TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

As the 2010 season is in its final hours, I figured I would pose this question that CGA posted on their Facebook: What is your highlight of the 2010 season? For me, it would have to be riding Invertigo in the front row when it reopened after it's LONG absence. It was also the first time I ever rode in the front, and I've been riding there mostly every time since.

I'm looking forward to next season! Here are my expectations just for the hell of it:

Realistic expectations:

-New movie in the Action Theater

-All six cars working on the Drop Tower

-New Haunt maze

-Invertigo operates at least 75% of the season

Not likely, but in the realm of possibility expectations:

-Another hand-me-down used flat ride: Cedar Point's currently-for-sale Chaos perhaps? http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1267

Not in this universe, but still fun to speculate expectations:

-The Stampede

-Pictorium reopens (actually no, I asked this question on CGA's Facebook, the response was "Not at this time")

-Vortex gets a complete overhaul, new name, color scheme, theming (fire cannons at the bottom of the first drop, etc), and runs smooth.

-The neighbors shut up

Well, that was kind of fun. I miss CGA already...March can't get here soon enough.

I was there for the last operating "day" and was hard to leave. 2010 was a great season aside from not seeing any new rides. My highlights of the season were the following:

-Solo ride on Invertigo last weekend (Whole ride to my cousin and I while the rest of the people were at the Overlord speech. We had early entry from Boofet).

-Rainy rides on Invertigo, Drop Tower, Logger's Revenge/Black Widow's Cavern, and Flight Deck

-3 Haunt visits, visiting the park every weekend this month

-Finally getting around to those former Manteca Waterslides (Had a fear of those enclosed tubes for a while)

-Being the first rider of the waterpark operating season on the green 'airtime' waterslide (Thunder Down Under?

-Last but definitely not least, Invertigo reopening after it's long wait. The reopening actually made Invertigo feel like a new ride. Invertigo ended my season today.

-More staff in Jack-a-roo landing. Some of those slides look fun though they're for the younger set)

Realistic wants/expectations:

-Some Vortex TLC, is getting very rough. I noticed the upper portions of the seats have some slop, probably contributing to the the headbanging. Demon's red car was down last season and when running this season was super smooth.

-A major overhaul on Demon's yellow train now that the red train's been running smooth. Maybe the orange one's being worked on as it's been missing all season.

-New movie in the theater as well. Spongebob seems so out of place now.

-Some kind of new ride even if it's a flat ride just to keep things fresh and to draw new crowds

-New Haunt maze added (no replacements)

-Fully functional Drop Tower as well

Unrealistic desires/fantasies:

Revival of the "Stampede" as well (GCI woodie)

Addition of a new coaster in general

Would be nice to see both chutes working on Logger's Run

Something to fill in Triple Play's spot other than a tree.

I wonder how Haunt is going tonight... Heard reports of some lines being over an hour long. I noticed more switchbacks were added today.

The park was completely dead during the day, mostly populated with the younger set. Most of the crowds were in Planet Snoopy...meaning that with the exception of the log ride, all of our rides were walk-on the entire day, could pick any row you wanted. We took the advantage and did some front row seats on Flight Deck, grabbed the end seats on Invertigo (which usually has a 3-4 cycle wait), walk right onto Psycho Mouse and Delirium at around 11:00 or so. We got there around 10:30, were there until 4:30. Total ride counts:

Flight Deck:3

Invertigo: 4

Drop Tower: 4

Demon: 2

Psycho Mouse: 1

Delirium: 1

Firefall: 1

Black Widow's Cavern/Logger's Run: 2

White Water Falls: 3

Grizzly: 2 (This ride was running strangely slow today, thought it was going to stall.)

Vortex: 1

Swings: 1

Carousel: 1

Sky Tower: 1

All in all, I think this was a great way to end my season. I think Haunt would have been way too crazy this weekend to even attempt.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

well even though I live 20 minutes from CGA I haven't been there in 16 years due to a fear of coasters. When I got over my fear at carowinds, with the help of my boyfriend, I decided to go back today. I rode every ride I hadn't 16 years ago which means everything but vortex and grizzly. Though I mean just the coasters not all the other rides. It made me very happy that I got to go on all the rides that I was so scared of for so long. So I guess my highlight was getting over my fear.

^^You were afraid to go on those Manteca waterslides??? I go on them all the time. I have been since they opened. But one of them gives you a wedgie. I don't mind they are fun. I went 3 times this season 7/11, 7/30, & 8/13. My highlights are Down Hill Thunder(love that little airtime you get going over the bump at the end), riding the family raft waterslide by myself(going on one of the curves of that slide made my raft almost flip over that was scary!), the Manteca slides, & Invertigo 3 times in a row on 8/13. I also learned that there are cheaper lockers for Boomerang Bay. Don't get them across from Boomerang bay they cost $15(you get $5 back) WHAT A RIP!!! Get them inside Boomerang Bay they are $10. I'm sure you still get $5 back. But I was really pissed off that ALL slides in Jackaroo Landing were closed except that one green one & that little orange short one all times I went. They need better operation with Jackaroo Landing. Otherwise Boomerang Bay is barely worth it cause it's like half of Boomerang Bay is closed. I suppose I'll go next year again on my birthday. Even though it's not the greatest park it's still a place to go & something to do on my birthday. Oh yeah I also liked the National Anthum song at opening that is nice. Oh & I think you do get a little airtime too on Logger's Run going over the bump on the hill. I guess CGA is ok-it's better than nothing. OH & I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER go on Vortex AGAIN! It is just as bad as Kong at SFDK!

