TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I know it was a while ago, but I went to the second night of filming for the Winterfest commercial shoot and had a lot of fun! We met some cool people and hopefully will be in a few shots. We got to drive through some cool back areas of the park (and even drove through the park at one point). They kinda herded us around from shot to shot, and we did a lot of things in different areas of the park. They did a good job of keeping us entertained. It was a really cool experience; now I want to do a ride opening commercial shoot!

Also, completely agree that I'd love for them to add a second Mass Effect to the other side and have it be a different trip. That is the big thing its missing is the variety of like a Star Tours (although getting different actors at different times of day helps with that).

If I were to guess (especially from what my friend told me), the reason they probably didn't do randomized ride sequences was because it would give the actors a hard time to know which script to go off of (unlike ST where everything's already programmed in). However, the Mass Effect series was known for its branching storylines, so why wouldn't there be different ride experiences? The only variation there is comes from the live actors and the improvisations they give. I remember hearing that they were interested in adding more experiences to the ride (I could totally see them doing a "Holiday Getaway" version for next WinterFest), so refurbishing and reopening the unused theater would be a total benefit both content wise and capacity wise. I mean if the ride's theme is based around a space travel agency, why not have the other side serve as a gate to a spaceship travelling to somewhere else in the ME universe?

Good point with the live actor (and I assume having enough actors might also make adding a second one tricky). I guess the easy solution for multiple trips without making it too hard on the actor would be if it was like two alternating rides or a sequence (1,2,3,1,2,3) so it was easy to remember to move on to the next one, but a lot more material to memorize. Of course, a nice benefit of screen based attraction, they can always change or add to it without having to rebuild the ride.

I wonder if when the new Mass Effect game comes out in a couple months it could be a good reason to update things...

I wonder if when the new Mass Effect game comes out in a couple months it could be a good reason to update things...

I have heard from a few sources that New Earth was supposed to be a connecting bridge between ME3 and Andromeda, and there were a few ads for it being played on the queue TVs. It would be an interesting idea to do something based around the new game. I mean Star Tours did add new scenes when TFA released in 2015. So I could see CF/EA do something similar to promote Andromeda.

I assume having enough actors might also make adding a second one tricky

Probably. I mean I remember back in 2006 (the last year the other side was open) during one of my trips to the park, they didn't have enough staff to have the other side open.

Don't forget this, I believe was the first permanent installation of a Top Spin at GL in 1994(?) as Texas Twister. It most likely just reached the end of it's life. Kinda bummed I was hoping to take a spin on it this season or next and relive some GL memories.

I'm not surprised by this either. It was one of my least favorite rides, most of the effects barely work nowadays and you can't ride it unless you're carrying absolutely nothing (they don't have any special place to store your stuff). If I were to guess (coming from the recent expansion presentation and the ride's location), they might either use the space for the hyper coaster, or IMO, they could use that space (plus the space in between ME and Patriot) for the launched coaster that was in the plans, and maybe call it Tidal Wave as a throwback to the original coaster was in that same spot.

Geauga Lakes Texas Twister was 1993. It was the first permanent installation in the country.

It lasted a lot longer than many of the others. I know Dorney's is gone and I "Think" Worlds of Fun's is, too. That would make the last remaining HUSS models at Cedar Fair be at Kings Dominion and Valleyfair.

Geauga Lakes Texas Twister was 1993. It was the first permanent installation in the country.

It lasted a lot longer than many of the others. I know Dorney's is gone and I "Think" Worlds of Fun's is, too. That would make the last remaining HUSS models at Cedar Fair be at Kings Dominion and Valleyfair.

Yes, Worlds of Fun's Top Spin known as Thunderhawk was removed during the 2015/2016 off-season. It's a shame to see many Huss Top Spin rides removed over the past few years but, it is for good reason as many have become "mechanical nightmares" and cost the parks a lot to maintain. Hopefully an amazing ride replaces Fire Fall at California's Great America.

Yes, Worlds of Fun's Top Spin known as Thunderhawk was removed during the 2015/2016 off-season. It's a shame to see many Huss Top Spin rides removed over the past few years but, it is for good reason as many have become "mechanical nightmares" and cost the parks a lot to maintain. Hopefully an amazing ride replaces Fire Fall at California's Great America.

That's how I felt when Riptide was removed from Knott's last year. I figured it's just one more step to them removing Boomerang and using that space for a new thrill ride/coaster! They are fun rides, though.

It looks like CGA has a bright future, so I guess the park has to take a couple step backs before moving forward. Bring on that Hyper coaster!

So apparently the rezoning passed!

Santa Clara City Council voted unanimously to approve the rezoning of Great America, allowing the park to proceed with their Park Master Plan project. The rezoning will allow the park to build more, and larger rides, adopt a year-round operating schedule, and construct a dining and shopping complex outside of the gates of the park.

Concerns from the public and council regarding increases in noise and traffic were alleviated, thanks in no small part to the strong working relationship and trust Cedar Fair has developed with the City and its residents since taking stewardship of the park in 2006.

So I was watching the council meeting video (

) and noticed something in one of the slides being shown. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the pdf on the Santa Clara website so I just took a screenshot.

Is that a red coaster track I see over Rip Roaring Rapids?