TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

If anyone's curious I did a brief interview with the CGA GM (Raul Rehnborg) about the background of the rezoning and how much of the plan they already have laid out. The article is over at Coaster101. http://www.coaster101.com/2017/05/10/when-will-californias-great-america-start-building-from-master-plan/

Combined with the photos from InsideCGA and what Matt Ouimet said on the earnings call, I guess it's basically confirmed we're getting a new coaster next year. Pretty exciting.

I had a crazy idea, but I think I might be onto something. What if the footers in Invertigarden are for an Intamin Sky Whirl 2.0?! The area was custom designed for that ride when it originally opened, and the foot marking seems to have a cluster, where a large base/support pole might be!!!! Plus, it'd be a great homeage to what was originally considered a groundbreaking ride, and would attract a lot of older folks who rode that ride as kids way back when, and now they'd get to take their kids on it and create some more new memories!!!

These companies and neighbors decide to move in next door to a theme park and have the audacity to complain about noise...SMH

the Gold Striker troubles were the result of the park not following an agreement they had with developers.

Long ago, when that land was sold by the park to developers, the loudest ride at the park was probably Demon.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't think the park or developers foresaw the fast pace of ride development which made them taller, louder, larger, etc. when they made the agreement.

As much as I love Intamin, an Impulse coaster would be an odd choice for CGA's first coaster addition since Goldstriker. The park's primary competition, SFDK, has had an Intamin Impulse for years, so I don't see the GP getting that excited about a new one. I know the space marked out for this coaster isn't huge (and it shows Wicked Twister in the expansion plan), but I'd be really surprised if they end up with an Impulse.

I don't see the park getting a clone of SFDK's impulse. There would have to be some tweak to the layout of the track, or, something else to make it stand out. Imagine if it was indoors with minimal lighting or special effects...

I don't see the park getting a clone of SFDK's impulse. There would have to be some tweak to the layout of the track, or, something else to make it stand out. Imagine if it was indoors with minimal lighting or special effects...

They could make it stand out by having a normal one. The one at SFDK is already tweaked, so normal by comparison would be different.

That said, personally, I feel even the regular model would not be too terribly different enough, and they could do better in terms of having something more of their own. But they are about as different as those models do get.

Now I really gotta go down to California. Problem is, it's across the continent from me.

Fortunately, airplanes exist.

Unfortunately, you have to deal with the TSA to get to them.

They could make it stand out by having a normal one. The one at SFDK is already tweaked, so normal by comparison would be different.

That said, personally, I feel even the regular model would not be too terribly different enough, and they could do better in terms of having something more of their own. But they are about as different as those models do get.

You're aware they can further "tweak" an already tweaked ride, right?

Now I really gotta go down to California. Problem is, it's across the continent from me.

Fortunately, airplanes exist.

Unfortunately, you have to deal with the TSA to get to them.

Absolutely agreed, but I'll leave that part of this discussion at that.

I do love the Impulse coasters, probably more than most. The holding brake on the one at Valleyfair is a great asset to that ride. With the number of changes planned for CGA, an Impulse is a very good way to start. It's compact, relatively low cost, and they always seem to be popular.

I am fully aware. But there really doesn't seem to be any reason for them to do so.

It would be cool to see an Impulse with a duel station, along the lines of Mr. Freeze. Increased capacity is always a good thing.

*Dual means two of something, duel means things are fighting each other.

But yeah, I agree, I think any shuttle coaster at a major theme park should have the option of a dual loading station!

I am fully aware. But there really doesn't seem to be any reason for them to do so.

You're right, because screw having anything unique.