TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Last night was so much fun! I was going to post last night, but I was too tired to do so haha. There was a very small crowd there. Pretty much half to more than half of the people were from my school there. Longest line I had to wait in was 3 minutes for Toy Factory. All the rest of the rides/mazes were pretty much walk-ons.

Halloween Haunt is so well done, and an improvement from last year. My favorite maze definitely has to be Toy Factory. CarnEvil was a lot of fun as well (the 3D glasses are totally worth the extra dollar). Werewolf Canyon, Club Blood, and Cornstalkers were also good. The only maze I didn't care for was Slaughterhouse. I don't know why, but I thought that one was kinda boring. Also, I like how Werewolf Canyon re-uses the Camp Gonnagetcha sign from last year's log ride theme. This year's log ride (Black Widow's Cavern) was a big improvement from last year. I love the fact that you are flying through these "caverns". I didn't get to see any shows since I was having too much fun on rides and mazes.

Here is the maze/ride count last night:

Flight Deck: 3x (in a row w/o getting off)

Drop Tower: 1x

Psycho Mouse: 1x

Grizzly: 1x

Invertigo: 1x

Ghost Flyers (I think that's what they are called in October): 1x (the operators were lonely so I had to give them something to do)

Celebration Swings: 1x

Black Widow's Cavern: 3x

Club Blood: 2x

Cornstalkers: 2x

CarnEvil: 1x

Slaughterhouse: 1x

Werewolf Canyon: 2x

Toy Factory: 2x

^^

The park was pretty dead last night. Invertigo didn't have any riders until about a half hour in, and this was after Sunfire and myself took turns riding and screaming to attract people to the ride. As for Saturday, we were going as fast as possible trying to keep the line moving. The last time I saw the line that long was before the 09 breakdown (I was at Cedar Point the weekend Invertigo reopened).

I'm looking at Haunt again next weekend once again as my last Haunt for the season. Unfortunately, I can't do Sundays which seem like the better days to go. I get a ride out there (car's dead right now) and my transportation works early on mondays...so yea, that's lame. So with this said, I'll be prepared to brace myself for crowds and plan accordingly. While it is nice to not have the crowds in your way, it does add to the park's atmosphere. More people getting chased, fun stuff to watch while waiting in line! It does however look like rain in the forecast this weekend so maybe that will hold the crowds back.

A tip for you guys who do happen to go on a Saturday, it is recommended to rush to the back first. There are 3 things you can do immediately: Toy Factory, Corn Stalkers (Do TF first so it has a chance to get darker for Cornstalkers), and then Black Widow's Cavern. Typically by then, the initial crowd have dispersed enough for you to hit up the front mazes. Not always the case though, last weekend, it was a continuous flow of people coming into the park.

Another tip if you don't mind shelling out $14 for some food (all you can eat!) you can also beat the crowds by being far enough in the park before the regular visiters all crammed at the gate.

On a side note, I wish that CGA would release or even sell a Haunt sound track, consisting of the music played from each of the maze entrances and the Overlord's music. They've done a great job with the audio this year! I want the CarnEvil song now!

I think the only reason CGA is not getting coasters is due to two things, 1. airport nearby and 2. the whole damn football thing....i asked my dad about the football thing and he said its all politics now even though the stadium got cleared to build. It is really all turf war. with the raiders thinking that people won't go to them because of the stadium being there. I think it's stupid is why would 49ners fans go see the raiders in general right? Though I think that it could help the park with business

1.) The airport has nothing to do with denying the park of a new coaster. FAA regulations require the current glide slope (aka where buildings lie along the flight path and into the flight path in terms of elevation and altitude) to stay where it's at, so height limits need to be strictly followed - but that does not restrict any attraction being built (just keep it below the limit of that area, that's all) Remember the maximum height variance is 224 feet, total height.

A good way to look at it - think of the the runway from the side...draw the buildings lying directly under it and you'll see them taper as they get closer to the runways' ends. Ideally, it should look like a very broad "U" or smile.

2.) If the 49ers continue their DISMAL season(s), don't expect to see a stadium built by 2014, or at all for that matter. The NFL continues to suggest that the 49ers and Raiders share a new stadium, akin to the Jets and Giants in NJ. This is starting a uproar of sorts to those who originally supported the stadium. No one, and I mean NO ONE wants Raider fans in their neighborhood. (Emphasis on 'hood.)

