TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I just wish CF would buy the land that the office spaces occupy. Not only would it give more room for expansion, but it would eliminate those pesky neighbors who complain about 'noise'. I'm sorry but when you are inside a building, a roller coaster is not going to be THAT loud. At least not loud enough to warrant complaints. But, I doubt any of that will happen any time soon.

Do you want to offer the millions (plural) for the land that I would rather have spent on rides? It isn't realistic for them to buy the offices, because 1. They don't want to move out of an already way too crowded silicon valley and 2. It would cost so much money.

I just wish CF would buy the land that the office spaces occupy. Not only would it give more room for expansion, but it would eliminate those pesky neighbors who complain about 'noise'. I'm sorry but when you are inside a building, a roller coaster is not going to be THAT loud. At least not loud enough to warrant complaints. But, I doubt any of that will happen any time soon.

Yup, same complaints at Dorney. The newly developed houses back behind the employee lot, they are some of the ones that complain about noise.

In reaction to the plan documents: Good! We need a good hyper coaster in this state that isn't a let down (Goliath waves ashamedly). If this went through, we'd have the tallest full circuit ride in the state, which is just what Great America needs: a real record holder.

^That would actually be pretty significant. Nowhere in the American west does there exist a good, long, full circuit hyper. Goliath is my lowest-ranked hyper coaster, even ranking a good deal lower than Steel Force. Goliath was actually a huge letdown to me even when it was the literally first hyper coaster I had ever ridden. This was because I went to SFMM for the first time relatively shortly after I first started getting into coasters. I had been reading online things about how coaster enthusiasts love hyper coasters so much, and I was excited after finding out Magic Mountain had a hyper coaster. After riding Goliath, I had no idea why enthusiasts kept talking about hyper coasters so much. I seriously thought that hypers must be the most overrated thing ever. However, I was given the opportunity to go to Cedar Point a few years later, and I was able to experience rides like Millennium Force and Magnum. (Neither of these are my favorite coasters now, but both are much better than Goliath). Then, I began to understand the hype for hypers.

So basically, I thought hyper coasters were stupid for a couple years because Goliath was the only one I had ridden. Now that I have ridden Skyrush, Nitro, Phantom's Revenge, Diamondback, Magnum, Millennium Force, Steel Force, Superman (SFA), Apollo's Chariot, I305, I232, and even Titan, I can really say that Goliath does not match the quality of any of these. (I will also be able to add on Raging Bull, the wood Goliath, Expedition GeForce, and Silver Star to this list, and will probably emerge with the same view).

I am glad I have gotten the opportunities to ride some real hyper coasters, and I would be every excited if California were to build one, even if it is a B&M. Also, this could be a major game changer, considering that CGA is often considered the butt of a lot of jokes about California theme parks. (Though the new-ish Gold Striker is very well liked). But if they built a coaster type that even Magic Mountain cannot offer, then that would change quite a lot. This might even shift the balance in power of which NorCal park is considered to have the best coasters. (Almost everyone in the Bay Area/Sacramento/Western Nevada area believes that Six Flags has the better coasters. But I really can see a hyper changing that, even if I would still prefer an RMC over a B&M hyper in my own opinion).

^I would say that, but I disagree with the implication of a ride like The Joker being superior to a B&M Hyper. I would take Raging Bull over The Joker any day. Even though Joker has that amazing first drop, I find the the rest of the ride to be ... whatever. I know I'm going to get eaten alive for saying this, but with TC around, I just have a hard time really enjoying Joker, despite not really expecting it to be better to begin with. It just really looses its speed after those first two hills.

Yes, I do believe that CGA would unequivocally become the better park with the addition of a B&M Hyper (don't hate, even the lame ones are still pretty awesome.) Although I would also like to see CGA compete with SFDK by adding a Star Flyer like Valleyfair and something to compete with Wonder Woman: Lasso of Truth. Even with Gold Striker, CGA still has a ways to go. It's going to take some effort to do so, but I'm sure they'll be able to do outdo SFDK (eventually).

Just spent all morning reading over this 20 year Master Plan for this park. There is a crap load of info in this 200+ page plan...Wow! I feel sorry for whoever had to type that whole thing out. lol. But glad to see this park getting some love. I was there for the first time this summer and wasn't too impressed. Spent about 5 hours and I was gone and went to Santa Cruz Boardwalk instead. The park definitely needs more rides and that hyper will most definitely make the park 10 times better and hopefully they RMC Grizzly. If all this happens, I'd probably make a return visit.

Since you probably spent more time reading through this than anyone else, was there anything noteworthy that we missed when skimming it? It's all interesting, even things about noise levels, parking on NFL game days and lighting... but aside from the fact that they're clearly looking to extend their hours and add those new rides, was there anything else that would be of interest to the masses?

Since you probably spent more time reading through this than anyone else, was there anything noteworthy that we missed when skimming it? It's all interesting, even things about noise levels, parking on NFL game days and lighting... but aside from the fact that they're clearly looking to extend their hours and add those new rides, was there anything else that would be of interest to the masses?

Not really, the part that surprised me the most was that Orbit is apparently louder than Gold Stiker

Wow, can't wait to see this "increase in noise near Grizzly", I'm sure it will be one fantastic hyper! It's interesting to me that Cedar Fair would be working with Huss for their "swing ride", and they already have Delirium, notice the Kings Dominion version is only 114ft while the Cedar Point version (MaXair) is 140ft, also its interesting how no height is given on their Slingshot.

Wow, can't wait to see this "increase in noise near Grizzly", I'm sure it will be one fantastic hyper! It's interesting to me that Cedar Fair would be working with Huss for their "swing ride", and they already have Delirium, notice the Kings Dominion version is only 114ft while the Cedar Point version (MaXair) is 140ft, also its interesting how no height is given on their Slingshot.

