TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The more I go on it, the more I want to put Patriot higher on my list than Flight Deck.

The floatiness in the loop is awesome, the low-to-the-ground swooping turns in and out of the turnaround/helix are finally smooth and fun, and I can't get enough of that S-turn into Corkscrew. That weirdly banked turnaround prior to the breaks is different and neat too. The awesome trains/repaint are just icing on the cake.

Hmm, I might need to go back and ride Patriot some more, I wouldn't have put it close to the fun level of Flight Deck. I liked it, but it was very light on the intensity (I went on it the first day though, maybe it's sped up).

I just visited this park two days ago. First off, I was surprised by the crowd level. It was quite light, even to the point of them posting a sign out front saying it was limited operations. When I asked what that meant, they said some of the smaller rides and kiddie rides would either not be open or on a limited schedule, but all the major rides would be open.

First off did multiple rides of Gold Striker. I've been on it about a year ago, and it's still a great ride and layout, but I am noticing it's getting a bit rougher. Still very ridable, but I also feel like this is what happened to Apocalypse at SFMM, and once it began, it went downhill and became painful quickly. I'm hoping for the best here, but I'd say ride it soon just in case.

Patriot was fun, but not ice smooth. It's good to remember this was the #2 coaster B&M ever built, so it's not their prime example. It's a bit rough. Ride has some decent pulls in the back, but the "floater" air in the corkscrew is really only noticeable in the front. I was glad to see shade screens for the platform queue, and that they were running two trains when it was barely a station wait--and this is during Spring Break (though one employee said half the schools had SB this past week, and the other half had it the week before--so I guess that really reduces the traditional crowds).

Still enjoy Tiki Twirl, though it was only open from 10-1:30. On the other side of the park, there was only one operator for Orbiter (an Enterprise) and the Flyer, so they were open in shifts... Flyer would be open for 2 hours, then Orbiter for 2 hours. So there you go about limited operations. But the park was pretty dead, so I can see why they'd do it.

I do forget how much I enjoy Flight Deck, especially the front row. That one hasn't lost any punch, and is in great shape.

I was happy to see a new (to me, anyway--though as I said, I haven't been at the park in a year) kiosk ordering system at the main food court. Made ordering food a much faster experience. I do remember before the lines could get pretty unmanageable, so this was a welcome change. It seems with these new kiosks, you can order food from any of the options in the court, even if the kiosk isn't immediately next to that station, so keep that in mind... just head to the shortest kiosk line. It makes sense when you're there. Just do know that if you pay cash, there will be an extra line to stand in. If using a card, it'd all be done at the kiosk only.

I'm gonna go out to the park today, see if I can't find any more of those stakes any where else in the area.

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.b9004860819417fb1ea4e59a7898136f.JPG

From what I could see by looking around.

IMG_1524.thumb.JPG.2c4e611c85bf0c437d73865f603e33c3.JPG

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.0ab33489154bff2e05b22a578b65085c.JPG

IMG_1528.thumb.JPG.5f845ef37ccf3b19566aaf5765ee11ad.JPG

IMG_1530.thumb.JPG.110b1394a59b4ce0aae2a3373ed49797.JPG

The stick says #10 and the master plan map lists that spot #10 which refers to a Steel Roller Coaster or Water Coaster.

Given that the area is kinda sorta close to Whitewater Falls, what I'm predicting is that they'll remove WWF in the future and use that space plus the Invertigarden for a water coaster. I could be wrong, but that's just my guess.

The stick says #10 and the master plan map lists that spot #10 which refers to a Steel Roller Coaster or Water Coaster.

Given that the area is kinda sorta close to Whitewater Falls, what I'm predicting is that they'll remove WWF in the future and use that space plus the Invertigarden for a water coaster. I could be wrong, but that's just my guess.

Looking further into it, I can definitely see now how a coaster going in to the spots of Invertigo and WWF wouldn't be that crazy.

229544139_IMG_70171.thumb.PNG.43a8b8fae1cc15d5dfbfc8469945dc60.PNG

It looks completely plausible.

Although we've seen this image before, I was able to find a new, less blurry picture of the proposed master plan with rides added, and there were a few new things I noticed. For example, there appears to be an impulse coaster in the area near the invertigarden, and also the removal of Woodstock express for a water slide expansion. The image shows a little more of the park, but it is still cut off well before drop tower and grizzly.20170501_110403.thumb.png.833211a89b6a8dc52cee6789737f116d.png

They did talk about getting a new log flume, which could mean getting rid of one. It would make more sense to remove WWF than LR. Plus, there's all that space behind WWF that's underutilized.

I doubt the people at Prudential would be happy to see another ride at this spot.

I'll be going to CGA in a couple weeks. My first time at the park since 1995. Its shocking how this park is a shell of its former self. I'm looking forward to Gold Striker and Patriot. Only rode Vortex once back in 95 and wasn't a fan.

They did talk about getting a new log flume, which could mean getting rid of one. It would make more sense to remove WWF than LR. Plus, there's all that space behind WWF that's underutilized.

I doubt the people at Prudential would be happy to see another ride at this spot.

A Tunnel here and there and some sand can solve that problem pretty easily.

Prudential just needs to go on somewhere lol! So annoying lol!

If tunnels are the easy solution, I hope they try to plus them and give them some cool LED lighting effects.

If tunnels are the easy solution, I hope they try to plus them and give them some cool LED lighting effects.

That's what I was thinking. If the coaster is an Intamin Impulse, I could see them adding a tunnel around the launching area and having some really sweet LED effects for when it launches.