TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

Here's what I think. That this year is going to be a slow transition year. With the longer hours, new ice show, new (hopefully well themed) Firefall, and new halloween Haunt I can see a bright future for the park.

The thing this park needs is attendance. I remember a few years back (when they still had Stealth and Greased Lightnin) the lines for the major coasters were like 45 min-hour on weekends. In recent years, the only ride with a line like that has been Survivor and even that line has died down. I don't remember the last time Drop Tower, Vortex or Invertigo's lines used a bunch of the switchbacks or the Star Tower or the Carousel having a line at all.

The decrease in lines may have something to do with the addition of the water park, but even when the water park is closed on weekends during the spring and fall the crowds are never large.

I got the feeling that last season was already a major transition period... the wave pool seemed like the remains of Paramount's influence, while everything this year is clearly Cedar Fair. I think Cedar Fair is usually really good at making long-term plans, so any seemingly small changes in the park can sometimes hint at things to come. I think the construction of the new wooden coaster (which has been before the Santa Clara planning commission for the past few months: See item #10) could be an indication that Grizzly could be on its way out... but who knows.

I noticed that Flight Deck's loose article compartments now have a sliding door that covers the items belonging to the other train. That is new to me. I wish this could be accomplished with some kind of system where people can put things in before boarding and the entire compartment is pushed across the track after the train departs.

Does anyone know much about the current status of the Pictorium? Is that something that can be rented for private events?

I think the construction of the new wooden coaster (which has been before the Santa Clara planning commission for the past few months: See item #10) could be an indication that Grizzly could be on its way out... but who knows.

It doesn't say anything about Grizzly, BUT it does reveal that the new coaster is actually going to be 111 ft high (or atleast thats what they requested) and not 104.

When it comes to park attendance, I remember one time last year where it was a Saturday with some event going on and also the San Jose Grand Prix that weekend. The lines for the rides were ridiculous. The line for Loggers Run strteched out across the wooden dock/bridge to the Sweet Treat building. But overall, the park attendance does seem like it has dropped.

Yeah, it may be early in the season, but Flight Deck and Delirium were walk-ons around lunch time yesterday.

Loco, I meant that if they are building a (fingers crossed) great GCI wooden coaster, then the area holding that crappy pile of toothpicks in the back could be used for something much better (though I really like the landscaping when you walk through the structure to get to the station).

I wish the food was more varied... I like the idea of Maggie's but other than the apple dumpling it doesn't seem very stand-out. And selling the same pizzas I see in the freezer aisle at Safeway??? If I'm going to pay premium for food, I want something unique... doesn't have to be healthy or anything... just something unique. One time last year, Slush Puppie rolled in a trailer of their products for a couple weeks and it was great to have something different (especially something cold).

Dippin Dots are kinda neat, but I don't need them every 50 feet. How about frozen custard? You don't see that much in this area.

I went today & I was done in less than 2 hours. CGA maybe the worst park in history. I'm sorry I went. I plan on not going for a loooooooong time. It needs a HUGE MAKEOVER. One giant woodie won't do it. At least 3 or 4 more after that. The Grizzly & Demon both need to go. Theyre so old. The Grizzly is probabably the slowest wood coaster there is & the Demon has a jerky lift hill & going through the loops are rough. Survivor lost most of its detail like the fire coming out of the torches (which I liked-you could feel the heat) & the sound I liked that played "now stomp your feet" during the ride. Spongebob Boatmobiles they really turned down the volume to the song & no more bubbles. All you SFO Bay Area coaster fans will be so dissapointed with CGA. I sure was today & my day was not fun at all. Don't waist your money & time at this park. Save it for a trip to SFMM & Disneyland.

I agree you will be unfulfilled if you're looking for a good day of coaster riding, but on the other hand, this has never really been that kind of park. This is my home park for now (and I grew up near Cedar Point), and when I first moved to the area I called it "OK America" or "Adequate America."

Still, I think they make the most of what they have. The park is mostly beautiful. The Survivor fire was there on opening day, but I suspect it gets disabled during high winds like today. I imagine the same goes for the bubbles, but I haven't seen them since late last season.

Compounding the "I just paid what for WHAT?" feeling is that the water park is not open yet... perhaps the price of admission should be reduced when the water park is not in operation?

But, as a home park... and included with the Cedar Fair platinum pass... I think it is decent and if I am in the area and have time, I will try to stop by and pick up a funnel cake And I'll probably make another 4 trips during the season and check out the Halloween event in the fall.

I went today & I was done in less than 2 hours. CGA maybe the worst park in history. I'm sorry I went. I plan on not going for a loooooooong time. It needs a HUGE MAKEOVER. One giant woodie won't do it. At least 3 or 4 more after that. The Grizzly & Demon both need to go. Theyre so old. The Grizzly is probabably the slowest wood coaster there is & the Demon has a jerky lift hill & going through the loops are rough. Survivor lost most of its detail like the fire coming out of the torches (which I liked-you could feel the heat) & the sound I liked that played "now stomp your feet" during the ride. Spongebob Boatmobiles they really turned down the volume to the song & no more bubbles. All you SFO Bay Area coaster fans will be so dissapointed with CGA. I sure was today & my day was not fun at all. Don't waist your money & time at this park. Save it for a trip to SFMM & Disneyland.

The worst park in history? I've never heard someone hate on CGA that bad.

