TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I usually am able to ask the operator if I can sit in the back of gold striker, but yesterday they made me sit in the middle. Has anyone else noticed this?

i just went on it for the first time friday, and the guy let me sit in the back.

I usually am able to ask the operator if I can sit in the back of gold striker, but yesterday they made me sit in the middle. Has anyone else noticed this?

i just went on it for the first time friday, and the guy let me sit in the back.

If you've been getting row preference on Gold Striker you've been unusually lucky. Due to the small station size they almost always mandate seating. In my experience they kinda go overboard with it mandating seating even with no line and practically empty trains.

If you've been getting row preference on Gold Striker you've been unusually lucky. Due to the small station size they almost always mandate seating. In my experience they kinda go overboard with it mandating seating even with no line and practically empty trains.

On the popular rides like Gold Striker there has to be assigned seating. I remember Flight Deck used to have assigned seating until they changed it. I've been riding GS since it first opened in 2013 and have never gotten the front row. If you do then consider yourself lucky.

It really is not hard to put a cover over them! Seems very odd that they don't, I never understood that. It reminds me of a RCT3 station!

My guess is that it is related to building codes...cover it and it might be treated the same as a regular building and be subject to other requirements that CGA is either unable to accommodate or too cheap to do it.

In any case, it's one of the worst things about CGA on a hot summer day!

As CGA being my home park I have questioned the uncovered stations for years. The worst thing is that it gets HOT in the South Bay in the summer and without that shade cover it is really ridiculous and it gets pretty hot. One time my brother got sunburnt after waiting in Flight Deck's station too long and in FD station there's no shade cover. Blame is on CGA

So I was on Google Earth and have found some places where CGA could add its next coaster/attraction. I took pictures of the places and drew the location of where they can be placed on. I hope you guys like it and I hope it comes true.

The third one of the three you posted is the most likely TBH, they could fit a good sized coaster there, like a B&M Hyper

So I was on Google Earth and have found some places where CGA could add its next coaster/attraction. I took pictures of the places and drew the location of where they can be placed on. I hope you guys like it and I hope it comes true.

The third one of the three you posted is the most likely TBH, they could fit a good sized coaster there, like a B&M Hyper

Totally. They could use Invertigo's old spot for its station and queue and have the layout go in that spot I circled.

I was at my home park California's Great America for physics day. It was my first visit in the 2016 season and I had a lot of fun. I love how the park is mentioning the park's 40th Birthday and even created a logo for it. I however wish that the park/ Cedar Fair would thow a 40th bday celebration like they did at Kings Dominion. I wish they would bring back a classic attraction or bring in a brand new major attraction for this season. So after all the talking, here's my official trip report.

image.thumb.jpeg.4a511e9f6e317ef38ef3feb6763393fe.jpeg

Going through downtown San Jose on the way to CGA

image.thumb.jpeg.51f74d9e4c89818eab363ab6d5237492.jpeg

Finally we made it to California's Great America

image.thumb.jpeg.0836aa025646d87fefb4c98a60bb23b5.jpeg

As we were walking in, we saw advertisements for Mass Effect New Earth. The parks new attraction

image.thumb.jpeg.b8f31d614ceb28fab06157e2eb644e0e.jpeg

Can we take a moment and realize that California's Great America is a beautiful park. Just Look at the artsy pictures I'm taking

image.thumb.jpeg.531eb1c249180f79de52c31fff785f5d.jpeg

Front entrance

image.thumb.jpeg.cbb7cd50ac8165decc6f59fe665e5c97.jpeg

So lovely. Love how Cedar Fair is well-maintaining this park

image.thumb.jpeg.1d942770a08ab1434fcb712ec77bbe25.jpeg

Good old B&M invert Flight Deck for the first ride. 23 years old and it's still running butter smooth

image.thumb.jpeg.a3e727e5d59b6f699d9ce8a21c7e3a7f.jpeg

Some nerd pics for your entertainment

image.thumb.jpeg.56e5d2a502a938bd6d6599fcecf97a61.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59c021a965c22b53a75bd7777f36acf6.jpeg