This is the true reason for the park getting the "shaft" from the corporate office. Would you invest several million dollars in a new attraction for a property that may not be there in 5-7 years? Face it folks, CGA has become the Astroworld of the Cedar Fair parks - and at least Astroworld got rides (albeit used).

2.) If the 49ers continue their DISMAL season(s), don't expect to see a stadium built by 2014, or at all for that matter. The NFL continues to suggest that the 49ers and Raiders share a new stadium, akin to the Jets and Giants in NJ. This is starting a uproar of sorts to those who originally supported the stadium. No one, and I mean NO ONE wants Raider fans in their neighborhood. (Emphasis on 'hood.)

Yes, those Raider fans are an interesting crowd of people. Perhaps the 49ers can get some more rowdy fans like the Raiders, just so the neighbors of Santa Clara can be against it. I'm kind of starting to think that this proposed stadium may turn out to be like CGA's proposed (and vaporized) woodie.

This is the true reason for the park getting the "shaft" from the corporate office. Would you invest several million dollars in a new attraction for a property that may not be there in 5-7 years? Face it folks, CGA has become the Astroworld of the Cedar Fair parks - and at least Astroworld got rides (albeit used).

Well one thing on the news tonight was that the stadium will not be built for at least a year due to a issue between the nfl and player salary unions

CGA has become the Astroworld of the Cedar Fair parks - and at least Astroworld got rides (albeit used).

What about Michigan Adventure? They seem to have the same issue.

Michigan's Adventure got a roller coaster a couple years ago. Granted, it was an SLC, but still... I think they were comparing CGA's uncertain future with SFAW's uncertain future that led to its closing. I'm pretty sure MiA has no intentions or possibility of closing in the near future.

CGA has become the Astroworld of the Cedar Fair parks - and at least Astroworld got rides (albeit used).

Michigan's Adventure got a roller coaster a couple years ago. Granted, it was an SLC, but still... I think they were comparing CGA's uncertain future with SFAW's uncertain future that led to its closing. I'm pretty sure MiA has no intentions or possibility of closing in the near future.

I read on wikipedia that one of the main reasons for the closing of astroworld was because of the houston texas football stadium that was right there. If that stadium is built by CGA then maybe it will have the same fate but then maybe CF will try and help it out.

One reason it might be doing so well for the haunt is because of the constant radio ads. Theres one every other commerical.

Last night at Haunt, the park was decently crowded. I was working at Survivor, and the line was about 30 minutes. At Toy Factory, they decided to add more rope switchbacks since the line got so long last week, but I didn't see the line pass the entrance. At Cornstalkers, the line was all the way out to the entrance and occasionally a few feet out. Tonight we can expect really large crowds if the rain stays away.

I visited the Haunt last night, and like Sunfire said, it was pretty crowded. A huge contrast from my previous visit on opening night.

Upon arriving, we headed towards CarnEvil first, only to find that the line was packed. The entire queue was full, and extended almost to the clothing shop (although it did clear up later, to the point where it was a two minute wait). So we decided to hit the back of the park first, and a good thing too. Black Widow’s Cavern, Cornstalkers, and Toy Factory were all walk-ons, but that certainly wasn’t the case about an hour later.

Maze thoughts:

Club Blood (twice): Line stretched out to the entrance, but moved fairly quick. Unfortunately, they were letting six people go at a time, and the people in front of us got most of the scares. We then caught up to the other group of six, and that created a sort of traffic jam. But, I took that opportunity to look up at the Imax screen, which never ceases to amaze me (I believe it stretches out over the entire ceiling? I could be wrong, but it sure looks like it. I’ve only seen an operating Imax screen once). The maze itself is well-themed, there is a lot to look at. But it’s a little on the short side.

Slaughterhouse (once): This maze seems to me to be the weakest, as much as I’d hate to say it. Again, we had a traffic jam, but unlike all the other mazes, there just isn’t that much to look at. It’s mostly black walls. On the plus side, the “Old Macdonald” scene at the end provides a much needed contrast.

Toy Factory (once): A walk-on. Still my favorite maze, and this time there seemed to be more monsters, possibly because it was earlier in the night. Song is still as catchy as ever. The ending did seem to have slightly less force than I remember, though.

Cornstalkers (once): Lots of opportunities for the monsters to jump out at you, and they sure took advantage of it. Excellent camouflage by some of the actors, I jumped more than once. Also, I gotta say that the truck is brilliant, one of the best props out of all the mazes in my opinion.