I'm holding out hope that the "Increase in noise" has to do with an RMC of Grizzly and the hyper will go somewhere else

It's interesting to me that Cedar Fair would be working with Huss for their "swing ride", and they already have Delirium, notice the Kings Dominion version is only 114ft while the Cedar Point version (MaXair) is 140ft, also its interesting how no height is given on their Slingshot.

If I had to guess, I would believe that this new swing ride would replace Delirium.

I'm holding out hope that the "Increase in noise" has to do with an RMC of Grizzly and the hyper will go somewhere else

That would be a waste of time and money.

Just spent all morning reading over this 20 year Master Plan for this park. There is a crap load of info in this 200+ page plan...Wow! I feel sorry for whoever had to type that whole thing out. lol. But glad to see this park getting some love. I was there for the first time this summer and wasn't too impressed. Spent about 5 hours and I was gone and went to Santa Cruz Boardwalk instead. The park definitely needs more rides and that hyper will most definitely make the park 10 times better and hopefully they RMC Grizzly. If all this happens, I'd probably make a return visit.

From looking at the document, it looks like the "20 year" thing is just being able to operate already existing rides and existing park hours for the next 20 years. If you look at estimated carbon dioxide emissions almost all of it will be in 2017. The proposed new rides may all be for 2017-18.

^You would hope they're planning on pulling a SFMM and just adding multiple major attractions in one year and advertising it extensively just like Magic did in 2011 with GL, S:EFK, and their Roller Skater. They would have to do that, or risk being one step behind the game once again, even if they did add one major attraction. By the way, if Great America did this, I would never feel a need to buy a SF season pass again for as long as I'm in NorCal.

It's interesting to me that Cedar Fair would be working with Huss for their "swing ride", and they already have Delirium, notice the Kings Dominion version is only 114ft while the Cedar Point version (MaXair) is 140ft, also its interesting how no height is given on their Slingshot.

If I had to guess, I would believe that this new swing ride would replace Delirium.

I'd be more than happy to let WOF take Delirium off their hands

A hyper at CGA was an idea that never even ever crossed my mind. Good for CGA!

But, were could they put it? By the retention pond ala Mako?

Before Patriot was announced, I was guessing that they'd eventually demolish Vortex and place a hyper in that spot plus the Invertigarden (and possibly Firefall). Looking at the aerial map of the park, two possible guesses to where it could go would either be by the Flight Deck pond area, or between GS and Demon (given they would probably remove Whitewater Falls).

Now I'm no CGA expert, but that cut-out image oddly puts the hyper right through where Vor--er, Patriot, currently resides.

But in seriousness, it reminds me of the location there was talk about it going before. So I guess we might have a huge hyper coaster looming right above Vortex? (won't get used to calling it anything else)

Good news for the "increase in noise" around Grizzly would be the sirens of the fire engines coming to put the fire out. Let's hope the damage is already done by the time they arrive.

A huge hyper coaster directly above Patriot would certainly be a sight to see! I think they could possibly use the open space where Invertigo used to sit for a station with the layout running out and back on the service road.

Either way, a hyper in the lineup would be huge, as there really isn't much in the rest of the state to offer anything like it (I'm not counting Goliath, I don't think it can compete). Great America is certainly headed in the right direction. Now all that's left to do is hope the master plan gets passed!

Now I'm no CGA expert, but that cut-out image oddly puts the hyper right through where Vor--er, Patriot, currently resides.

But in seriousness, it reminds me of the location there was talk about it going before. So I guess we might have a huge hyper coaster looming right above Vortex? (won't get used to calling it anything else)

I would figure that the Invertigarden is going to be used for some new ride, so it would make sense that a new coaster might start around there (unless that's where the tower ride would go). Is it possible to interpret the increase in noise around Grizzly and the location of the hyper coaster in the center of the skyline to mean Grizzly could be replaced by a hyper coaster? Although I guess if the "skyline" image is roughly accurate for the shadow part of the EIR (and assuming it is viewed from the front of the park), it would seem like those new attractions would be North/East of Drop Tower. Maybe over the Go-Karts or something? I'm not sure it could go over the back storage areas/parking lot as those are in "zone 4" according to the shade diagrams on page 159.

Ahh well, fun to speculate, hopefully we learn more in the near future. Either way, I assume the garden is not long for the park

Hey TPR Members! If you live in the Northern California area and would like to participate in a film shoot at California's Great America, they need your help! Here are the details about how to sign up. Please *READ* the entire text below and follow instructions! Thank you!

What is it?

California’s Great America is filming a TV Commercial for WinterFest 2017.

When is it?

2 night shoot: 12/28 and 12/29. You can sign up for one or both nights.

What time do I need to be there?

Call time is 2pm

Will I get *FREE* park tickets?

If you stay for six hours or more (8pm or later), you will receive 4 tickets good any day in 2017 (excl. Haunt & WinterFest). If you participate for at least six hours both nights, you will receive 8 tickets!

Who can go?

All ages – and we need families!

Will there be any rides?

You may be asked to ride the Carousel Columbia, ice skate (if you can’t, it’s okay), watch the WinterFest shows, and participate in some WinterFest activities

I'm a huge star and a demand food!

You’ll be fed a meal + snacks and drinks throughout the evening.

This sounds AWESOME! How do I sign up?

Anyone interested in being an extra should send an email to social@cagreatamerica.com WITH A PHOTO OF EVERYONE PARTICIPATING IN THE SHOOT

If selected, you will receive a follow-up email from the park with wardrobe requirements and arrival instructions.

Thank you everyone for your help!

--Robb Alvey

www.themeparkreview.com