Gold Striker's line was too long so sadly we did not ride it

image.thumb.jpeg.4a361e38a3ae7bbffc6a271f8d643205.jpeg

Demon (AKA Turn Of The Century) was our second ride and surprisingly it was running VERY smooth

image.thumb.jpeg.0028671f2a8ce626ceb3ae88b7fd90a5.jpeg

With Demon being an old arrow custom looper you would expect it to be rough and have head banging but when we rode there wasn't really any head banging AT ALL. On the two vertical loops there was a little bit but on the corkscrew finale there was zero head banging! A great surprise for us

image.thumb.jpeg.ab2e9a002aec2e4e5ead38f5d0c41749.jpeg

ARROW NERD SHOT

image.thumb.jpeg.5ec4e35c10ad8041a26f31a22e7453cf.jpeg

They were showing Behemoth at CW on the fun TV

image.thumb.jpeg.47845be8b9d88f414c35d75e39e1d33b.jpeg

We were going to ride Grizzly but it was down all day

image.thumb.jpeg.26bee4b8e1d97a7f5f35d4bad16792d5.jpeg

Many coaster enthusiasts know that Grizzly has been ranked the worst wooden coaster in the world for 15 Years straight. I honestly do not think it's that bad at all. Though it is boring and bumpy I think that does not take away from the ride experience. Those who complain about this ride should go check out rides like the bandit at movie park Germany and all those other terrible Woodies.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c2363d595d0e36c6d2c5f2c2dd0443c.jpeg

We then went on drop tower. I personally think That the current color scheme to the ride is eh but I would love the original colours to return. Me and my friend Derek went on it and it was amazing! Love the airtime you experience on it

image.thumb.jpeg.1e10904c9735a131f8bf1b018be4cd97.jpeg

Had the hotdog and snacks stand by psyco mouse for lunch. I finally got the green souvenir bottle which was really cool

image.thumb.jpeg.8b59e7c65a2db4408a1b07c5de9528ca.jpeg

When I was eating I got a nice view of psycho mouse. Unfortunately I did not ride it. One of the slowest lines in the entire park

image.thumb.jpeg.9e6953496c1e50604d15b1254ba05ff9.jpeg

Gonna need a moment of silence, guys.

The old footers for the Vekoma flying Dutchman Stealth. It was the worlds first flying coaster when it first opened

image.thumb.jpeg.45b816cdeb55f4a69285e6d326fdfae1.jpeg

Stealth's old station that still stands

I got the chance to go in it and I will now document to all you guys what remains from stealth in the old station

image.thumb.png.f4eabebcc05b550361338ec58058baaf.png

The old queue line. Not entirely sure this is the old switchbacks but it looks like it

image.thumb.jpeg.1bb2d101e65e32a8cf75d1e8fa17a072.jpeg

These rectangular cement blocks that I circled in red used to be the manoeuvres attached to the train that would actually lower it down in the laying down position

image.thumb.jpeg.765249d37bd4eb1986d073b0f68a2bdc.jpeg

And finally the two liness that you see in the concrete. That used to be where the track was. Concrete was filled up in the spot when they were building Boomerang Bay

image.thumb.jpeg.bef4873d190d8be9d64ecd030e107dff.jpeg

Finally got to ride their new attraction Mass Effect New Earth

image.thumb.jpeg.df53f8c02bd02d097408a06ab9389047.jpeg

Excellent theming in the queue!

Mass Effect was great! The 4D view was awesome and I loved it! I definitely recommend you check this out because it is amazing!

image.thumb.jpeg.ce48ed264134d3a9e461687222d45f1a.jpeg

Gonna need another moment of silence ;(

The old Vekoma Invertigo spot. Another ride in the CGA graveyard

image.thumb.jpeg.ac01962b28de7cbb1f6ce3d1be55ff1c.jpeg

Me my friend Dustin rode the celebration swings right near the front entrance so I wanted to go ride vortex, I mean, Groin Destroyer: The Ride, to see if it's gotten any better

image.thumb.jpeg.bee8256713478f3800a690750fb436cb.jpeg

I rode it in the third row and it was rough as usual. Still got a great nerd shot while waiting in the queue. Let's hope floorless Vortex happens

image.thumb.jpeg.84e0474d13199f821e53b8129f14baf7.jpeg

I then left at 3 o'clock. Thanks for a great day Great America. I'll be back very soon

image.thumb.jpeg.eb3a0a66c9436d7cb2e38156dc5c9e4f.jpeg

Before I left I had to get one more shot of Flight Deck

image.thumb.jpeg.ffca00568cf10150711b8c824220a5c1.jpeg

And Levis Stadium

image.thumb.jpeg.9c4e94948d31dec9defb372d2a46f3e1.jpeg

And a Dick Kinzel trash can..

