TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

When Cedar Fair first announced the ride, the first thing that came to my mind was it was a ploy to either

A.) Show the city they are serious about keeping the park and the city would kill the chance of the 49ers building the stadium

B.)Make the park look better for a possible sale to the 49ers, and thus Cedar Fair would then be off the hook for the ride by selling the park.

Unfortunately I really don't see a bright future for this park. CF doesn't seem completely committed to the place, and there is certainly a lot of people in the area that wouldn't mind this place being closed if it meant an exciting new 49'ers project. I think that this park could very well end up like Geauga Lake (aka CF decides that selling it would be more valuable than continuing its operation).

A shame since its a nice park, but I just don't have a good feeling about all this.

Actually I do think that CF is more committed to the park than Paramount was. They just added Firefall, not just a flat ride, but a heavily themed flat ride. I highly doubt that if they did not care about the park they would put in something like Firefall. Plus, they are actually trying to get the coaster in, it's not like GL where they didn't have any additions except water park and cheaply placed flats. Introducing the Halloween Haunt and the ice show this year also helps me to believe that CF values this park. Attendance (in the days that I've been) has been up, especially compared to these past years. I have a hard time thinking that CF would sell the park.

Agreed. Plus, the extended park hours, the expensive new sign by highway 101, and I have been seeing a buttload of CGA commercials, sometimes one right after the other. These commercials seem to be on a lot more frequently than the SFDK ads. If I were to guess, I would say you'd see 3-4 CGA ads before seeing one ad for SFDK. I really believe CF wants to keep this park and expand it when the 49er deal falls through. I do remember from one of the articles CF said they had 'future expansion plans' for CGA.

Unfortunately I really don't see a bright future for this park. CF doesn't seem completely committed to the place, and there is certainly a lot of people in the area that wouldn't mind this place being closed if it meant an exciting new 49'ers project. I think that this park could very well end up like Geauga Lake (aka CF decides that selling it would be more valuable than continuing its operation).

A shame since its a nice park, but I just don't have a good feeling about all this.

Actually I do think that CF is more committed to the park than Paramount was. They just added Firefall, not just a flat ride, but a heavily themed flat ride. I highly doubt that if they did not care about the park they would put in something like Firefall. Plus, they are actually trying to get the coaster in, it's not like GL where they didn't have any additions except water park and cheaply placed flats. Introducing the Halloween Haunt and the ice show this year also helps me to believe that CF values this park. Attendance (in the days that I've been) has been up, especially compared to these past years. I have a hard time thinking that CF would sell the park.

Agreed. Plus, the extended park hours, the expensive new sign by highway 101, and I have been seeing a buttload of CGA commercials, sometimes one right after the other. These commercials seem to be on a lot more frequently than the SFDK ads. If I were to guess, I would say you'd see 3-4 CGA ads before seeing one ad for SFDK. I really believe CF wants to keep this park and expand it when the 49er deal falls through. I do remember from one of the articles CF said they had 'future expansion plans' for CGA.

That big electronic sign on 101 was there when the park was still Paramount's.

Dont forget the fireworks every Saturday night in August!

Strange I had heard they had received approval already and it was all set to go

Really? That would be great news. Where did you get that from?

And about the 101 sign, yeah I know it has been there forever but it had fallen into disrepair, and was half working. Obviously it was not cheap for CF to get it working properly and remove the Paramount crap from it so essentially it is a new sign in that sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly I dont think this is the case Paramount put quite a bit into the park in the early years ie. Top Gun,Drop Zone etc. but after years of red tape via the City of Santa Clara they just kind of gave up on it, which I hope CF won't end up doing as well but I can see them getting frustrated and selling it if this kind of thing keeps up

• 1 month later...

Personally I think that if it does get built (and I think this about the folks who own things that get poopooed by others) paint it some gawd awful color so they can look at it everyday. Bright pink, lime green, or go to the paint surplus store and get what ever they have left in stock.

We had a lady here in town who complained about a business' storage shed having a faded paint job..... my thought.... slap some bright purple paint on it and say thanks!

I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while now, since last week but have been too lazy to search...so glad it got bumped..lol

Anyway, according to what was on Screamscape's updates last week, we will definitely not see it in '09 (that was obvious), but unclear if it's going to even happen.

2010-2011 - GCI Wooden Coaster - Proposed - (11/24/08) After being left off the 2009 Capital List from Cedar Fair’s big corporate announcement last week a company spokesperson confirmed that the coaster would not be coming in 2009 as planned. However they were kind of vague if it was just being delayed a year or two or if it was canceled entirely. More as we find out.

Give us something next year...I can't see a season go by without some form of new ride. They could use a dark ride, preferably a shoot 'em up one, as parks seem to be on a trend of attracting families.

Again, I can't imagine that this park is going to build anything even slightly significant until the whole issue of whether or not a football stadium will be built in the parking lot gets resolved. It just doesn't make sense for CF to dump money into the place if it's going to end up being sold to the city or closed so it can be knocked down to make a parking garage or whatever.

I could always be wrong, of course, but this just makes sense to me...

dt