TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

So now that I've had time to think about things, I'm kind of getting a feeling that there could be light at the end of the tunnel. What kind of light, I'm not sure...but this is starting to make more sense to me now. The woodie had trouble with being done due to the noise and its location. So after a couple years (this is 100% speculation by the way) my guess is that they were thinking things over on what else they can do...so the next effort would be to relocate Invertigo and put a new (and probably more reliable) ride in this spot.

Especially this past season, Invertigo has had some sentimental value to me: had a crazy pouring rain ride on it (which was quite fun and crazy!), and it was my first ride where I was the only passenger on it during Haunt. While the crowds were up front, we dashed to the back, my cousin and I raided Invertigo, and then off to get in line for a maze. It was one of the only coasters that also caused me to se almost entirely grey at some moments depending on where I sat.

In the end, hopefully we will see something that will either equal it out, or be something 10x better.

1st generation Boomerang's are pretty reliable. Nighthawk had lift gear box issues middle of this past season so yea that thing seems like a nightmare in regards to maintenance and the extremely low capacity it has.

I've worked at two parks with relocated boomerangs, both were nothing I would describe as reliable. In fact, I wouldn't even have a remote consideration of calling them reliable. But Nighthawk takes unreliable to a whole 'nother level. The gear box is what kept it out for months, but there might have been a total of 5 or 6 days in the season before that in which it didn't experience any downtime. That ride just needs to be melted and sold off. But I digress.

I've operated a Boomerang for the past 5 years and it reliability is second to none compared to other attractions. Each attraction can have a personality of it's own. Vekoma Flying Dutchmans are not reliable in any sense of the word thus why Vekoma has only sold 3 of them. (I'm intentionally not counting the Stingray model)

I mean don't get me wrong maybe the relocation of a ride causes issues.

I think the 49'ers will finally be getting cup holders (candlestick park has no cup holders). Meaning I think CGA will die out and CGA will be turned into a part of the 49'ers new stadium, perhaps as a parking lot.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen but, jeez I won't be surprised.

Edited by Fire2box

Based on living out here and knowing (sort of) how Santa Clara politics are currently working, there is much more to this story than just the removal of another coaster. It's not entirely Cedar Fair's fault (though they still shoulder some of the blame).

@Montezooma (Shane) Could you have predicted this when we were in Germany? Holy crap!

Regardless of what anyone says I can see it going to Cedar Point along with another new coaster because its got a small footprint and would be easy to squeeze in the park and boost the coaster count with minimal investment

At this point CGA may as well just only open for Haunt it seems to be the only reason to go there anymore

Based on living out here and knowing (sort of) how Santa Clara politics are currently working, there is much more to this story than just the removal of another coaster. It's not entirely Cedar Fair's fault (though they still shoulder some of the blame).

So are you thinking that the city could have made it so that the only way they could get any form of new attraction would to be to remove an existing attraction, say that one that (the news) brought bad publicity? As much as things were kind of beginning to make sense, things are starting to seem a little fishy as well. Like others are saying, I don't think we are hearing the whole story...as they are only allowed to say so much. I just hope everything's on the up & up... and not going to pull off a Geauga Lake maneuver.

And if Flight Deck goes....then I really don't know what to say other than they may as well crucify the park.

^If they take out Flight Deck, I won't have any reason to go to CGA...

I'm hoping some thing good comes out of Invertigo leaving. It's hard to see another ride leave the park. It would be a lot easier if they were removing it in order to put another ride in it's place.

Wow. As much as I'm for removing bad Vekoma rides you can't help but feel sorry for this park.

Not to mention feel sorry for whatever CF Park this ends up at!

The Invertigos were the least painful of Vekoma masterpieces

That's not saying much though haha

I'm glad in a way that Invert-no-go is leaving.. I mean as much fun as it was to watch guests valley in between the verticle loop and the 2nd lift hill every night while working HAUNT....I still wish they would just get rid of Firefail first..that thing spins less than lindsay lohan in recovery... I have hope, at least we can use the extra space for a new Haunt maze or a temp stage if they decide to give us the Hanging this year.....I just hope that whatever they decide to replace it with is NOT going to be another flat ride

As far as extending that area inward a bit, it could happen, there's some room in between the fence and the service road back there, it can extend a little further where the lifts were some as well before it hits first aid,,

First Stealth... then Invertigo.

I'll be one to say that I've enjoyed CGA in the past, especially when the park was actually cared about by an operating company, but this i think should be a -stern- warning to the SCCC as well as to most us out there:

CF is sending them a clear message: Either back off of the demands on us, or we can pack up ALL our rides and disappear.

I think there is a very symbolic issue going on here, in that despite Invertigo's 'problems' over the past few years, it was a visible aspect of the park, not to mention one of the more recent installations. For me, I liked it- I've never had any problems with the Vekoma Invertigo class coasters- and in most cases, they're smooth, fast and fun. It was visuallly appealing, it fit a nice place in the park, and was popular by the guests...

If anything, this is Cedar Fair 'rattling the sabre' to get the SCCC's attention- and to make sure they're paying attention: "Remember, almost all of our rides here can be removed very quickly, and we'll be sure to leave this place a ghost town."

Now, the question is this: Who's going to bend first in this pissing match?

R.D.

^Sounds like a recent event on here...(in regards to pulling stuff because something didn't go the way they expected)

How compact can GCI's get? Realistically, I can't see that happening, but something along the lines like an Intamin style (Farenheit/Vertical lift) coaster could fit...would have to use part of that plot and some service road in order for things to work. A launched coaster would also be nice. Until then, we will have an empty plot of land for trash can overflow.

I hope we don't just see a flat ride either but something more major. Also as fun as they look, I'm kind of hoping that an El Loco wouldn't be put in....we already see enough bad capacity with Psycho Mouse.

That building is a cafe for the employees. I learned that on the backstage tour during Bay Area Bash last year!

correct, "4 cornerstone cafe" now.. thanks, now you're making me crave the wtflarge sized Jello they sell in there, mmm whipped cream goodness....

Hmmm.........Could VF be lucky enough to receive 2 (Flight Deck and Invertigo) "hand me downs" from CGA??

Noooooooooooooo! King's Island calls dibs on Flight Deck!

I think the logical move would be to put it at Valleyfair...but this is Cedar Fair so it I think we can eliminate the most logical option right?

I'm not yet ready to believe that this spells doom and gloom. First off, the company has been very open about this removal. Second, this ride has had troubles recently, so there could be some bad PR with the ride. The area where Invertigo sits is not that far off from the projected path of the GCI.

Once the park opens for the season, take a look at any new infrastructure improvements. If they keep spending money fixing up the park, there is a good chance they will keep it running.