^^^Demon needs to go? Are you kidding me? Its like a classic!

What really needs to go is Vortex and/or Grizzly and add a launch coaster in or around those spots.

I can definitely see a coaster similar to Maverick in Grizzly's spot.

CGA does seem to be a popular topic to discuss this season, as seen in my Opening Day TR. (I'm guessing it's because it was the first visuals of our ride renames ever posted on here)

Glad to see that this park isn't forgotten and is up for discussion.

As far as the CF transition, I'll say that by '09 or so, 99.99% of the Paramount stuff will be gone. As said in my TR: The Paramount ghost lingers on. It is indestructible!

I haven't been to CGA for at least a couple of years even though it is technically my home park. I prefer SFDK at the moment. I'm probably not going to attend this year as well. There is just nothing there that is worth the price of admission. I am looking forward to the new coaster in 2009 but am still not convinced that Cedar Fair will treat CGA any different than Paramount did.

Really I won't start believing in the park again until the whole 49er Santa Clara stadium thing is figured out. Until a definite decision is made I won't believe Cedar Fair has the parks wellbeing at heart. As it is right now the cynic in me says that all these minor improvements and additions are nothing but Cedar Fair trying to up the price of the park in order sell it to the stadium builders so that Cedar Fair can relieve some of the debt their company is in.

We'd have likely gotten new Maxx passes this season if they hadn't almost doubled from what we paid last season. Since we don't visit any other CF parks besides KBF for one day a year while in SoCal on vacation at DLR, the value just isn't there. My work has an event at CGA in late May. That will most likely be my family's only visit to CGA this year.

If your family is 4 people or more, the price for what you want to do is about the same. $59/each for the season pass, which gets you discounted admission at Knott's ($35.95/adult, $18.95 kids under 12). The Cedar Fair MAXX Passes were $90 (technically $99.95, I think) last season, so for

4 adults: 2008 - $384, 2007 - $365

3 adults, 1 kid under 12: 2008 - $367, 2007 - $365

Last time I was at SFDK (it was still called Marine World) it took nearly an hour to get a small pizza even though there were only about 12 people in line. The service seemed very slow at just about all places in that park. But nothing beats feeding apples to the giraffes!

Demon doesn't need to be torn down, it just needs it's original theming back. Bring back the Hell Scenery!! And as for Grizzly, It's the Mean Streak of the West. So of course it needs to be torn down. Now I will say that while CGA had a not that amazing coaster collection and only Top Gun and Drop Zone impressing me, I was still able to enjoy my day there. Of course, that was when that park was owned by Paramount. So now that Cedar Fail owns it, It probably has become the worst park in history like you said in your post. I'll just have to go back and see how much Damage Cedar Fail has done.

Demon doesn't need to be torn down, it just needs it's original theming back. Bring back the Hell Scenery!! And as for Grizzly, It's the Mean Streak of the West. So of course it needs to be torn down. Now I will say that while CGA had a not that amazing coaster collection and only Top Gun and Drop Zone impressing me, I was still able to enjoy my day there. Of course, that was when that park was owned by Paramount. So now that Cedar Fail owns it, It probably has become the worst park in history like you said in your post. I'll just have to go back and see how much Damage Cedar Fail has done.

I think most of the damage came from Paramount around 03 or so:

-Removal of Stealth, Greased Lightnin, Triple Play, railroad, many other rides an dthey were going to get rid of the Orbit

-No new coaster since 01

-Reduced park hours greatly

-Elimination of the Halloween event (other than the lame Nick or Treat)

-Increased admission prices

-Added to the water park 3 out of 4 years (04-07, yes I think the wave pool last year was Paramount's idea)

CF has:

-Renamed a couple rides (ok all of the other Paramount parks are going through this too)

-Lowered admission

-Extended hours

-Reinstated a Halloween event

-Promised a new coaster for 09

-reopened Orbit

All of this in only 2 years. CF can't just take what a mess Paramount had and transform it instantly.

^Thank you! I don't see how CGA could be the worst park in history though. It's just in a slump right now. I hope that Cedar Fair can help bring it out of that slump. I know it wont be the spectacular park it once was in the Marriott days, but it is not the worst in history.

CF can't just take what a mess Paramount had and transform it instantly.
Yeah, I know that. It can only make it worse. I sense a very bad future for CGA. If you want to see a park improve, just look at SFMM.

I will probably check out SFMM; I hope it is better than it was a few years ago when half the rides were always closed (as were half the concession stands).

But that is 300 miles away, so I'll stay on topic and continue to look at CGA. Unfortunately for Cedar Fair haters, evidence that Cedar Fair is going to make CGA worse is in short supply.

Besides that nice list a couple pages back, ride intervals are improved, the park looks as good as I've seen it, the upcoming coaster looks great, and thanks to Cedar Fair I will finally have a chance to see the park lit up at night.

CF can't just take what a mess Paramount had and transform it instantly.
Yeah, I know that. It can only make it worse. I sense a very bad future for CGA. If you want to see a park improve, just look at SFMM.

I couldn't agree less. What has SFMM done that has been so special?

-removed a ton of rides that were already closed before

-New trains and effects to X

-Thomas Town

-New paint on a couple rides

CF is definitely one of the best things that has happened to the park. I don't see how you can blame the park's problems on CF at all!