Edited by MScoasters

On the popular rides like Gold Striker there has to be assigned seating. I remember Flight Deck used to have assigned seating until they changed it. I've been riding GS since it first opened in 2013 and have never gotten the front row. If you do then consider yourself lucky.

Yep, I've also never gotten the front row (or the very back) on GS despite many many rides on it. I dream of someday it being less popular so I finally can.

I really need to get out to the park soon to check out Mass Effect, it sounds so good (especially for a huge Mass Effect fan).

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been to California, so I was wondering if anybody could give me a few tips about this park. I'll be visiting this park on a Sunday, July 3rd. I know this is a smaller Cedar Fair park, I'm more used to Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds etc...But as far as CGA goes, would I be able to ride everything in this park without fast lane? A typical weekend I wouldn't even ask, but this is the Fourth of July weekend I'm talking about. I figure Gold Striker will probably be the longest wait...But as long as I get one good ride in I'm good. Also, curious about how shaded this park is...Lot of shade, no shade...Extremely hot? Just trying to prepare for each park I go to in California and trying to maximize my experience at each one. Any info would be helpful, such as which rides to hit first and last, etc. Thanks!

I've never been to California, so I was wondering if anybody could give me a few tips about this park. I'll be visiting this park on a Sunday, July 3rd. I know this is a smaller Cedar Fair park, I'm more used to Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds etc...But as far as CGA goes, would I be able to ride everything in this park without fast lane? A typical weekend I wouldn't even ask, but this is the Fourth of July weekend I'm talking about. I figure Gold Striker will probably be the longest wait...But as long as I get one good ride in I'm good. Also, curious about how shaded this park is...Lot of shade, no shade...Extremely hot? Just trying to prepare for each park I go to in California and trying to maximize my experience at each one. Any info would be helpful, such as which rides to hit first and last, etc. Thanks!

You should be able to easily hit everything. Gold Striker's queue usually doesn't get too long. Ride Flight Deck in the front. Vortex, Demon, and Grizzly all suck wherever you sit. Psycho Mouse has terrible capacity. The lines have no shade

Definitely ride Gold Striker first. The line is usually long and it's good to get on it first.

Flight Deck is a walk on earlier in the day but later on the line gets long.

If you want to ride Vortex, ride in the one of the first 3 rows. Any other row is BRUTAL

And one more thing, Grizzly isn't it that bad as people say it is so check it out if you want

• 2 weeks later...

You're right normally no problem, but Sunday the 3rd will probably be extremely busy. You'll still be able to ride all the coasters in one day, but the lines will be longer. I'd expect at least 45 for Flight Deck and 60 for Gold Striker (Btw aim for row 6 on Gold Striker if you get the chance). Demon is a bit unpredictable, usually its not too bad but can get out of hand on busy days.

Grizzly if you want to ride it is best to get right when it opens - it is notorious for some of the most ridiculous dispatch times (and thus slow moving lines) on the planet. A station wait can be over 30 minutes sometimes. You won't NEED fast lane, but it might be unpleasant without it. Fortunately the station is covered. Grizzly doesn't usually open until at least an hour after the park, they will post a sign outside the queue showing what time it will open. I usually hit Gold Striker first, then maybe Demon, and then if I want to ride Grizzly it's right about time for it to open.

Shade, or lack thereof, can be an issue at this park, particularly in the stations. Demon is the only coaster that really has a mostly shaded queue and station. Parts are in the sun, but overall it's pretty cool. Most of Gold Striker's queue is in the open except the station and one section in a tunnel. Vortex is partially shaded in the beginning but the station is open.

