TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Sad to see a park go. But if the park was in fact missing its financial targets for years and had ongoing auxiliary issues (i.e. Parking with 49ers, Height/Construction requirements with Santa Clara), I could see Cedar Fair getting frustrated by holding onto an underperforming park and with more restrictions around their ability to invest and transform the park over time, and deciding to cut bait in a post-Covid environment to free money/capital for other parks. 

If nothing else, it looks like at least Flight Deck, Patriot, Railblazer, and Gold Striker, along with some flats, could be nice prizes to some of the other Cedar Fair parks if relocated. Hopefully they preserve Berserker as well. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vonni said:

^ I think what he meant was the park could close without notice/warning for good, like Six Flags did with Kentucky Kingdom.

yes, exactly what I meant, the provision for the company to decide to end the lease at anytime could quickly turn into another Six Flags/KK situation. I give it until 2027 not 2033.

Never got to visit this park, even though I always wanted to. I grew up in Chicago, and I was always intrigued by the sister park in California. Hope they  slice up rail pieces off the demon, I'd love to own a part of it. 

Carowinds gets dibs on the RMC. 

1 hour ago, ricklap77 said:

I visited the park once in 1999 while they were testing Stealth, the Vekoma flying dutchman coaster prototype!  

noonecares.gif.8a1c4c590864fad23a68c4b17b83950f.gif

• Haha 1

I visited the park once in 2008 and then again in 2019.
If you're in LA, I would suggest flying from Burbank to San Jose and then taking an Uber to the park. 
The flight is under an hour, and the San Jose airport is about ten minutes from Great America.

AND fares range from $59-79 each way on Southwest. Beats the driving, traffic, parking, etc. and they do multiple flights per day.

Pics from my flight! 

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

I'm not sure if any of you are aware, BUT the interesting thing is the Tuesday before the announcement about CGA closing, ACE announced that 2024 CoasterCon will be held at CGA/SFDK/SCruz boardwalk (no not a typo I meant 2024..... 2023 Con is at Dollywood/Carowinds)

Were they related? Coincidence? No idea. Maybe ACE had a heads up and decided to put Con there before it closes or maybe just random coincidence. I would think CF will give enough f**ks to keep it nice and keep all the coasters in tact to get through Con, but I may be wrong. If they do however, I would say once they get through that it might go downhill fast. I've never been to the park but looking forward to experiencing it then.

Also, I wonder how much it will impact attendance and therefore investment in SFDK once they lose what I assume is their main competition. Will it improve or go the same way eventually for the same reasons as we are all aware of land values in California? I don't know the differences between the two or any comparison of land value between the two parks but the thought did occur to me.

As a local that basically grew up in this park every season throughout the years this is incredibly disheartening to hear. I still remember when Flight Deck was Top Gun and we had Invertigo, doing the Goldstriker promoshoot, etc /sigh). Especially after the massive expansion plans were announced and them dumping a bunch of money on the waterpark. Although I suppose the writing has been on the wall for years and dumping haunt was another huge red flag.

That being said there's a video floating around the internet of the Santa Clara mayor saying the city had NO idea this sale was happening and the city council is extremely upset about it for multiple reasons (youth summer jobs, culture for the area, etc). She even mentioned that as of right now the land is staying zoned for theme park use, so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes out of the city's talks with both CF and Prologis. At the end of the day money talks and if Prologis can prove their new development will provide more jobs, greater economic impact for the city, etc they'll probably give in and re-zone the land. It's all still pretty up in the air at the moment though.

(Not sure if I'm allowed to be linking videos or not but it's here:)

• Thanks 2

That video is her way of saying “we need our kickbacks to approve the zoning change.”  There’s zero chance the park lasts the full 11 years.  50 years would be 2026, so I suspect it’s already being arranged to have that be the last season…

Stadium mixed use developments are all the rage, I bet prologis already has a deal with the niners.  Best case is they save the amphitheater and the carousel/fountain entrance as part of the inevitable development. 

• Like 1

It seems so stupid to not be able to afford a theme park because the area is too rich. Losing a park reduces the land value -- not enough to affect the property sold, but it doesn't seem far-fetched that lost property value could total $155M and lost tourism etc. another $155M in the next 5-10 years. However they could find another place for a park or turn one of their smaller parks into a more serious one.

10 hours ago, Jew said:

Stadium mixed use developments are all the rage, I bet prologis already has a deal with the niners.  Best case is they save the amphitheater and the carousel/fountain entrance as part of the inevitable development. 

Personally, I could see the carousel remain where it is because I've seen cities have stand-alone carousels in their town squares.  I want to say I have hope that Gold Striker would also remain as another stand-alone attraction in the development but I highly doubt the businesses would like that.  I'm very sure Prudential is really happy about the CGA news

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, andrew.mora said:

CGA sent me this Email.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for contacting California's Great America. Yes, there will be a 2023 season.

Not sure why you'd bother them asking if there'd be a season next year.  All of the information known about the sale indicates that the earliest they could possibly close would be 2 years away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2022 at 6:59 AM, AmyUD06 said:

Not sure why you'd bother them asking if there'd be a season next year.  All of the information known about the sale indicates that the earliest they could possibly close would be 2 years away.

To be fair, the sale itself came out of nowhere to begin with.  Though highly unlikely, There would be nothing stopping Prologis and Cedar Fair from another agreement to amend their lease to allow termination earlier than the 2 years currently required as the bare minimum…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a trip report for Saturday.  RailBlazer was closed for operation.  Gold Striker was testing until 10:15.  The park's newest ride Liberty Twirler wasn't open yet, even though it was supposed to open by the end of June.  I thought the new ride additions to the water park were nice, along with the various signs and murals.  There were eight new kids slides, which I did, and I thought they were fairly enjoyable, including a green one with colored translucent bands inside.  Moreover, the two new tube ones (Barracuda and Feeding Frenzy) were solid, with my preference being for the latter.  Lastly, I thought Shark Reef Plunge, the launch capsule drop ride, was definitely the best ride at the water park and provided an exhilarating rush.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 4:22 AM, VegasCoaster said:

Anyone know what took RailBlazer down the other day? 

It's knee was sprained from too much jerk, so it's been given a time out.  It's on it's last leg, sorta speak.

Check out the fabulous Demon, right up the street!

3 hours ago, rachelmadcow said:

This park has been on the verge of being closed since they installed and then relocated Stealth. 

This! I cannot think of any parks that have removed a Vekoma flyer and continued to succeed!