TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I probably needs a bit more weight to the car to flip. I'd wait to see what it's like with a full load before passing judgment.

No, that definitely looked like something is wrong with it. Huss rides are designed so the operator can change load settings is the ride is 1/3 full, 2/3 full or 3/3 full. I've watched VooDoo at SFDK flip 3 to 4 times empty on the 3/3 setting. It can do up to like 6 or 7 on the 1/3 setting.

And yeah, this thing is running the same exact program as VooDoo at SFDK. So you can visit CGA and ride something that the bay area has had for 10 years or visit SFDK and get the same ride PLUS Tony Hawk... thus concludes my hating on CGA.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just have to say that me and my friend went to CGA when we went to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and I must say that it was the lamest park I have ever been to. The coasters sucked! The only decent, and I do mean decent, thing they had was Flight Deck and even that was lackluster compared to its sister at Carowinds. The one redeeming quality was that it had a lot of good flat rides (inverted swinging ship, flyers, delerium, survivor, drop zone, etc.) Grizzly was the most boring coaster I have ever been on. Vertigo is a Vekoma so go figure. Demon was terribley painful! Vortex was lackluster as well. They really need to look into adding some more rides and make them good! If Carowinds and CGA are any indication of what Cedar Fair is doing then they better step up their game.

I don't think that they have failed at all. They have only had the place for 2 years and are adding a high thrill flat ride this year as well as what looks to be a kick-ass GCI woodie for next year. The park is much better than it was during the Paramount ownership.

If the testing video is any indication, Firefall will run the same program as King Chaos at Six Flags Great America. Weight is a huge reason why it appeared the gondola did not flip through the first part. King Chaos gets 4-5 flips during that part. The rest of the program as seen through that video is what should be expected.

Ok, I just have to say that me and my friend went to CGA when we went to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and I must say that it was the lamest park I have ever been to. The coasters sucked! The only decent, and I do mean decent, thing they had was Flight Deck and even that was lackluster compared to its sister at Carowinds. The one redeeming quality was that it had a lot of good flat rides (inverted swinging ship, flyers, delerium, survivor, drop zone, etc.) Grizzly was the most boring coaster I have ever been on. Vertigo is a Vekoma so go figure. Demon was terribley painful! Vortex was lackluster as well. They really need to look into adding some more rides and make them good! If Carowinds and CGA are any indication of what Cedar Fair is doing then they better step up their game.

Ok, first off, it's Invertigo, not Vertigo. Second, just like mentioned, it's only the second full year that Cedar Fair has control. A lot more damage was done when Paramount was there. True they don't have the most amazing roller coasters ever, but it is still a really fun park. And you also have to realize that there is not much room left for park expansion. They are completely landlocked. Just give CF a little longer and CGA will definitely be better .

Ok, first off, it's Invertigo, not Vertigo. Second, just like mentioned, it's only the second full year that Cedar Fair has control. A lot more damage was done when Paramount was there. True they don't have the most amazing roller coasters ever, but it is still a really fun park. And you also have to realize that there is not much room left for park expansion. They are completely landlocked. Just give CF a little longer and CGA will definitely be better .

Totally agree with you, well said. I don't think that is the lamest park he has ever been to, for some reason. Like stated, give CF time to repair the Paramount damage and be patient, this park will be better. You actually can already see some positive things happening but it sounds like this person went to the park with a negative attitude and only saw the bad, I don't know but there is something strange about that post.

CGA is a great park. You just have to go there knowing there's not going to be a any record breaking rides, but just an overall great amusement park atmosphere. Obviously Cedar Fair sees something in the park because it has the second longest operating season this year, first being Knott's. And they announced what's coming to the park in 2009, which parks rarely ever do. And just this past Saturday, the park was absolutely packed! The entire overflow for Vortex was filled, Flight Deck's line was spilling out into the midway, and some of the flats that never see lines, saw big ones that day. Paramounts royally screwed CGA over, and now Cedar Fair has to pick up the pieces. I can bet anyone that if Paramounts was still the owner, The Orbit would be gone, park hours would be shorter, and they still wouldn't want a new coaster.