people have said, I really don't think the ride will go to Dorney Park because that park already has Possessed and it is a major park. If I had to place my money on it, I'd say Michigan's Adventure, but wouldn't rule out the other three yet.

As for CGA, this is definitely a sign, but whether it is positive or negative is impossible to determine yet. If the park does indeed replace the ride for 2012 or even 2013, it could be a sign that Cedar Fair is serious about the park and is finally ready to do something. If nothing materializes, however, I'd say that Cedar Fair has decided to let the park die. For now, the park seems like it just barely is able to survive, and I am pretty sure that the season Flight Deck vanishes will be the final season for the park.

Not to go off topic, but Kings Dominion has said various times that Shockwave won't be going anywhere soon, the ride is one of the most reliable and cheapest rides to run. The park also has the 2 old King Kobra trains from Kings Island. In addition last year they installed a brand new lift-motor. I still see Kings Dominion being a possibility, with the ride most likely being put in the old Hypersonic site.

Generic Name, would this be the post?

I've taken another look the parks in the Cedar Fair chain, and I'm predicting Invertigo will go to one of the following four parks.

1. Michigan's Adventure-This would be a great coaster here as the park doesn't have any type of shuttle coaster yet and the capacity matches the crowd levels. However, they did get an SLC a few years ago so I don't know if it will wind up here.

2. Valleyfair-This is the only other park in the Cedar Fair chain that has a low enough crowd level for the ride. However, they do have Steel Venom. Either way, this and Michigan's Adventure are the most likely choices.

3. Kings Dominion-If I remember correctly, at ECB it was stated that the park was planning to remove Shockwave in the near future. It may be just me, but I think Invertigo would be an excellent replacement if the park wants to do it cheaply.

4. Cedar Point-I doubt this will happen, but how quickly could the ride be relocated? I could possibly see Cedar Point installing it super quick just to keep SFMM from claiming the most coasters record completely.

Unlike what some other people have said, I really don't think the ride will go to Dorney Park because that park already has Possessed and it is a major park. If I had to place my money on it, I'd say Michigan's Adventure, but wouldn't rule out the other three yet.

As for CGA, this is definitely a sign, but whether it is positive or negative is impossible to determine yet. If the park does indeed replace the ride for 2012 or even 2013, it could be a sign that Cedar Fair is serious about the park and is finally ready to do something. If nothing materializes, however, I'd say that Cedar Fair has decided to let the park die. For now, the park seems like it just barely is able to survive, and I am pretty sure that the season Flight Deck vanishes will be the final season for the park.

Not to go off topic, but Kings Dominion has said various times that Shockwave won't be going anywhere soon, the ride is one of the most reliable and cheapest rides to run. The park also has the 2 old King Kobra trains from Kings Island. In addition last year they installed a brand new lift-motor. I still see Kings Dominion being a possibility, with the ride most likely being put in the old Hypersonic site.

Generic Name, would this be the post?

Yes, that'd be the post. Thanks! I knew I wasn't dreaming when I saw that.

Ok based on my research on Screamscape & rcdb this is what I found out:

-Valleyfair YES-plans to take out Mild Thing for a new coaster in 2012-hmm wild guess Invertigo?

-Michigan's Adventure YES but no mention of new coaster plans

-Dorney Park YES no mention of new coaster plans but expansion plans

-Kings Dominion YES but no mention of new coaster

My bet's on Valleyfair. I can so see them getting Invertigo since there is a mention already for a new coaster. That was easy to figure out!

ok here's my two cents.. Valleyfair is my home park, and as despertly we need a new coaster. Please don't send it to us.. This would totally rule out any possiblty for the B&M invert, which we need!! I mean think about it we already have steel venom. why would we need another shuttle/launch coaster??? MIA all ready has thunderhawk..so it would be a better choice to send it there. Now i know were getting planet snoppy this year which is costing them 10 mil and if they were to send us the vekoma that would mean we wouldn't get a coaster till like 14' or 15'. so PLEASE vF if you reading this.. send it to MIA and give us the B&M invert!!!!!!!!!

The plans of course are......

COMING IN 2011

Official Press Release-

Coming to California's Great America this Memorial Day Weekend. FENCE THE RIDE...... Fence the Ride will be very thrilling. Fence the Ride will include advertisements on which park to go to when we close down CGA. Fence the Ride will be located surround the former "Invertigo" area. "Invertgo" was located next to Grizzly and Demon. ENJOY THE FENCE!

This is interesting news, but I'm sure it will be sent to a park that needs it more. Hopefully a much better ride will replace it; I think it could use either a really good flat ride or a decent small coaster.

Of the parks it could be sent to, I agree with greatamerica1990sfan. Valleyfair seems like the most likely place for it to go since it's mentioned a new coaster already, unlike the other properties.

ok here's my two cents.. Valleyfair is my home park, and as despertly we need a new coaster. Please don't send it to us.. This would totally rule out any possiblty for the B&M invert, which we need!! I mean think about it we already have steel venom. why would we need another shuttle/launch coaster??? MIA all ready has thunderhawk..so it would be a better choice to send it there. Now i know were getting planet snoppy this year which is costing them 10 mil and if they were to send us the vekoma that would mean we wouldn't get a coaster till like 14' or 15'. so PLEASE vF if you reading this.. send it to MIA and give us the B&M invert!!!!!!!!!

This post is just an example, but for all those who say that Invertigo rules out Valleyfair's B&M Invert, how did it come from a park...with a B&M invert?

Hell, maybe Valleyfair will get Flight Deck too.