TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Also, I wonder if this trend will start in the SF chain eventually?

I wouldn't count on it, at least with Green Lantern or Riddler's Revenge, since each of those parks already has a floorless. Given how Georgia Scorcher is widely regarded as one of the best stand-ups, I'd rule it out as well...leaving only Apocalypse and *maybe* Cobra at La Ronde if B&M would be willing to retrofit a coaster that isn't theirs (then again, they DID make Steel Dragon trains...).

I wouldn't count on it, at least with Green Lantern or Riddler's Revenge, since each of those parks already has a floorless. Given how Georgia Scorcher is widely regarded as one of the best stand-ups, I'd rule it out as well...leaving only Apocalypse and *maybe* Cobra at La Ronde if B&M would be willing to retrofit a coaster that isn't theirs (then again, they DID make Steel Dragon trains...).

Six flags could possibly just add sit down trains instead of having to add safety floors to the station.

I saw an article with someone who knows some people who are higher ups in La Ronde and they will be removing Cobra later in the 2017 season and they've been planning on it for 10 years but have never gotten around to it. Their will be no new coaster for 2017, but they're planning on/hoping for 2018

I thought of the same thing. I would assume it would mean Scream and Bizarro would be relocated to other parks, but that is a whole other rumor for a whole other time lol!

Is Carowinds the only other park in the CF chain that still has a stand up coaster?

I think so. Hopefully that'll be converted next year.

That would be great. Green Lantern's layout at Great Adventure has potential to be an incredible coaster.

I like the Carowinds Vortex. I actually hope they leave it alone. Green Lantern needs to die but it won't happen. We have Bizarro and Lantern is actually popular for some reason.

So is anyone actually gonna go on Sept. 5th and take their last stand on Vortex? I'm gonna be there to basically make up for all the times I didn't ride it.

Nah. If I wanted to hurt my balls, I'd forget to bring my cup to kickboxing.

CGA's haunt site is up and running. Only new thing I can see for this year is Fear:5150. Here's the description I took directly from the site. All credit goes to them for this.

Fear VR: 5150 is a groundbreaking and terrifying virtual reality experience. Strapped to a hospital wheelchair, you’re at the mercy of maniacal hospital staff. Using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, the threat is all around you in this cutting-edge new Haunt experience. The doctor will see you now.

Personally, I think it'll be great. I'm really looking forward to this as its a step in a direction that CGA hasn't done before. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this works out for them.

CGA's haunt site is up and running. Only new thing I can see for this year is Fear:5150. Here's the description I took directly from the site. All credit goes to them for this.

Fear VR: 5150 is a groundbreaking and terrifying virtual reality experience. Strapped to a hospital wheelchair, you’re at the mercy of maniacal hospital staff. Using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, the threat is all around you in this cutting-edge new Haunt experience. The doctor will see you now.

Personally, I think it'll be great. I'm really looking forward to this as its a step in a direction that CGA hasn't done before. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this works out for them.

There will be a new maze but it will be announced later

Edited by radrach

I am working at haunt this year (In zombie high) and at my orientation, they said there will be a new maze but it will be announced later. Just thought I'd add that.

Then are you sure you should even be posting about something the park may not be ready for ppl to know about? Jut my input.

I am working at haunt this year (In zombie high) and at my orientation, they said there will be a new maze but it will be announced later. Just thought I'd add that.

Then are you sure you should even be posting about something the park may not be ready for ppl to know about? Jut my input.

..chill I didn't say what maze. I don't even know. I just said there will be a new maze

I always feel like these kinds of questions are weird, but I'll ask anyway...

Has anyone been on opening day of haunt? How are the crowds? I wanna squeeze in a visit on Sep 23. I'm really just interested in rides, but they are only open for haunt.

Has anyone been on opening day of haunt? How are the crowds? I wanna squeeze in a visit on Sep 23. I'm really just interested in rides, but they are only open for haunt.

Don't worry about it. The lines are virtually non existant on opening night. the only thing that had more than a walk on wait was Gold Striker, and that was a 2 train wait. It's one of the best times to go, except for fall weekends

Did anyone see the new VR haunt experience at CGA this year?

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/haunt/ride/Fear-VR-5150/cat/Experiences

FearVR: 5150 is a groundbreaking and terrifying virtual reality experience. Strapped to a hospital wheelchair, you’re at the mercy of maniacal hospital staff. Using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, the threat is all around you in this cutting-edge new Haunt experience. The doctor will see you now.

FearVR: 5150 requires an additional fee and is not available with Fright Lane or Fright Lane Plus.

So looks like there is this, and the separate skeleton key rooms are what's new for us this year. What do you all think?

Don't worry about it. The lines are virtually non existant on opening night. the only thing that had more than a walk on wait was Gold Striker, and that was a 2 train wait. It's one of the best times to go, except for fall weekends

Thanks XSupremacy!

Strapped to a hospital wheelchair

I read this as you're literally sitting in a chair with VR headset. Maybe the chair moves a bit, maybe not.

Listen to this with your eyes closed and headphones on and I think you'll get the idea of what CGA might have, but add in the visuals of the VR. It's actually pretty unnerving.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I usually go opening weekend but for the last couple years the lines are empty but there's not a lot of actors. More than half the mazes there were maybe 3-5 actors. I also usually go the second weekend and it seems like they're way better staffed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Let's hope that with this floorless conversion comes an actual station building with a roof!

I've not been to GCA, but I am simply shocked to hear about their out in the open stations! Hopefully that's a little something that CF works on at this park over time, as I know it's something that I would certainly be looking into if I were them!

Let's hope that with this floorless conversion comes an actual station building with a roof!

I've not been to GCA, but I am simply shocked to hear about their out in the open stations! Hopefully that's a little something that CF works on at this park over time, as I know it's something that I would certainly be looking into if I were them!

Doubt this will happen. It's going to take a lot of money in re-zoning, permits, construction, etc.