TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

From what I hear, it should be opening back up soon..

Anyone here going to HAUNT at GA this year?

or better yet working HAUNT this year? would be nice to know if i'm working with anyone else on here

Grizzly was somewhat busy yesterday, a bit more-so than Demon (by a 2-train wait). I actually did Grizz 3x yesterday...my poor back!

Speaking of wood, does anyone know what's going on with the future woodie?

hopefully something will start up soon.. Still don't think they need to build a football stadium out there..

Ok a few things to point out.

Flight Deck I guess was down due to issues with the lift as posted. From what I read over at Screamscape (not sure if they're a reliable source) there were problems with the train engaging the lift.

Also, there was an article in my local paper about Cedar Fair wanting to file a law suit against this proposed stadium. It was early this morning when I was reading it and was kind of in a hurry but it sounds like guys behind the stadium proposal were not considering the affects on the park. To me, it seems like Cedar Fair does care about the park if they're willing to file a suit (plus they could use that money anyway) rather than them just giving up the park a long time ago to suit the 49ers. I could be completely wrong but just thinking positive here (for CGA's future).

The image in the paper showed the proposed stadium sitting in CGA's overflow lot, across that little creek. By the looks of it, CGA would end up having to give up a portion of their lot for the 49ers. So, with that part said, a parking structure would probably be the most beneficial if this were to actually happen.

I found the whole article here, the same one I read this morning in the paper.

I guess this:

A draft of the transportation plan prepared by the 49ers did not even mention Great America, Kinzel wrote, something Cedar Fair considered "a major flaw" that "causes us great concern."

raised a red flag for Cedar Fair.

And to answer the haunt question, I'm hoping to do Haunt this year...though it's only on Fridays and Saturdays. I guess Sundays last season wasn't a great turnout for the park as it was real empty.

And to answer the haunt question, I'm hoping to do Haunt this year...though it's only on Fridays and Saturdays. I guess Sundays last season wasn't a great turnout for the park as it was real empty.

I'm working Streets this year, going for Slider position, least we get 1 sunday (25th)

They're haunting only 1 Sunday? That's a bit strange...

I agree.. We weren't that Slow last year on Sundays, I remember those were the night we had the most staff there.. CS was packed.. I'm just hoping we get some more decorations/theme going in our scare zones this year.. at least expand them and give us more than one little walkway or the folks over on the other side of the park more than just a bridge =\

As to Cedar fair's lawsuite, here's from the Contra Costa Times:

Concerns from Cedar Fair, the Ohio-based owner of Great America, have dogged the stadium discussion nearly since it began in late 2006. They flared anew Tuesday

when a San Jose law firm sent the council a letter asking that it delay the vote on the term sheet so that company representatives could spend more time looking it over.

"Frankly, we were surprised that the city didn't grant our request," Cedar Fair spokeswoman Stacy Frole said Wednesday.

The company, concerned about parking and other losses, has been negotiating with both the 49ers and the city. For the first time, however, Cedar Fair said it would consider legal action.

"It's difficult to say at this point in time," Frole said Wednesday. "We need to review the term sheet."

49ers President Jed York said Wednesday that talks with Cedar Fair had narrowed to one key issue: how events held outside the NFL season would affect the park. The team also has discussed paying Great America to close on game days.

"We're very confident" a deal can be reached, York said.

What could be perhaps the most definitive hurdle facing the stadium effort — a binding, citywide vote — could come as soon as March. The city council will convene June 23 to discuss setting a date

Dear 49ers: Please stay where you are and keep your traffic that comes with your games on the other side of the Bay, thanks!

I have the article right in front of me in the paper (San Jose Mercury News). A quote directly from Kinzel:

Cedar Fair must protect Great America and our substantial investment in that park and we will do that.

Gives me hope that CF really does want CGA.

Oh, and I'm really excited for CGA's 2nd Haunt this year!

I have the article right in front of me in the paper (San Jose Mercury News). A quote directly from Kinzel:
Cedar Fair must protect Great America and our substantial investment in that park and we will do that.

Gives me hope that CF really does want CGA.

Oh, and I'm really excited for CGA's 2nd Haunt this year!

So am I, and i'll be on the scaring end, nothing more fun than a month of entertaining guests.. even if it is making them run away in fear, but I will say nothing feels as good as watching 5 of your fellow monsters chasing a poor girl around the park.. I love when people assume we won't chase them..

ALSO CGA's facebook account is offering to release some HAUNT info only if they reach a certain amount of fans of their facebook account..

www.facebook.com/cagreatamerica

yea, I hear it's going to be called Toy Factory instead, I think I did recall seeing a TF abbreviation on our hire forms...

One of the unused areas was the kids section, why not theme it in there? it would work nicely, where else to put a Toy Factory than in a kid themed area *evil grin* I don't think they'd have a Scare zone for it, much like Werewolf Canyon didn't have one outside either..

I had my cam at the park last week... here's some footage of the Delta Flyer. I've always loved these sky rides and it's fun to see a bit how they work. I've got a few clips of the grip attaching, the towers, and then a detach. It looks even better pre-YouTube processing, but I think it is still clear enough. Plus some random CGA footage.. Demon, carousel.

Just came across this on the net:

Finally after talking with several park employees, I discover some details on 2009’s Halloween Haunt. First off, I am glad to report that all the mazes will be returning this year. I am not certain about the scare zones. Next year I have heard conflicting reports saying that they will had either one or two new scare zones. All of the employees I spoke with didn’t know what the theme was. However from multiple sources I am glad to report that the new maze for next year is….

The Doll Factory. I am assuming it will be coming straight out of Knott’s Scary Farm, however I am not sure where it will be installed at.

It is also worth noting that one employee said that they were considering the Insane Asylum for 2010’s Halloween Haunt as well.

Lastly, I have an update about the new GCI coaster. I have two reports that have given me different information. One said that the park is getting it they are just waiting for the money. Notice how he didn’t say contracts, or permits, money. Another informant said that the ride would be part wood, part steel. Now, in the previous concept art you can see that it appears to be all wood. Between this and the money statement, I believe that they have gotten approval now. This would also be GCI’s first hybrid coaster. Perhaps the hybrid change was made in order to reduce noise, I am not sure because I have never ridden a hybrid coaster. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

As far as Doll factory goes, this will actually be "Toy Factory" rumor has it this maze will be where Barney's is currently, as far as the GCI, well we'll just have to wait and see what pans out in time.. I hope Cedar Fair shows our park some major love..

I went to the park today and Flight Deck was finally open! I asked a ride-op and he said it re-opened last night. But FireFall was closed all day again. What s shock. When I went to SFDK a couple weeks ago, Voodoo was also down all day. Top Spins just have to much maintenance components that they always are down.

I was just at the park and the giant billboard outside of the park advertised for the Haunt "7 mazes, 4 scare zones, 2 live shows, and one terrifying ride". Last year there were only 5 mazes, so along with Toy Factory, it looks like we're getting another new maze!

I finally went this season, great time (beer and rollercoasters- woo hoo!). Noticed fizzly-Grizzly wasn't as rough as last time, not that it was anymore fun, and I rode Firefall for the first time. Interesting but uncomfortable. It was nice to see the theater by Flight Deck open again and it makes me wonder what they have planned for the Pictorium. Can't remember the last time it was open. I hope they refurb it because watching a movie on that GIANT screen is awesome!