TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

CF can't just take what a mess Paramount had and transform it instantly.
Yeah, I know that. It can only make it worse. I sense a very bad future for CGA. If you want to see a park improve, just look at SFMM.

I couldn't agree less. What has SFMM done that has been so special?

-removed a ton of rides that were already closed before

-New trains and effects to X

-Thomas Town

-New paint on a couple rides

CF is definitely one of the best things that has happened to the park. I don't see how you can blame the park's problems on CF at all!

Well, obviously you haven't been to SFMM recently and compared it to how it was 2 years ago.

As far of the rides that were removed, they were just rides that no one liked or rode. So it's not like you'll really notice they're gone.

Those new trains on X will increase capacity so more people will get to ride, making the line not be so painfully long.

Thomas Town will give the park a better variety so that more families will come and give the park more money to make more improvements.

And the New Paint on Ninja and Viper. That just makes the ride look nicer. It's eyecandy. Which is something Cedar Fair could really use.

Plus much more.

And now let's see what Cedar Fair has done to CGA

Made everything an eyesore

New coaster for 2009

More Trash Cans

More Typical Cedar Fair Crap.

If you like what Cedar Fair has done, that's fine. But let's end this war on whether Cedar Fair ruined CGA or not before it gets out of hand.[/i]

Well, obviously you haven't been to SFMM recently and compared it to how it was 2 years ago.

As far of the rides that were removed, they were just rides that no one liked or rode. So it's not like you'll really notice they're gone.

Those new trains on X will increase capacity so more people will get to ride, making the line not be so painfully long.

Thomas Town will give the park a better variety so that more families will come and give the park more money to make more improvements.

And the New Paint on Ninja and Viper. That just makes the ride look nicer. It's eyecandy. Which is something Cedar Fair could really use.

Plus much more.

New coaster for 2009

More Trash Cans

If you like what Cedar Fair has done, that's fine. But let's end this war on whether Cedar Fair ruined CGA or not before it gets out of hand.[/i]

You're right. The last time I visited SFMM was 06 and the only improvements I have seen are through TRs and updates. You say that Thomas Town will bring in families which means more money for big additions. Well in the case of PGA their "family focus" from 03-06 really didn't do them well. And CF has realized that. Enter Firefall and new GCI woodie.

I do agree that a nice coat of paint would do CGA's rides well. You say CF has made everything an eyesore. Two ride signs is hardly everything. Plus I actually don't mind the Flight Deck sign. I also can't see your good argument when you list "More Typical Cedar Fair Crap" as a way CGA is harmed by CF.

I'm really looking forward to what CGA can pull off over the next few years. The park was in a terrible slide for years, but now they are improving. The employees seem much nicer and helpful, plus they are adding new rides and Haunt.

If the park continues on the path they are on now, the park will regain the territory it lost in the late Paramount era. Sure, it won't be a great park, but at least it will be enjoyable once again.

New coaster for 2009

More Trash Cans

More Trash Cans....not really a problem, possibility of keeping areas cleaner

Made everything an eyesore? Where? A couple uncreative name changes doesn't make everything an eyesore, park looks the same as it did when Paramount owned it minus the previous uncreative movie licensed ride names. (I think that we all got too used to these names which is why we don't approve the new ones...)

More Typical Cedar Fair stuff? What would that be? Too vague to even be an argument. Can't say that CGA is just cement and trash cans as they have plenty of trees and winding paths. What is considered typical besides cement and trash...and infinitely winding queues that CGA isn't plagued with? (Well, they do have the trash cans)

Personally, I think CGA's in for good as they revived a classic show that existed in the Marriot days, adding a new coaster (finally!) that Paramount hasn't done since '01, reopening an original Marriot ride that we thought was also on the chopping block (that Paramount had going) Not to mention, longer hours like it used to have.

