TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

That would be an awesome coaster. Though the park aready has 2 B&Ms, a 3rd wouldn't hurt. If noise is an issue, fill the track with sand if it hasn't already. I could see it now, running in that narrow strip where Tidal Wave once stood. Well, maybe for the first portion of the ride as it's a straight shot.

If that didn't work, a nice launched coaster (something CGA can really use) either a Premier or Intamin design (whichever's the most affordable/least amount of downtime) could work in that alleyway/service road area. Cedar Fair, I hope you're seeing this thread! Anyway, I was just messing around and thought of something that could work. A little satellite photo and Illustrator pen tool brings you guys a random doodle of a launched coaster in that spot. Or something like Maverick would be perfect, I'd be happy for a few years

cgarocket.jpg.425dce49813d7efd370ab040a6ba130a.jpg

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Sound would not be an issue if, as you say, they filled it with sand. When was the last time you heard any noise from Medusa other than the wind as it whooshes by, I can't believe how quiet it is. That's the answer, a B&M or possibly Intamin filled with sand built right next to the bitchy neighbors, then they can't say s#$t about it!

You don't know CGA's neighbors very well, do you?!?

These are the same people who complain about parties held on the other side of the park! (And the fireworks, and the crowds and the coasters...)

Oh, and the neighborhood was built AFTER the park was built. Just another example of California "NIMBY-ism."

In terms of new additions - especially in that narrow sliver of land where Tidal Wave still partially stands, I always thought under the Paramount-era that a major opportunity was missed not installing a launched coaster themed to Star Trek and incorporating "warp speed." You can almost hear Picard's theme and imagine yourself launching on an Intamin cable...ahh!

^^ Yeah I'm surprised you don't hear them complaining that the sound of water rushing down the drop on WWF is too loud!

I would love to see a Superman: the escape built right next to them just because of how loud the launch it, that would be awesome!

Getting rid of the storage facility called "The Pictorium" would free up some nice space, oh wait, bitchy neighbors again.

If they complain about stuff going on on the other side of the park what's going to happen on game day...or is that far enough away for them? And will they complain when the stadium has fireworks too?

Based on the recurring problems with sound complaints from neighbors, I don't think it would be wise for CGA to do anything with any of the existing coasters along the edge of the park. It might be a little easier to get approval for a replacement for an existing coaster, but it would still have to go through the same approval process and be subject to the same complaints. Anything that is currently standing is grandfathered in with regards to any noise requirements/complaints that any of the neighbors may have.

And as a possible reason CGA is not getting a Windseeker clone this year... If it was installed at CGA, I don't think it could be an actual "clone" due to the height restrictions placed on the park by the nearby airport. I know there are places in CGA that have higher limits (the right side of the park from Drop Tower to the Sky Cabin), but I think the 300+ft of the Windseeker design may be too tall.

Too bad Cedar Fair can't just buy out those offices next door to them...then the problems of bad neighbors would be solved...and room for expansion. Again, another fantasy

To be realistic, can these neighbors be so nit-picky to the point that CGA can not even receive any kind of ride? Is there something CGA can do about these picky neighbors as it would be interfering with the park's improvements/operations? As far as pickiness goes and noise and whatnot, aren't these offices closed on the weekends? And what...they've only got 3 months of noise, the rest of the year they can have their 'quietness' of airplanes constantly flying over head, the noise from Hwy 101 and traffic in general.

Too bad Cedar Fair can't just buy out those offices next door to them...then the problems of bad neighbors would be solved...and room for expansion. Again, another fantasy

To be realistic, can these neighbors be so nit-picky to the point that CGA can not even receive any kind of ride? Is there something CGA can do about these picky neighbors as it would be interfering with the park's improvements/operations? As far as pickiness goes and noise and whatnot, aren't these offices closed on the weekends? And what...they've only got 3 months of noise, the rest of the year they can have their 'quietness' of airplanes constantly flying over head, the noise from Hwy 101 and traffic in general.

But...that's THREE WHOLE MONTHS!

Unfortunately, the park does not own the land it sits on. It's all property of the City of Santa Clara - including those office buildings. (You'll recall that used to be additional parking spots). The park pays a significant "rent" to the City, which reaps not only that, but also the additional tax revenue generated by the park.

