TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Does a Johnny Rockets count as something new?

Maybe Jeff Johnson may count it as a credit

In all seriousness, though, I wouldn't be surprised if a restaurant rebranding would be classified as something 'new,' not that a restaurant is a major aspect of an amusement park. Can see it now..."New for 2011: Johnny Rockets!" Maybe 2011's addition may be some new benches.

It would be nice though to see an In-n-Out come to CGA...though I'd be afraid of the prices.

I loved this park when I visited it this summer, but it is in desperate need of a new coaster. Besides Flight Deck, I found the coasters in the park to be nothing more than mediocre. I now understand the cry for something new and exciting to go into this park. CGA certainly deserves it!

---Brent

^^There's an In-N-Out right off Mission College Blvd. in the Mercado center, which is right down the street. Right now, since it's obvious how difficult it is to bring in a new coaster, the park at least needs a NEW ride. Not a hand-me-down like the downtime plagued FireFall (although a used, working ride would be fine), or a downtime plagued prototype, such as Survivor. I think a Windseeker would be a great idea, even though SFDK is getting a SkyScreamer because CGA is fortunate enough to have a much higher heigh limit at 224ft, as opposed to SFDK's 150ft.

^ That's odd, over my many visits to the park through the years Stealth was there and the numerous times I rode it never once was it down. And sure, the line was always long as obviously it was the most popular ride ever in the park. Actually this is the first time I have ever come across somebody referring to it as a maintenance nightmare. Even if it did require a lot of maintenance you have to kind of expect that with a ptototype.

Psycho mouse seems to have a case of over blocking, all that is not necessary if they are only going to run a few mice.

True but the other two flyers weren't prototypes & yet SFI has had a crapload of maintenance issues with the two they installed(back when they ran GL) & as for the TA2K trust me you weren't missing anything as KD had a terrible time trying to maintain & run it so I'm glad it's now gone.

^^There's an In-N-Out right off Mission College Blvd. in the Mercado center, which is right down the street. Right now, since it's obvious how difficult it is to bring in a new coaster, the park at least needs a NEW ride. Not a hand-me-down like the downtime plagued FireFall (although a used, working ride would be fine), or a downtime plagued prototype, such as Survivor. I think a Windseeker would be a great idea, even though SFDK is getting a SkyScreamer because CGA is fortunate enough to have a much higher heigh limit at 224ft, as opposed to SFDK's 150ft.

I wasn't aware CGA had any hright limit. I do realize that there is an airport nearby but, I thought the height limit was higher.

Depending on where you are in the park, I believe it varies from 170 - 224 feet. However, the standard height "limit" is 50 feet, without approval or zoning "variance" request. (That goes for the entire City of Santa Clara, I believe.)

A parking lot coaster would actually be welcome, if there weren't a giant NFL stadium planned to occupy most of that space. Not to mention the construction space over the next few years!

Hmmm, anyone want to make a petition to Great America to build a new ride. Just to show that people actually care?

^ Here's hoping you're being sarcastic.

The park knows when attendance is down and they know the way to fix it, through major capital improvement year over year. It's not a matter of "hating a park or neighborhood," it's all a business decision.

When Cedar Fair bought the Paramount Parks in 2006, they were in debt, BIG DEBT. (To the tune of, "$1.7 billion for the chain." - Source: USA Today, Jan. 9, 2011) The best way to pay down debt? Not spend so much or start selling off assets.

In my own opinion, and not stating as a fact: The stadium is a great excuse for Cedar Fair to get out of the contract with the City of Santa Clara to operate CGA. They can use the cash from the "bloated" sale price to pay down some of the debt and dump an underachieving park all at the same time.

I am pretty sure that the park is well aware that it's customers are getting frustrated as nothing major has been added. So a petition is just a waste of time and interwebs. Comments get posted all the time on their Facebook page such as "When are you getting a new ride?" and "I'm going to Six Flags instead this year because you have nothing new..."

