TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^I'm all for unique. If something of that nature happened, I'd be thrilled.

That said, I haven't heard any sort of evidence whatsoever that any R&D has gone into spicing up Impluse coasters. If I'm wrong (and I may be), let me know. But if not, then why waste time speculating about something where no work is being done?

Is it really a waste of time? Is it really?

Given the noise issues the park has dealt with (Goldstriker), getting a tunnel around some part of the proposed Impulse coaster like this would be awesome

I know I don't have a lot of pictures, but that's because I was having such a great time at this event. But I can say that this is a huge hit for the park and if you can make it out, do it.

P.S. if you want to see more of the event, it's on my snapchat. Feel free to add me, lol. jamesbaker538

IMG_1624.thumb.JPG.e42e824acfc0d5a2456465c7c25a6ce6.JPG

IMG_1627.thumb.JPG.9d5146d953db4ec234263fb2bff0c743.JPG

IMG_1629.thumb.JPG.d182ad1164f5abd23e9a89c74bc68a0c.JPG

They had a great beer selection for the Red White & Brews event.

At the park again getting more pictures of the RW&B event.

I'm back and I got the pictures, this time I got to try out some more of the food as well as more beer. They also had a deal goin on where when you get your tasting card fully punched, you get a free ride on the brew bike.

IMG_1630.thumb.JPG.71dd022ad5db2289ab297b2bb0db174a.JPG

IMG_1633.thumb.JPG.c69a15ad188e75eb40af4aa53d29765e.JPG

IMG_1634.thumb.JPG.e5f4418dbe16e84639019d0ecb88eca0.JPG

IMG_1635.thumb.JPG.3be19a72c666f1f16f63d15b9afe7bf0.JPG

IMG_1644.thumb.JPG.649c2264c7ab650a88feb245dc0017ed.JPG

IMG_1646.thumb.JPG.282996fb54e54b6a3c8a82c7c4d7575b.JPG

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.e61df7f0bb3cddfe50ca4f13f9ff9ada.JPG

IMG_1650.thumb.JPG.cadd9dc824b9db452157ee9c08965401.JPG

IMG_1653.thumb.JPG.a57b3e04b75f59fa3264d2d7675e15db.JPG

IMG_1654.thumb.JPG.5dd14ec16a8567c0bcc2804955fb16e2.JPG

IMG_1657.thumb.JPG.fb6d5d8934bbd19f0f6feaf0b7aeeb9b.JPG

I should've waited for this instead of going on the 17th. A ton of students were there and a bunch of rides(Grizzly, Endeavor, Woodstock, Rapids, WWF, etc.) were closed. A major bummer.

Gold Striker was killer. I had to ride that multiple times. I took my mom who has never been to an amusement park and last year she told me she wanted to ride at least one roller coaster before she dies(she's 61). She rode Patriot first (we were 2nd row)and she screamed bloody murder the whole ride. I didn't record anything but would love to see that ride pop up on someones video.

She almost had a panic attack when we were in line for Gold Striker due to hearing it shake as it passes near the queue. She also rode Psycho Mouse, screamed a few times, and she said she wasn't riding anymore roller coasters and had her fill. She initially wanted to ride Flight Deck and I wish I had took her on that first. The line was long so we went to Patriot instead.

I plan on going again later this year. I chickened out on Revolution/Endeavor in my youth and I really wanted to ride that but of course it was closed. I also didn't ride Flight Deck but I had rode that eons ago when it was Top Gun.

I was in shock that bottles of Coke in vending machines were 5 bucks. I should've bought those bottles but we didn't want to carry them around since we were gonna be on rides and I wasn't gonna risk leaving those unattended. I spent 60 bucks just on Coke. I bet parks love people like me. All she wanted was pretzels and those were reasonable and I don't eat at fairs/parks if I'm riding any rides. Been a lifelong tradition since getting sick once as a kid.

If the impulse is going to be a thing, it's worth remembering that not all Intamin Impulse coasters are shuttles.

Not that anyone *would* ever re-attempt the mechanical nightmare that Kings Dominion brought to life, but it's worth thinking about. It would be quite different to V2, and certainly something to visit for.

Probably wrong, but it's something that came to mind.

Not that anyone *would* ever re-attempt the mechanical nightmare that Kings Dominion brought to life, but it's worth thinking about.

I hope you're talking about Hypersonic because Volcano is not a mechanical nightmare. Does it have its downtime? Yes, but usually for 20 minutes and then it's up and running again.

Now Mean Streak and RMC's launch on the other hand...

I know that in one of the Masterplan documents, the description for the launched coaster sounds like an Impulse coaster, but I might be the only one that hopes that it isn't that type of ride. Not to say I don't like Impulses (I have been on V2 and Wicked Twister), I just find them to be okay as launched coasters. IMO, I'm hoping for something different and unique for CGA, especially since SFDK already has an Impulse with a unique design.

Callout! I'm at CGA for the day today! Visiting Cali for work and randomly got the day off at the last minute, so I'm here all by myself! Def not sad to be here alone, but if there are any locals who are free to meetup, give me a shout! IG is the best way to reach me, @jazzimm

My story will tell you where I am lol but you can DM me too!

I said this on the cedar fair discussion page and I will happily say it here. A hyper Lite GTX or Mega lite would be awesome. Anyone who complains about one of those can just leave now Maverick and Lighting Run are my number 1 and 2 favorite coasters

I am reluctant to think that the park would add something like Lightning Run if they are planning to get a 230+ foot hyper a few years down the road. Maybe this is the "completely new type of coaster" and Knott's could be getting an Intamin/renewed manufacturer (Mack)?

So much to think about. I can't wait until Cedar Fair's 2018 announcements.

I am reluctant to think that the park would add something like Lightning Run if they are planning to get a 230+ foot hyper a few years down the road.

I dont see why not, just like Carowinds, CP, and CW having both gigas and hypers. A mega-lite/GT-X would be a completely different experience than say a B&M hyper.

An RMC Raptor would make sense. Isn't that supossed to be around 100 feet? It's also new and innovative. I no longer think Knott's is getting one of these. They will be ready to start construction very soon and the Raptor is still in testing phase last we all heard. Whatever Knott's has planned has to approved, paid for and ready to go. But CGA appears to still be in the planning stages. Makes more sense than Knott's right now. That leaves me wondering what Knott's will get. I hope the renewed relationship isn't S&S. Anything but that piece of crap.