TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

It's almost too bad it didn't happen with TPR there, that would have made for an interesting discussion and I also agree with what you said about the GP and the media. What still bothers me is everytime the media mentions this they call it an accident. Isn't an accident injury/death/severe damage? Nobody was even hurt (hats off to CGA and all rescue staff) so isn't this just considered more of an incident not accident?

So I didn't want to completely take over the CW thread...

What are your thoughts about Planet Snoopy. I know it's not that GCI that's been so hard to get, but if a couple decent rides are added, it might not be so bad.

Oh, and Haunt information is official.

It would be nice to see the GCI coaster be thrown in as well as the Snoopy makeover, but is doubtful. If a coaster was going to be built for next year, there would have already been land preparations for that area...which hasn't happened yet.

On the Snoopy side of things, I wonder what's going to happen/what new show we'll get in the Action FX Theater? I know it won't be an ice show because it wouldn't make sense to use motion simulator seats...plus, there's already an ice rink set up in the GA Theater.

Lastly (but not least) it looks like only 1 maze. What was up with the 7 mazes sign is beyond me...maybe photoshopped? Anywho, still looking forward to CGA's Haunt. Toy Factory (confirmed) is going to be located in the arcade just past the old cars, next to Grizzly (across from the airbrush shop & restrooms).

If only the invertigo breakdown happened whilst we were on the ride. That would have been great!

CGA though whilst I'm at it, was in my opinion a really nice park (I especially loved the stereotypical "Boomerang Bay", that made my day.

Just a couple of quick q's re CGA, am I going crazy, or are there 2 tunnels after the 2 loops on The Demon? Anyone know what the "unused by the coaster" tunnel is used for?

And secondly, the old fashioned car ride underneath Grizzly, we were going to ride the Cars to get some unique footage of Grizzly, but we noticed there was a sign at the entrance to the ride which said that the ride had a "No Photography of any kind" policy (not the exact wording however).

Is this type of policy a normal Cedar Fair policy for such tame rides like the cars, or is this just a weird CGA policy?

If only the invertigo breakdown happened whilst we were on the ride. That would have been great!

CGA though whilst I'm at it, was in my opinion a really nice park (I especially loved the stereotypical "Boomerang Bay", that made my day.

Just a couple of quick q's re CGA, am I going crazy, or are there 2 tunnels after the 2 loops on The Demon? Anyone know what the "unused by the coaster" tunnel is used for?

And secondly, the old fashioned car ride underneath Grizzly, we were going to ride the Cars to get some unique footage of Grizzly, but we noticed there was a sign at the entrance to the ride which said that the ride had a "No Photography of any kind" policy (not the exact wording however).

Is this type of policy a normal Cedar Fair policy for such tame rides like the cars, or is this just a weird CGA policy?

Yes, there is a second tunnel that runs parallel to Demon's tunnel. Back then (pre Stealth) there was a train that ran around the perimeter of the park. This train also 'took the tunnel' and even went under one of Demon's corkscrews.

About the antique cars. I guess I've never noticed that rule...and again, I've never been hassled about taking my camera on either. I do typically use the wrist strap if I'm on anything that's moving or am near water to avoid accidental droppage...so maybe that's why?

You are not crazy, there are 2 tunnels. Demon uses the one on the right and the one on the left was a tunnel the train that used to run around the park went through. For whatever reason they just never removed it. I don't know about the photography policy, seems odd that would be posted on an attraction like that. I wonder why, there's nothing to hide there unless it's part of the no loose articles policy or maybe they don't want people stopping traffic mid ride for a photo op?

^Stopping mid ride...sounds logical to me. I usually just keep going and snap as I go along the course...much like an "On-rails" game, grab the unique angle as quick as possible with no stopping/slowing down. Actually, kind of reminding me of Pokemon Snap (I'm sure you guys all remember this game).

When I worked on the 'Barney Oldfield Speedway' people would stop all the time, usually to cause a collision and I would guess people have stopped to take pics, which stops traffic and gives them a chance to get out of the cars which is quite easy, seen it before. Maybe this is CF's way to reduce the possibility of that happening. Although it was funny to see one car ram into another and watch their heads jerk back. I hated working that ride! Glad it wasn't the only one I worked.