I am however curious what the park has (or doesn't have) planned for their 35th. So far, I can imagine an even more expanded Haunt, maybe a couple new shows and restaurants. It would be nice to even see a flat ride go in, just to keep things fresh. At this point, I'll be grateful for any kind of flat ride (that I can ride of course, not just a kiddie ride)

At this point, I'll be grateful for any kind of flat ride (that I can ride of course, not just a kiddie ride)

I know I keep saying this, but I'm still holding out hope that CGA will get Cedar Point's recently removed Chaos. Screamscape.com reported that they might possibly move it to another park in the winter. Would fit nicely in Triple Play's old spot, I think. But we should have heard something by now...

Although, I remember last year, it was reported that CGA would be getting Knott's Screamin' Swing (but we all know how that went), and that was fairly close to the beginning of the season (February?). Still a faint possibility of an announcement this season.

I'm expecting new shows at least, and hopefully they bring back a comedian/magician in the Showtime Theater (or anything but that awful Rock Band Live "concert," which I unfortunately attended).

I keep checking CGA's Facebook for their off-season photos, but they have yet to post any. I really want to see the ride rehabs (new Vortex paint job, please).

So, I can anyone estimate what the fate of this park? I doubt that they're getting anything next year. So what's going to happen then? If you haven't added anything new for a long time, does the park slowly fade away? I've been reading alot of Columbia's comments, and he seems to know what he's talking about, so maybe he could answer this. What does this mean? How does the park stay afloat? What is Cedar Fair trying to do that is or isn't working? I'd just like to know if someone could comment on that.

So, I can anyone estimate what the fate of this park? I doubt that they're getting anything next year. So what's going to happen then? If you haven't added anything new for a long time, does the park slowly fade away? I've been reading alot of Columbia's comments, and he seems to know what he's talking about, so maybe he could answer this. What does this mean? How does the park stay afloat? What is Cedar Fair trying to do that is or isn't working? I'd just like to know if someone could comment on that.

I actually had a great conversation with Shane of "Amusement Attic" fame about this a few months ago. We both have a personal connection to the park in Santa Clara.

We basically came to the conclusion (Shane correct me if I'm wrong) that the park will eventually succumb to either a stadium or other development within the next decade, possibly sooner.

In regards to your questions, I"ll try to analyze them separately:

"Will the park slowly fade away?"

I think it has been fading away for some time, since at least 2005. Because it's been so slow, we haven't noticed until now just how bad it's become. (Think Frog and Boiling Water metaphor)

"How does the park stay afloat?"

A program of significant capital improvement year over year for at least 5 to 7 years with a good multi-stage marketing campaign behind EACH one. (Similar to the campaign stared under KECO in the late 1980's.) I.E. "Every year we add something, ANYTHING." (Shows alone do not count, btw)

"What is Cedar Fair trying to do that is / isn't working?"

IMHO: Cedar Fair is trying to milk every penny out of the park and every guest through the turnstile without re-investing anything back into it. Clearly, it's not working, as opinions of the park (even on their own Facebook "fan" page) continue to plummet. This can be a debatable issue: The better question might be, "Is Cedar Fair really wanting to continue operating this park?"

Based on the capital added to other Cedar Fair parks recently, the prevailing attitude would seem to be, "CGA can languish. It's already too much work with the proposed stadium, let alone all the other work of having to add capital."

In any event, should the worst play out, hopefully the city and 49ers will recognize the significance of the front entrance to the park and keep my namesake for prosperity. Ultimately, that may be the only successful of the campaigns to save CGA. (Or at least some part of it.)

"What can Cedar Fair do?"

Show the fans of the park, local residents and annual visitors that you're not in it just to sell it off - even ONE major capital improvement (Like a $10 million+ coaster "caliber" attraction would quickly sway opinions of the park 180 degrees, I can almost guarantee it.)

Again, just my analysis of the situation, take it with what you will. The lynch pin to the entire situation is that damn stadium and the mystery surrounding it. No longer can you blame the economy, especially when regional theme parks saw a huge uptick in attendance these past few years. (While Disney lost)