TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I've never been to California, so I was wondering if anybody could give me a few tips about this park. I'll be visiting this park on a Sunday, July 3rd. I know this is a smaller Cedar Fair park, I'm more used to Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds etc...But as far as CGA goes, would I be able to ride everything in this park without fast lane? A typical weekend I wouldn't even ask, but this is the Fourth of July weekend I'm talking about. I figure Gold Striker will probably be the longest wait...But as long as I get one good ride in I'm good. Also, curious about how shaded this park is...Lot of shade, no shade...Extremely hot? Just trying to prepare for each park I go to in California and trying to maximize my experience at each one. Any info would be helpful, such as which rides to hit first and last, etc. Thanks!

You're right normally no problem, but Sunday the 3rd will probably be extremely busy. You'll still be able to ride all the coasters in one day, but the lines will be longer. I'd expect at least 45 for Flight Deck and 60 for Gold Striker (Btw aim for row 6 on Gold Striker if you get the chance). Demon is a bit unpredictable, usually its not too bad but can get out of hand on busy days.

Grizzly if you want to ride it is best to get right when it opens - it is notorious for some of the most ridiculous dispatch times (and thus slow moving lines) on the planet. A station wait can be over 30 minutes sometimes. You won't NEED fast lane, but it might be unpleasant without it. Fortunately the station is covered. Grizzly doesn't usually open until at least an hour after the park, they will post a sign outside the queue showing what time it will open. I usually hit Gold Striker first, then maybe Demon, and then if I want to ride Grizzly it's right about time for it to open.

Shade, or lack thereof, can be an issue at this park, particularly in the stations. Demon is the only coaster that really has a mostly shaded queue and station. Parts are in the sun, but overall it's pretty cool. Most of Gold Striker's queue is in the open except the station and one section in a tunnel. Vortex is partially shaded in the beginning but the station is open.

Flight Deck's queue is partially shaded in the middle when you go through the buildings, but the station is literally an oven. The sun just reflects and amplifies off of the plywood walls and bakes everyone standing in there, it's miserable. The ride itself is awesome though. Despite being one of the first B&M inverts ever built, it's also one of the best running. CGA has taken incredibly great care of it. Back row highly recommended.

With the potential for long lines and with how hot it has been lately, sunburn is a legitimate concern. Attached some photos of stations/queues when I was there on a hot day:

Thank you...I appreciate this info.

I brought my great america cup to knotts and they said cups can't be used between parks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I used my KD cup at Carowinds. It shouldn't matter. It's for all the Cedar Fair parks. If you go back, take it up with guest relations.

Just rode Goldstriker on the front row...Pretty good coaster...Definitely wasn't expecting that many laterals. I've rode better GCI's, but still a decent coaster.

Out of curiosity, what GCI(s) do you like more? I've enjoyed every GCI I've ever ridden, but Gold Striker is by far the best for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So mini trip report.

My friend and I hadn't been back to CGA to ride anything since like 2013, so we were interested to see how things had aged and check out Mass Effect. And most importantly.... Process my first ever Platinum Pass!!

We arrived at the park late and left late but the park was absolutely dead. Gold Striker was closed when we got there, but it opened later so we were happy.

Speaking of Mass Effect (spoilers?) I wanted to hate this ride, but I was pleasantly surprised. The live actor was really great, there were water effects, smells, smoke, and weird leg tickles and butt bumps that actually startled us, but it was all well worked into the plot. I've never played the game but I assume it was a good tribute to the game.

We rode Flight Deck twice, Gold Striker twice, Drop Zone and some of the flats. I noticed both coasters to be more rough than the last time I rode them, but they're both still great rides. Flight Deck melted our faces and Gold Striker is just good fun. We requested the back both times and were granted it.

image.thumb.jpeg.46a5b65f77d048e9829d2b5f4f1623e7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac84ee5f5ffa9efbbd87f468ff3a669f.jpeg

When you ride Gold Striker you go blurry

image.thumb.jpeg.dd0a68fc0aab9341f1bd8b332483c285.jpeg

STOKED. This means so many great parks are in my future.

Just rode Goldstriker on the front row...Pretty good coaster...Definitely wasn't expecting that many laterals. I've rode better GCI's, but still a decent coaster.

Out of curiosity, what GCI(s) do you like more? I've enjoyed every GCI I've ever ridden, but Gold Striker is by far the best for me.