^Could not agree more. It's easy to point out the negatives but if you're going to do that you cannot ignore the positive steps that have been taken as mentioned. Nothing is ever perfect and in the process of improvement there are going to be little things here and there, such as ride names, that seem like a step backward. Looking at the overall picture the positives out number the negatives...in my opinion. The trash can thing is old and needs to be let go. I'd rather have a clean park with lots of trashcans than a filthy one with not enough so how can that be a bad thing? And really, it's not like it's rediculously outrageous to the point that the place is completely covered with them. More trashcans encourage people to use them instead of the ground. I am so glad the hours have been extended and I am looking forward to riding coasters in the dark there once again.

Arguments like "typical cedar fair crap" and "everything is an eyesore" are hilarious and give me no reason to think anything that guy says is serious or credible.

We all have our favorite park, but it is pretty funny when some people get so personally attached that they cannot even comprehend a different park with a different market. Oh well.

Anyone know what it means when a big white tent is set up in the preferred parking area? Is that a corporate event, or staging for something else? I couldn't get a good look.

Survivor lost most of its detail like the fire coming out of the torches (which I liked-you could feel the heat) & the sound I liked that played "now stomp your feet" during the ride.

btw, i asked about those and was told that the flame throwers are activated by the noise of the people in line. so, as goes the popularity of the ride (and/or the willingness of repeat riders to participate in the interactivity), so goes the fire display. I wonder if they can add a fallback mode like the attract mode of an arcade game that just fires them off every so often if nobody in line is participating.

btw, i asked about those and was told that the flame throwers are activated by the noise of the people in line. so, as goes the popularity of the ride (and/or the willingness of repeat riders to participate in the interactivity), so goes the fire display. I wonder if they can add a fallback mode like the attract mode of an arcade game that just fires them off every so often if nobody in line is participating.

The thing is that they stopped playing the video (late last year) that explains the whole interactive stomping thing. So they don't allow everyone to fill in the spots that are affected, and therefore they're not even giving the guests in line a chance to create the fire.

It's still there. I was at the park on Saturday and while the stomping video wasn't on, the fire and water from the masks were on.

Also, I like how they still kept the fighter jet sounds in Flight Decks queue line and station.

Similarly, someone else said that the voice on the Demon was gone... At first I thought "WHAT voice?" then I rode it on Friday.... voice is LOUD and clear. I never noticed the waterfall running before--I think that's my fault for just not paying attention, but it was a cool to finally see it.

It seems like some of you think that Cedar Fair is willing to let theme elements fall into a state of disarray or something. If that was true, then who has been arranging flowers and trimming hedges around the park?

Yeah, last night when I was walking out to the employee parking lot after work, I could clearly see the fire from Survivor flare up. Also, working at Berserker (which is right next to the Demon's tunnel), I can clearly hear the voice before the lift starts up. Besides, one of my supervisors told me that some to the special effects were on the fritz since it's still early in the season. Give things time and they will get better.

It would be cool if Demon's tunnel lit up once again. I believe all of those light sockets are still there. Why did they take out that effect anyway?

And as far as Survivor, it seems as though it's on a pre-programmed mode, meaning that there's a good section to sit and the other 3 sections give a 'meh' ride. I find that sitting in the orange section gives you the high end rotations, and the flame finale. Of all the times that I've ridden it, I always got blasted by flames sitting in the orange section.

Opening day, they had music and pre-show playing in the station complete with riders standing as still as a totem pole. I think my next visit (It would be nice to hit it up this weekend as well) will be April 12th if I can get that day off from work.

No tv's, sound, music no nothing! I miss the fire. I could really feal the heat! Its so annoying how they took that all out along with everything else in the park!!!

Did I miss something? What did they take out the park? They haven't taken anything at all!

Your just being dramatic.

^Yup. Earlier he claimed that CGA might be the "worst park in history." And a couple of weeks ago I rode Survivor on my day off and the fire and water were functioning, and on Spongebob, they had the bubbles and music.

I smell trolls, and they're not in the SFMM Sky Tower.

It would be cool if Demon's tunnel lit up once again. I believe all of those light sockets are still there. Why did they take out that effect anyway?

I heard that teens were throwing things at the bulbs, causing some to break and hurl broken glass into unsuspecting peoples faces.