TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

As much as CF may have maintained the cleanliness of the park, I say scrap it. I grew up with Great America as my "home" park, I maintained my season pass for 3 or 4 consecutive years(1990-1994), until I moved away. After re-visiting, just recently (2009 Halloween haunt), I couldn't tell much of a difference: A few missing rides/coasters, and a lame excuse for a water park (Raging Waters in San Jose has more to offer). Its landlocked, the neighbors suck, and the 49er's situation isn't going to allow anything to happen. Even now, after moving back to the area, and Great America being only 15 minutes away, I don't even bother. My point: after 17 years(SEVENTEEN!!), very little has changed, and very little probably will. Look at other amusement parks, (CF or non), in 17 years there is typically a DRASTIC amount of change. Instead of longing for what could be I say we all give up on this park. Even with another major coaster or ride, I feel it's too little to late. CF is following in Paramounts footsteps, and are obviously unwilling to do what it takes to keep this park fresh and new. Put all of our wants, dreams and desires to waster, pave this fu(!

^Ouch! *wonders if the Cedar Fair higher ups read these boards*

I do agree that it does feel like the park's being left to die off but I would hate to see it go. If the park could go back to how it was running in the 90's (with the trend of adding anything new every year) then that would be great for the park. I guess at this point, we're at a 'wait and see' until March and even then we will still never really know what is going on....which is quite frustrating.

I sure hope CF is reading all our complaints. They need to hear it!!! No new coaster next year don't you just love it. If we were getting a huge coaster we would have already heard about it this month. I am so frying mad. This is so unfair. I need to move next to SFMM or Disneyland ASAP. I can't stand living up here any longer by stinky ol CGA!!! The absolute worst home park ever. I get disgusted just even thinking about CGA & their lousy coasters.

If only we really knew what was going on behind the scenes and in the corporate offices...

I still plan on getting a season pass this year as I can't seem to get enough of Flight Deck, their signature coaster, plus Invertigo. I've been having a craving in riding Invertigo since the close of the season. When we got Firefall a couple seasons ago, how soon was it announced that the ride was making it's way to CGA? I honestly forgot. But at least we did see something in 2008. If it weren't for having Firefall, the last semi major addition (flat ride) would have been in 2006 with Survivor.

I sure hope CF is reading all our complaints. They need to hear it!!! No new coaster next year don't you just love it. If we were getting a huge coaster we would have already heard about it this month. I am so frying mad. This is so unfair. I need to move next to SFMM or Disneyland ASAP. I can't stand living up here any longer by stinky ol CGA!!! The absolute worst home park ever. I get disgusted just even thinking about CGA & their lousy coasters.

Say what you want, but CGA is not "the absoloute worst park ever". Invertigo, Flight Deck, and Demon are all fun rides. FireFall, Delirium, and Survivor are some great flat rides. Drop Tower is amazing. Also, SFDK is much closer to you than Disneyland, Knott's and Six Flags Magic Mountain and have some awesome rides. You should really check it out, it's fun. I can see what you mean, but I see at least one new addition before this park meets its demise. All I'm trying to say is, enjoy the park for what it is, I enjoy ir more than SFDK IMO and hope it stays there for at least a few more seasons.

So, I can anyone estimate what the fate of this park? I doubt that they're getting anything next year. So what's going to happen then? If you haven't added anything new for a long time, does the park slowly fade away? I've been reading alot of Columbia's comments, and he seems to know what he's talking about, so maybe he could answer this. What does this mean? How does the park stay afloat? What is Cedar Fair trying to do that is or isn't working? I'd just like to know if someone could comment on that.

I know I'm gonna get yelled at for posting this but we've had the same complaints about SFA for the better half of the last decade.

Unlike SFA however where it's a case of management not giving a darn in fovor of their bigger parks CGA has always had that problem with it's neighbors complaining about new rides....that's one reason why the 09 woodie never got built,it's a shame too because that could've been a nice ride that would've helped the park but at least they said something about adding new shows so I wouldn't say CGA's fate as the next GL is sealed just yet.

The only place that a new coaster could go is either were the planned woodie was supposed to go. If there was some way they could fill in the Flight Deck lake.(I know its a bad idea for some people) The only concern with this is how would the housing react to this, if it was fine with them do you think this would even work? To fit a coaster in that spot and maybe go in to the parking lot at little bit.

For anyone who has ridden both, which ones is the better of the Grizzly's? GA or KD. GA's seems so long and drawn out while KD's seems to me to be more compact, although that 1st turn around is rather slow. I find that after that all hell breaks loose and it is a pretty awesome ride, especially at night.

Definitely KD's,granted I havn't ridden CGA's but it can't be worse than either of the Hurler's.

I always thought an indoor coaster like Flight Of Fear would work well at CGA. It could go in thew spot of the old Pictorium. CGA is also the perfect park to introduce the Mega-lite design to the USA. I just don't think Cedar Fair is going to invest in this park until the stadium situation works itself out, as frustrating as that sounds. As long as there is a chance they could unload this park, why put anything but the minimum amount of money into it. I wonder how they will respond if SFDK adds a major ride next year?

The only place that a new coaster could go is either were the planned woodie was supposed to go. If there was some way they could fill in the Flight Deck lake.(I know its a bad idea for some people) The only concern with this is how would the housing react to this, if it was fine with them do you think this would even work? To fit a coaster in that spot and maybe go in to the parking lot at little bit.

So not true. If the park really wanted to put a coaster ANYWHERE they would find away to do it. Doesn't matter if it appears there is no room because there always is, if that means removing or relocating something if they want it that is what they will do. The easy way out is to put one around the star tower and by wwf, or just remove wwf and that opens up more space. If the pictorium went there would be even more.

In 2009, Vortex ran with two trains during daily operation, then went back down to one train for weekend operation. Last year, it was running one train all season. What is it with stand-ups only running one train for extended periods of time lately?!

^Probably bad capacity. Vortex isn't that bad with one train because it's a shorter ride (but fun nonetheless.) Riddler's Revenge on the other hand, now that's a problem. Riddler's second train is probably in rehab while the other train is in New Jersey for Green Lanturn. That leaves Roddler's Revenge with only one train. I hope that both will have 2 train operations this season.