Black Widow’s Cavern (once): I noticed that there were more props (i.e. spider webs of course) added to the station since my last visit. The actors leaned way over the water, at times it seemed that they would be run over.

Werewolf Canyon (once): I enjoyed this maze more than last time. Lot of scare moments here, and the fact that it was a full moon out added authenticity to the maze. Trivia note: The blues song that plays in the entrance is Skip James’ “Killin’ Floor.”

CarnEvil (twice): The 3D glasses really do make a difference, although the maze is still excellent without them. I really like the song too, it’s a close second to Toy Factory’s theme. Clowns everywhere, and I noticed the Joker!

Ride totals:

Invertigo, Demon, Grizzly, Drop Tower, Endeavor, Orbit, and FireFall: All one time each.

All in all, it was definitely a fun night, but I felt that opening night was better, because there were no lines whatsoever.

Random shot of a monster in CarnEvil’s line:

I was also there last night, got out to the park around 3:00 for some rainy coaster action. Yes, CGA had most of the rides operating in the steady rain, Invertigo was crazy! The rain let up for most of Haunt but had the occasional passing cloud. I noticed the switchbacks too and that helped cut the lines spilling into the midways down. Naturally, we head to the back of the park first to get Toy Factory, Cornstalkers, and Black Widow's taken care of as no one is at the back of the park for a little while. We even snagged a ride on Invertigo as my cousin and I were the only riders on it (Hi Matt/Sunfire!) Rain did not seem to stop the crowds from visiting last night, not even fending them off of the Log Ride. All in all, was a great day, my feet got pretty wet due to occasional 3-inch-deep puddles...hard to avoid in the dark. And stupid line jumpers, a group of 5 decided to cut out to grab some beer, and return in line. Several of us ranted about it telling him that the line starts back there...but did no good. About lines, props to the sign holders holding up the "End of Line" signs making it much easier. And top it off, I met the park's entertainment director Patrick as he's seen my photos posted on here and Facebook. He recognized me almost immediately.

Here's the rundown:

CarnEvil: 2x - Popular maze last night. Very talented actors, a must with 3d glasses.

Toy Factory: 4x (3 which were near walk-ons, 4th was probably a 20 min. wait) - Love the maze one again, got dubbed "Loyal fans" by the attendant running the entrance as he recognized us from last weekend doing multiple visits and again doing multiple visits last night. Some good scares. The strobe room really messes with my ability to walk straight...let alone one of those creepy dolls following me. I love the interaction here with the actors and guests. Another popular maze. However some of the props got some damage such as the giant Etch-a-sketch...it's missing some knobs now.

Black Widow's: 2x (Walkon, then 15 min. wait) - A couple jumps here, especially the train horn after the foggy strobe light tunnel. I like how there's some close calls with the actors reaching out, and the 'webby' feeling from the tunnels.

Werewolf Canyon: 2x (10 minute wait both times) - Just now realized some of the recycled Camp Gonnagetcha props and kudos to the flipped over car playing the music from Camp Gonnagetcha...felt kinda creepy hearing happy kids singing, damaged vehicle and screams from the "back trail." Really fit the mood/theme.

Club Blood: 1x (both 25 min. waits)- Shortest maze, the actors didn't seem as 'punchy' this time. And those babies at the end...still creep me out!

Cornstakers: 1x (Walk on, lines got long after, spilling some into the midway) - This one probably made me jump the most and is best to do with no people around for everything to work properly. Kudos to the outhouses and the diarrhea noises...and the actors coming out after 'taking a dump.' Sounded realistic, lol.

Slaughterhouse looked busy so we passed. Line extended to the Panda Express, we could have waited it but really wanted to hit up Toy Factory again.

Rides I did during the 2 hours prior:

Invertigo: 1x (Epic pouring rain session = win!)

Flight Deck: 2x (Watch for this one, the ride will get you wet...water spilled from the wheel covers right onto my lap, saw my first Transfer Track credit)

Drop Tower: 1x (Floating/flying upward raindrops anyone?)

Delirium: 1x (Walk-on finally)

Logger's Run: 1x (Extra water effects!)

During Haunt:

Invertigo (Once, walkon, no other riders)

Drop Tower: 1x

Black Widow's Cavern (Since this counts as both a haunted attraction and ride): 2x

Ghost Gliders/Flying Eagles/Flying Scooters: 1x (Walk-on, breezy night enhanced the ride to me. I some how got my bucket to be facing completely backwards for a few seconds, totally surprised me.)

