TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Cedar Fair needs to go after the 49ers because they seem to be getting walked all over with this deal. If Cedar Fair wants to sell the park for any reasonable amount of money (as an operating theme park) the existing infrastructure has to remain in place or a reasonable solution to parking and game days has to be in place. The only way Cedar Fair wouldn't bother to fight the stadium plan is if they decide to Geauga Lake it and I'm not sure if that is possible since the land the park is on is leased from the city and therefor CF probably isn't allowed to sell it for their profit.

^I think that lease is the key. Wasn't it for something like 50 years? What would this park be like in 50 years? How many wonderfull things/coasters will happen? I remember in the CGA blog awhile back it was mentioned some very exciting things are going to happen in the next few years- I hope by 'exciting' they mean 'coasters.' When will the 'new for 2010' announcement come out?

I liked Pony Express, I thought it was a great little coaster. What I didn't like was their "no glasses (even with a strap) policy".

Anyway, the Great America situation feels like the Michigan Adventure situation where the park had to wait a few years to figure out what the local government was doing before thy could really start investing into the park.

I went to CGA's 2nd Halloween Haunt last night with 3 other friends. It was so much fun and here are my reviews.

MAZES:

Carnevil (x1): Waited about 20 min because it was our first maze and everybody else went there first too. Very good maze as usual with many good scares. 9/10

Werewolf Canyon (x2): 5 min and then 15 min waits. Well themed, but there didn't seem to be as many scareactors this year. Don't know if it was just early in the season or we caught a bad part of the night or w/e. Still a very long and creepy maze through the woods. Only one chainsaw guy. 8/10

Cornstalkers (x1): 10 min line. Very long and some really good scares in the beginning, but by the end the outhouses seemed to go on forever. Still a very good maze. One problem is that you exit the maze way far away from where you enter, which means you have to backtrack if you want to get to Toy Factory, Drop Tower (broke down), Grizzly, or Survivor. 8/10

Toy Factory (x2): walk ons both times. Much longer than I thought and the theming was superb. Lots of very cool special effects and the actors were great. And the ending was totally cool, but I don't want to give away much. 9/10

Slaughterhouse (x1): walk on. Another decently long and good maze. Talent was ok, but not anything spectacular. Overall a solid, but not amazing maze. 7/10

Club Blood (x1): walk on. Very little talent. The dancers in the club weren't great and definitely the shortest maze by far in the whole park. The theming, though is on par with the others. 6/10

Camp Gonnagetcha (x1): walk on. It was freezing tonight so there weren't that many people who were enthusiastic about riding the log ride, which meant a very short line all night. The scares were really great and there were a ton for such a short period of scaring. 8/10

SHOWS:

Ed Alonzo's Magic: A lot of people were at the middle show (9:45). I had no idea what to expect, but I am so glad that I went. The magic tricks were fantastic and he was hilarious!!! I highly recommend the show. Very well done indeed. 10/10

Hypnosis show: Me and my friends were picked to be hypnotized in the last show of the night (11:30). It didn't work for any of us. Not sure about this one.... 3/10 (for other people doing hilarious things, but not sure if they were voluntary or not)

Overall, the night was not crowded. All rides were walk ons and all mazes were too by like 10. We rode almost every ride too. The first weekend is always great because of the lack of crowds. I remember last year the 2nd time I went it was like 4x as crowded because people had spread the word about how cool the haunt really is. So go before it gets crowded and hit the mazes early (especially Cornstalkers, Carnevil, and Toy Factory).

Looks like I'll be doing the Haunt in a couple weeks. Can't wait to check out Toy Factory. Today however, they didn't have the exit part fully covered so I kinda saw how the Toy Factory ended with some of the ending features, not going to spoil it though. Also, 2008 Haunt gear was marked down, but nothing was in my size. Wouldn't have minded a nice warm hoodie for half the price.

With this said, I just got back from CGA today, Invertigo definitely not looking ready to open anytime soon. Dismantling wise, I'd say that it was some of the components for the lift. I noticed that the chain wasn't there (The boxes above the track had their panels removed where the chain was visible before, now gone) and there were these long cables hanging down.

Lastly, I doubt that a woodie will happen for 2010. If it were, shouldn't ground-breaking/land prepping have started?

^OSHA is probably still inspecting Invertigo. They said it was going to be a few months. My guess is that they're still trying to figure out what caused the malfunction. Oh well, better to have them find out what the problem is than for it to happen again.

Yeah, it still sucks about the woodie not happening. Those stupid office buildings are ruining any type of expansion plans CGA might have!

^The bitchy neighbors are not helping. If the 49er plans fail, (I should say when they fail), don't forget the park can always expand into the main lot, even if it means building a parking garage, if they WANT to do it THEY WILL- and CF did mention they had future expansion plans and I don't think they would say that if it were not possible. As far as the woodie, if that's true that sucks and I would hope they have plans for another coaster up their sleeves. How long would it take to build the woodie?

Last year I went the first Saturday and the 3rd Saturday of October. The 1st one was dead and the 3rd was very crowded.

This year I'm doing the same thing and last Saturday was dead, so I'd expect the 17th to be very crowded. See you there Angry Gumball!

I would not expect the woodie to show up before 2011 at the very least. It was mentioned the park would be getting a new flat for 2010 (I can't really say who said it). The woodie has been approved across the board; they are just trying to find the funds. (Build it then figure out how to keep it quiet enough to appease the neighbors).

I would not expect the woodie to show up before 2011 at the very least. It was mentioned the park would be getting a new flat for 2010 (I can't really say who said it). The woodie has been approved across the board; they are just trying to find the funds. (Build it then figure out how to keep it quiet enough to appease the neighbors).

Thinking about it, I believe Santa Cruz Boardwalk had a bunch of struggles to get a 125' S&S tower. Locals opposed to it due to height, and possibility of killing birds. I'm not sure how long of a fight they had to put up to finally get it in.

Woodie-wise, last 'official' news I had heard was stuff about conducting sound tests once the coaster was built. So now, maybe it could be funding?

And lastly, how trustworthy was your source about a flat ride for next year? And speaking of flat rides, what's going on with Firefall? It's been down for quite a while now and only recall riding it a couple times this season, maybe just 1 visit out of the 6 times I've gone.