The slower the news day, the more small things like this get blown out of proportion.

Exactly & this is why two face was yanked from SFA because the local media had the nerve to show still images of the ride going through it's vertical loop making it seem as if the train had somehow stalled there rather than on the lift.

My guess is CGA's invertigo will be shipped off to Brazil & join two face at it's new home to form the worlds first pair of inverted racing shuttle coasters or something.

Good find. I'm glad CGA thinks that retheming the kid zones twice (03, 10) before getting a new coaster is a good idea. We are approaching (almost) 10 straight years sans new coaster.

Getting a bit concerned myself as well...no land prep/clearing for the new woodie, if that's even still in the works. Me has a feeling that that woodie was just a pipe dream, much like vaporware in the software world.

About how long does it take anyway to prep land and get a woodie built anyway on average? Not sure if it's still too early to tell if anything's going to happen or not.

Argh, why can't CGA get something like Intimidator! Because I'm bored and frustrated, here's a list of CF parks and the coasters they've gotten from 2001-2010 (10 years):

Carowinds-Rugrat's Runaway Reptar (03), Nighthawk (04), Carolina Cobra (09), Intimidator (10)

KI-Rugrat's Runaway Reptar (01), Backlot Stunt Coaster (05), Firehawk (07), Diamondback (09)

KD-Hypersonic (01), Ricochet (02), Backlot Coaster (06), Dominator (08), Intimidator (10)

CW-Silver Streak (01), Tomb Raider/Time Warp (04), Backlot Stunt Coaster (05), Behemoth (08)

CP-Wicked Twister (02), TTD (03), Maverick (07), new coaster (10)

WoF-Spinning Dragons (04), Patriot (06), Prowler (09)

VF-Steel Venome (03), Renegade (07)

KBF-Xcelerator (02), Silver Bullet (04), Sierra Sidewinder (07), Pony Express (08)

DP-Talon (01), Hydra (05), Voodoo/Possesed (08)

EVEN MiA-Thunderhawk (08)

CGA?? Psycho Mouse and the removal of Greased Lightnin and Stealth. It's frustrating.

Just to clear things up it is TEMPORARY, your post leaves this crucial piece of information out and makes it sound as if they are taking it down for good. Actually, the title of the article is "State inspectors temporarily dismantling invertigo roller coaster" just wanted to clear that up.

The thing is, I've never heard of a ride being dismantled just for an inspection, without it being removed altogether. Now, the article didn't specify if it was just parts of the lift or more of the ride being dismantled, but seeing what happened to Two Face, I'm kinda doubtful that Invertigo will operate again, at least at CGA, that is. I dunno, sounds like a cover up to "quietly" remove the ride, kinda like what GL did with Steel Venom/Possessed.

I'll go ahead and edit my original post to clear things up though.

How far for the dismantling? You got to figure, the news makes vague statements that make something sound worse than it really is. My guess is that certain portions are going to be taken off pertaining to the lift, not the whole entire coaster being taken down. Put it this way...car breaks down. Are you going to dismantle the entire car just to repair the transmission or whatever other part went out? I wouldn't think so...

How far for the dismantling? You got to figure, the news makes vague statements that make something sound worse than it really is. My guess is that certain portions are going to be taken off pertaining to the lift, not the whole entire coaster being taken down. Put it this way...car breaks down. Are you going to dismantle the entire car just to repair the transmission or whatever other part went out? I wouldn't think so...

Yeah that's right, that's ALL it is. Only part of it is being dismantled to be tested, then after the investigation is over, it will be reassembled and tested I'm sure. All this depends on how long the investigation takes, the lab testing, etc.. This does not mean in any way shape or form that the ride is going to be taken out at all, nothing is for sure it is still very early and all hinges on what they find out, I imagine. I really don't think this would be cause to remove it anyway. Nobody got hurt, there was a malfunction and it stopped like it was supposed to so there is no cause for alarm there. There are other rides still in operation that have caused much worse, why haven't they been taken out? It's almost like sometimes it sounds like whenever a ride has something happen to it like this people immediately jump on the "it's going away" bandwagon without knowing all the facts or waiting until whatever is going on concludes. At this point nobody knows yet what is going to happen, it's too early and just because one park did this and another park did that means nothing.