TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Gforce, weekends in September actually can be busy depending on which day you visit. Be sure to check the parks event calendar to see if anything is going on during your scheduled visit. At this time there is nothing really large scale on September 11th.

Haunt details are coming soon. We are all already working hard on Haunt 2010!

Listening to it more, that squeaking does sound pretty intense...like something's rubbing or dragging. Why only on that part of the coaster going backwards is beyond me...unless the bearings/wheels are shot, only rolling smoothly 1 direction.

I agree. This is not the normal squeaking, clicking, clanking noise it makes, I'm still thinking it sounds like its hitting something. But its gone now? So it got fixed or just magically went away. I hope it got fixed because then at least they knew what it was rather than it just dissappearing and not knowing what the cause was which obviously would be a concern. I'm curious to know what it was in the first place. I've ridden that thing many many times over the years and heard all kinds of strange "normal" noises it makes, even rode it with a flat sided wheel, you can imagine what that was like, thump thump thump thump thump, but never have I heard anything like this.

Kind of sounds like a loose metal cover clanking around. Its fixed now so good.

I was at CGA that same day it was testing with water dummies and honestly, minus the typical hums and thuds from the lift, Invertigo was pretty quiet navigating the course. I was watching one of it's cycles when it started it's way up the first lift from returning in the station, then it stopped on the lift. It sat like that for a while. I think about an hour or so later (when I made my 3rd lap around) it was cycling again. So, with this said, I'm wondering if there's still some glitches in the computer and its sensors causing the ride to e-stop. Not sure though as I'm not a ride mechanic or operator.

It was mentioned they were still working out some bugs but maybe it was stopped for something else. I find it interesting you were there the same day as the video yet you didn't hear it, which you would have for sure. So that means either it was a one time thing or it was fixed before you were listening to it, or, maybe the noise in the video was faked, not impossible. But I just think unless you are deaf, since you were there, it would have been something you could not miss. Hmm... I don't know.

Just like any coaster - it "changes" throughout the day. Still not as much as wood, but the ride "changes" nonetheless.

Compare it to a bowling alley with synthetic lanes: the hook line still moves, but not as much as on the old wood lanes!

Actually, on old wood lanes the hook line is a groove worn into the finish on the lane from years of use, it doesn't change much except the balls pick up the oil and carry it down. On synthetics, the oil gets pushed all over the place and picked up by balls, but because the surface does not wear if at all, the 'shot' changes more drastically. This change, normally is not as drastic on wood. Yes, I have worked in this field for 20 years.

It was mentioned they were still working out some bugs but maybe it was stopped for something else. I find it interesting you were there the same day as the video yet you didn't hear it, which you would have for sure. So that means either it was a one time thing or it was fixed before you were listening to it, or, maybe the noise in the video was faked, not impossible. But I just think unless you are deaf, since you were there, it would have been something you could not miss. Hmm... I don't know.

The video is 100% raw. Only editing applied was the intro. However, like others have mentioned, the coaster may have cycled later on in the day, and that is when the other guy heard it. Unfortunately, I don't remember what time this video was taken. However, if I could guess, I would say around 5:00-5:30. But again, thats a complete guess.

Well that clears that up. The day you were there and shot the video, it seemed loud in the video and from what I could tell you were over by Demon, was it really that loud in person?

Yes. It was noticably louder then the rest of the ride. The video might have slightly enhanced the sound due to the high pitch, maybe. But that noise was very loud and very clear.

When I first saw Invertigo cycling, it was probably around 2:30 or 3...but I was back by Planet Snoopy, and just heard the lift hill thuds and hums. It was more around 4:00 - 5:00 when I was passing by the food court and Invertigo's boomerang element heading toward Demon as it was cycling forward and backward. It seemed pretty quiet to me minus the typical clicks it makes as it's going through the course. It was refreshing to see the coaster actually running, almost surreal as it was dormant for almost a year. I'm wondering if this squeak was a 1-shot deal or if it was fixed after the problem? Who knows...

I would bet the mechanics heard it as well and hopefully took care of it, I don't think they would let something like that (or anything) go, although as I mentioned I have ridden it with a flat wheel before, but not working on these I don't know if that warrants serious attention. I would hate to see it go down again but it seems fine now and that's good, I have been waiting for a year to ride it and can't wait to.

Actually, on Friday, the ride was cycling again, and it sounded fine. Actually, it sounds like it's in great condition. Let's hope that it can open soon.

Thats good. I would hate the ride to have to stay closed for another few weeks due to this issue.

I believe I'll be back in the park sometime in the next few days. If I'm there, I'll be sure to keep an eye (and hear) out for Invertigo testing.

I'm not sure what to think...What I found on Screamscape is that

A reader reports that Invertigo is still making test runs with the water dummies. When they asked an employee about the ride they were told that they had to get in 100 hours of successful test runs before they could reopen it. So hopefully it will reopen soon.
Could be the game of telephone where different workers have different stories. When I asked a couple weeks ago, an employee gave the safest answer: "I'm not sure."

Flight Deck? Hopefully it's something minor. A lot of people on CGA's Facebook page post bunch of random stuff like "Invertigo is going to be removed" and "Flight Deck is sinking" and bunch of other BS stuff. Real hard to tell, which means I need to get out to the park again to see what's up.

Yeah, I've heard Top Gun has been sinking for the last 10 years...lol! I thought I read years ago that the last helix part of the track in the lagoon actually was but was fixed. At any rate, I'm sure if it really still is sinking we would have all known about it by now.