I know this question isn't for me, but just to jump in with my opinion... I've been on American Thunder, Gold Striker, Gwazi, Kentucky Rumbler, Lightning Racer, Roar (SFA), Roar (SFDK), Thunderhead, White Lightning and Wildcat, and out of all those, I would say the only ones that are in the same league as Gold Striker are American Thunder, Thunderhead, and White Lightning ...and Gold Striker is probably slightly better than all three of those.

Just curious... can anyone tell me if GS is running one train still? Headed to the park tomorrow and want to plan ahead. Any other closures or anything you think I should be aware of? Haven't been to CGA in 4 years

Gold Striker was down yesterday. Not sure if it stayed down all day, I left mid-afternoon and it was still closed.

Firefall has been down since last week. It's currently stuck in the halfway up position.

Everything else was open yesterday.

Went to the park today as I said earlier. Got there at maybe 1030ish. Goldstriker was up and running so we made it our first ride. I'd never been on it before, and man is it fun. I wish it was even just 15 seconds or so longer, but holy hell does it just speed through the whole course. There is literally not a second of slowdown, it just kicks ass all the way through. Really a fun ride.

Also got my first ride on Mass Effect, and came away very impressed. I don't really love motion simulators, but this was very well done.

Firewall was the only thing I saw closed today.

Off to Magic Mountain for 2 days tomorrow!

Speaking of Mass Effect (spoilers?) I wanted to hate this ride, but I was pleasantly surprised. The live actor was really great, there were water effects, smells, smoke, and weird leg tickles and butt bumps that actually startled us, but it was all well worked into the plot. I've never played the game but I assume it was a good tribute to the game.

It is, lots of good call backs and references to the game and appearances by favorite characters. I got the feeling based on how much people around me liked it that you didn't need to get the inside references, but for anyone who enjoys the games they should love it. I was also really impressed by how good the live actor was. I was very skeptical of it as well until I rode it a couple weeks ago, I think it was right up there with Star Tours (I was also really impressed by how good the images were).

Went to the park today as I said earlier. Got there at maybe 1030ish. Goldstriker was up and running so we made it our first ride. I'd never been on it before, and man is it fun. I wish it was even just 15 seconds or so longer, but holy hell does it just speed through the whole course. There is literally not a second of slowdown, it just kicks A$$ all the way through. Really a fun ride.

Also got my first ride on Mass Effect, and came away very impressed. I don't really love motion simulators, but this was very well done.

That's my favorite thing about GS and why I love it, it feels fast for the entire ride.

Not sure if anyone else thought of this, but on Cedar Fair's mater plan, they mentioned a water coaster for Invertigarden. Does anyone else think that it could be a Pulsar clone?

It could be considering the amount of the land that is currently available. But, I'm not too sure if it would be a clone though as it could be built taller and faster creating more of a splash. But they also mention that a steel coaster could utilize that space as well. It's hard to say what will be going in the former spot of Invertigo. But, this plan is definitely a step into the right direction for a prosperous growth.

Not sure if anyone else thought of this, but on Cedar Fair's mater plan, they mentioned a water coaster for Invertigarden. Does anyone else think that it could be a Pulsar clone?

It could be considering the amount of the land that is currently available. But, I'm not too sure if it would be a clone though as it could be built taller and faster creating more of a splash. But they also mention that a steel coaster could utilize that space as well. It's hard to say what will be going in the former spot of Invertigo. But, this plan is definitely a step into the right direction for a prosperous growth.

I would love to see a Pulsar type ride too. Mack is one of the companies cedar fair works with too

The food at Taste of Orleans is amazing

I'm so jealous as I experienced Mardi Gras for my first time last year in New Orleans and have been craving some good NO style food since. They would do it the weekend I'm in Florida

I finally had free time to use my platinum pass for the first time next weekend which makes it even more bittersweet.

Anyone have any sweet pictures of the food?! I'd love to drool over them.

The food at Taste of Orleans is amazing

I'm so jealous as I experienced Mardi Gras for my first time last year in New Orleans and have been craving some good NO style food since. They would do it the weekend I'm in Florida

I finally had free time to use my platinum pass for the first time next weekend which makes it even more bittersweet.

Anyone have any sweet pictures of the food?! I'd love to drool over them.

It's going on next weekend as well if you're back in town then.