In terms of the bad neighbors and game days - nearly all of them opposed the Stadium deal. However, the majority of Santa Clara's population lies on the other side (South) of US 101.

Oh, and they b*tch about the aircraft departures and arrivals too - hence SJC's self imposed curfew (2330-0630). Basically, if they could complain about it - they probably already have.

I wonder how the neighbors are on the eastern side of the park as they have a nice view of Flight Deck out their back door (the residential area across that creek). Would CGA have an easier chance a building something on that side as opposed to the Demon's/Grizzly's side? It's really too bad that the city won't override what those pesky neighbors are crying over. I know I can't repeat this enough times: The park was there before them, they move in knowing the noise potential and will complain...I guess that's America for you!

I'm sure the neighbors have complained about the noise that the Star Tower makes (or lack thereof).

The two loudest sounds in the park have to be the Demon's lift hill, and FireFall's brakes (which have become noticeably louder recently). I can hear them no matter where I'm standing. I bet the neighbors love it.

I totally agree!

I wonder how the neighbors are on the eastern side of the park as they have a nice view of Flight Deck out their back door (the residential area across that creek). Would CGA have an easier chance a building something on that side as opposed to the Demon's/Grizzly's side? It's really too bad that the city won't override what those pesky neighbors are crying over. I know I can't repeat this enough times: The park was there before them, they move in knowing the noise potential and will complain...I guess that's America for you!

This park is just surrounded by enemies - no other way to describe it.

I also think that a ride similar to Superman: The escape that circles the entire park should be installed. Then there would really be something to complain about. Those who have stood under S:TE when it launches would know...that sucker sounds like a fighter jet. Or those neighbors can try having the same rehab facility in their 'hood that we have in ours...I'd much rather have a coaster roaring during the day and night than have a bunch of drug addict zombies roaming the streets, yelling nonsense, fighting, etc.

And those offices: I bet you those buildings are well insulated, double-paned glass windows, plus if their AC's running that is sure to drown out the sound of distant screaming and coastering. But unfortunately, people these days will find just about anything they can complain about, just to be a jerk or to get something out of it (like money). Too bad Santa Clara won't step into this and allow such changes for the park if they have the final say so.

Those buildings are required to have insulated glass so then, what noise? There would be about as much noise as my new dishwasher, which is so quiet you can easily have a conversation in the same room so it's just them looking for something to complain about. Maybe the park should start complaining about how ugly those buildings are and how they ruin the park skyline or how their idiotic complaints are interfering with park operations....morons.

Shame on Santa Clara for not doing something about it.

CF should kick those pesky office neighbours off their property & tell them to shutup & stop complaining & if they don't like it there to move their asses somewhere else. That will open up space for at least 10 giant coasters. I can see a Superman right in front of their ugly buildings they won't even hear the launch through their sound proof walls. CGA is ignored once again. I know why CGA didn't get a Windseeker just because it would line up w/those office buildings & oh the noise. That's it. I guess CGA will never see another coaster again between the pesky neighbours & the stadium. It's hopeless. That's why I'm moving by the end of next year next door to SFMM.

^It's not because of the neighbors. CGA would not be able to get a Windseeker primarily because of its height. The 4 clones being built are all about 300 feet tall. Because of the proximity to the San Jose Airport, Great America has difficulty building anything over 200 feet, let alone something as tall as a Windseeker. It'd be a great addition to the park, but there's nowhere it can reasonably go without raising problems concerning height.

^It's not because of the neighbors. CGA would not be able to get a Windseeker primarily because of its height. The 4 clones being built are all about 300 feet tall. Because of the proximity to the San Jose Airport, Great America has difficulty building anything over 200 feet, let alone something as tall as a Windseeker. It'd be a great addition to the park, but there's nowhere it can reasonably go without raising problems concerning height.

People have been mentioning this and it's driving me nuts..

They could have easily gotten a SMALLER version of Windseeker (200ft)

^Now that sounds real positive! Perhaps deconstructing the dirt for the footers to go in?

No, seriously, I really wish this 49ers thing would blow over as this seems to be putting the park into a 'sleep mode' as any investments go. What are we waiting on with the whole stadium thing now since it's been 2 months since the people of Santa Clara voted yes on the stadium? You think the locals/surrounding neighbors could come to our (CGA fans) advantage as far as opposition/NIMBY-ness goes, or you think they may have said 'yes' to having a stadium?