^^You were afraid to go on those Manteca waterslides??? I go on them all the time. I have been since they opened. But one of them gives you a wedgie.

It wasn't really being afraid of what the slide did...it was more of being stuffed in a narrow tube. They look so much thinner from the sidelines than when you're really going down them. This stems from some of the enclosed body slides at Waterworld Concord. There's 2 tubed slides and 2 open ones. My biggest fear was not making it down the tubed ones, being stuck in total darkness and having water gushing at my face. I know I wouldn't get stuck on the CGA ones as they are much steeper but the idea of a narrow tube to squeeze through. That, and the past times doing Boomerang Bay, I never did bring 'proper' shorts for that slide. I finally bought some lightweight basketball shorts and lightweight jersey (don't feel like running around shirtless at the park and showing off my gut that was forming).

My get-around with the locking storage compartments (avoiding the l o c k e r filter) was to purchase one of those waterproof bags I can stick my cell phone in. The bag can be submerged up to 10 feet and this allows me to keep my money, pass, and phone on hand at all times while in the water park.

Random picture: Something that appears to be a Cedar Fair Trash Can convention (This is one of the many extended queues for Haunt).

CFTrashcanMtg.jpg.b6e46e9bcfca7eb444292e06afff0909.jpg

I'm looking forward to next season! Here are my expectations just for the hell of it:

Realistic expectations:

-New movie in the Action Theater

-All six cars working on the Drop Tower

-New Haunt maze

-Invertigo operates at least 75% of the season

Not likely, but in the realm of possibility expectations:

-Another hand-me-down used flat ride: Cedar Point's currently-for-sale Chaos perhaps? http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1267

Not in this universe, but still fun to speculate expectations:

-The Stampede

-Pictorium reopens (actually no, I asked this question on CGA's Facebook, the response was "Not at this time")

-Vortex gets a complete overhaul, new name, color scheme, theming (fire cannons at the bottom of the first drop, etc), and runs smooth.

-The neighbors shut up

Well, that was kind of fun. I miss CGA already...March can't get here soon enough.

Realistic:

1.) Be nice, rather than let it sit there.

2.) It's been a rare day I've seen all 6 operating, but could potentially happen at the start of the season

3.) I thought Invertigo's were reliable?!?

4.) Always thought Knott's was out of space for new mazes, yet they keep finding space every year, so if this year went well up here, it's certainly a possibility.

Not Likely:

1.) A bit late to be making an announcement - you may have to start thinking about which ride(s) you're ready to retire for a new (to them) flat.

Not in the Universe:

1.) "Stampede Project" CANCELED! End of story!

2.) Pictorium's projectors - taken out YEARS AGO!

3.) Vortex getting a makeover...ever rode Iron Wolf at SFGAm? Get used to it!

Can anyone get me a youtube theme song of the cornstalker maze. The song is also in the background of "the first weekend" on CAGreatAmericaTV on youtube. The song is pretty catchy. Whoever did the theme song for the toy factor, can you do it for the cornstalker too plz? lol

Does anyone know when CGA's opening day is for 2011, I'm planning on going to San Francisco over my spring break which is the week of March 27th and I was wondering when the park usually opens and stuff like that, I think I remember last year that weekend was when they opened but it was on Sunday? Do they usually open on a Sunday?

Park's 35th...I wonder if anything will be coming in as it's a semi milestone anniversary. If they were to get a coaster or even a flat ride, wouldn't we have heard about it by now?

I'm still holding out hope. Cedar Fair's Michigan's Adventure is about to make an announcement in a couple days, and Worlds of Fun, another Cedar Fair park, just announced that they're getting Geauga Lake's carousel. I suppose it's still not too late for our Cedar Fair park to make an announcement.

So how DOES Toy Factory actually end? People always say/said it was crazy and super unexpected, it has me really intrigued.

Now that Haunt is over I'll say. However there are those who haven't made it out to CGA's Haunt and I don't want to spoil it, so just highlight starting here: ---> The ending consists of a packaging area where you must navigate through an inflatable hallway. The 2 walls squish you inward as you travel through 20 or so feet through black squishy goodness. I describe this as "Butt Cheeks," "Giving Birth," or as someone else said, "The Birthing Canal." This is something I did not think would be allowed in the US, let alone CA with it's high safety standards.Honestly, on my first visit, I thought I reached a dead end or maybe walked into the wrong area by accident. The attendant directed me to the black squishy butt cheeks. From there it was blackness, and Toy Factory's theme being blasted through your body...and horrific body odor when crowded.Spoiler>

^^This is a feature that is commonly used in haunts around the country. It's one drawback is it can cause a capacity issue. For instance, they used this on a house for HHN Orlando a couple of years ago and eventually had to stop using it because it caused huge backups and massive wait times.

It is pretty intimidating especially when it is pitch dark and that claustrophobic feeling kicks in.