Survivor valleyed during the day so that was down for the evening. Psycho Mouse was also down due to capacity issues if it were taken down to 1 train I'm guessing.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

SFAW had a future but SFI preferred to play the "let's give rides to MM,GRADV & GRAM" card instead of investing there.I don't foresee CGA closing anytime soon,it's just that CF's hands are tied when it comes to new rides & if it weren't for the neighbors complaining they probably would've,and should've gotten that woodie last year.

^Honestly, I think CGA is showing some improvement attendance-wise since 2007 since I began my season visits. I honestly think Haunt is really helping the park out too, there has been a butt-load of Haunt advertising over the radio, TV, and where ever. And I forgot where I read it but there was a report last month or so in regards to Cedar Fair and it's performance. It was noted that their western parks (Knotts and CGA) has shown quite some improvement attendance-wise.

And....

Toy Factory (once): A walk-on. Still my favorite maze, and this time there seemed to be more monsters, possibly because it was earlier in the night. Song is still as catchy as ever. The ending did seem to have slightly less force than I remember, though.

The first time I went through, it was quite forceful and hard to maneuver. It was only my cousin and I climbing into it. However as the crowds were going through, it felt a little more...saggy. I find it more enjoyable and crazy if only 2 or 3 people are navigating through rather than 10 people as shoving, stopping and horrific body odor begins.

Here we go, something to support my previous post for you to read:

Amusement park operator Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. reaffirmed its guidance Wednesday and said revenue has risen 4 percent at the company's parks as attendance rose 5 percent so far this year.

The company owns 18 amusement and water parks including the famous Cedar Point and Knott's Berry Farm parks along with five hotels.

The company said in a news release its revenue reached $824 million through Sunday and attendance reached 18.7 million.

Although more people came, they each spent slightly less. Average spending per guest fell 48 cents to $39.28. The company said that was due to higher sales of season passes because people who use the passes typically don't spend as much during each visit as other patrons do.

CEO Dick Kinzel said the company hopes the momentum will continue into the Halloween season.

Attendance rose 13 percent at parks in the South, more than 10 percent in the West and about 1 percent in the northern region.

The company continues to expect full-year revenue between $940 million and $965 million and adjusted earnings per share before taxes, excluding one-time costs, between $320 million and $340 million.

So northern parks...what would that be? I'm assuming the "10% in the west" consists of Knotts and CGA? What exactly are the northern parks or would that be CGA and Gilroy Gardens? Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Valley Fair, and Michigan's adventure sit further north than the 2 bay area parks, hence my thoughts of CGA improving attendance-wise. Plus, I've noticed changes since 2007/08, the transitional years.

Back to Haunt:

Something I threw together, I thought I'd share with you guys, especially if you missed Black Widow's Cavern. Filmed last night on my smaller digital camera so don't expect something HD or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucZjCKncsU

This gives you an idea of what it's like, theming and all. You still should check it out while you can...only 1 weekend left to do so!

^Well, being as the song was produced in house via CGA's audio tech, you won't really find it anywhere. Next best thing is to probably record it like what I did with the Toy Factory theme. See my YouTube or go back a page or two on here for the Toy Factory theme. Random note, I'm listening to it right now as I wait for my next class. Just too catchy! I even heard some of the Invertigo crew whistling to it 10/23. Sunfire, was that you??

I did record the CarnEvil theme but didn't come out the best. Plus the overlord theme began playing mixing both tracks together. I will probably post it in a few days.

The first time I went through, it was quite forceful and hard to maneuver. It was only my cousin and I climbing into it. However as the crowds were going through, it felt a little more...saggy. I find it more enjoyable and crazy if only 2 or 3 people are navigating through rather than 10 people as shoving, stopping and horrific body odor begins.

Ah, that explains why. There was another group that caught up behind us, and we all went in at the same time. Seems like it loses it's force with more people. Still fun though, if unbearably hot and stuffy.

CGA's last operating day this weekend...anyone going? I'm afraid my Haunting is done for this season but am doing a normal full-day visit for day time operation this Sunday to get my last bit of coastering in for the next 5 months.

And as a random note, it seems like all of the monster characters from Haunt are pretty excited over the photos I've shot over through the month as I posted up a massive Haunt album over on Facebook. My mailbox was full of tag requests from fellow monsters. Pretty exciting if you ask me.