Flight Deck's queue is partially shaded in the middle when you go through the buildings, but the station is literally an oven. The sun just reflects and amplifies off of the plywood walls and bakes everyone standing in there, it's miserable. The ride itself is awesome though. Despite being one of the first B&M inverts ever built, it's also one of the best running. CGA has taken incredibly great care of it. Back row highly recommended.

With the potential for long lines and with how hot it has been lately, sunburn is a legitimate concern. Attached some photos of stations/queues when I was there on a hot day:

IMG_4147.thumb.JPG.8e0361694ba750c1da85c32976dbdbb1.JPG

IMG_4148.thumb.JPG.4d5352fcc22d752df3e83f2086d969db.JPG

IMG_4150.thumb.JPG.7c9f4b28ccbca6e2eb83f88a68aefc4e.JPG

IMG_4151.thumb.JPG.cf403e4b3197b717ae42602b9eac0ee7.JPG

IMG_4153.thumb.JPG.18b4848eadcf20d4d9f86b312f51982c.JPG

IMG_4154.thumb.JPG.b68fbd51e83599314c0f0927fe7c4892.JPG

IMG_4155.thumb.JPG.94caf8ac3567b94423570510615230f8.JPG

IMG_4161.thumb.JPG.2debe824b5128e05ea017f94fc2939be.JPG

IMG_4162.thumb.JPG.c095e453c8eaa48034f60126778b9106.JPG

IMG_4166.thumb.JPG.672b7d1982679948cc07a9fa48d3d422.JPG

^Last three the OP won't have to worry about if he has any sense of self-preservation

But no joke, waiting in the Flight Deck station for your row is prime sunburnland.

Also, when the Cedar Fair parks sell 2017 passes in the fall, do they work for the remainder of 2016 or do you need a 2016 pass as well?

^Last three the OP won't have to worry about if he has any sense of self-preservation

But no joke, waiting in the Flight Deck station for your row is prime sunburnland.

Also, when the Cedar Fair parks sell 2017 passes in the fall, do they work for the remainder of 2016 or do you need a 2016 pass as well?

They'll work immediately.

If he's coming from another state, he'll probably want all the credits even if he only rides once. Vortex really isn't that bad if you turn your head into the turns.

If he's coming from another state, he'll probably want all the credits even if he only rides once. Vortex really isn't that bad if you turn your head into the turns.

Are you sure? Because I read on another site discussing last year's sale that they were running a deal that you could go once in 2015 with the purchase of a new 2016 Platinum Pass. This was a site discussing KI but I thought Platinum Passes always worked the same.

Are you sure? Because I read on another site discussing last year's sale that they were running a deal that you could go once in 2015 with the purchase of a new 2016 Platinum Pass. This was a site discussing KI but I thought Platinum Passes always worked the same.

Yeah, I bought a Platinum Pass for an upcoming year and used it right away. I'm not 100% that the same applies to regular or gold, but I know it does for Platinum because I've done it. This was I think 2013, so unless it's changed since then.

Last year's deal was if you bought a '16 gold season pass, you got 1 free visit in '15. All that was included in that '15 visit was admission. Parking and the other Gold perks like Dinos Alive admission were not included. You had to wait until '16 to get those.

Last year's deal was if you bought a '16 gold season pass, you got 1 free visit in '15. All that was included in that '15 visit was admission. Parking and the other Gold perks like Dinos Alive admission were not included. You had to wait until '16 to get those.

That sounds like what I read but is it the same with Platinum Passes too? I'm definitely gonna need more than one visit this year, I have 3-4 Cedar Fair parks planned this fall. It just sucks to spend the $200 only to shell out $200 for next year as well. I mind as well visit CGA this summer if I'm gonna do it, get the most for my money. I assume it doesn't matter what CF park I purchase/process at?

It's this stuff that really makes me appreciate the Six Flags Gold Pass sales.

That sounds like what I read but is it the same with Platinum Passes too? I'm definitely gonna need more than one visit this year, I have 3-4 Cedar Fair parks planned this fall. It just sucks to spend the $200 only to shell out $200 for next year as well. I mind as well visit CGA this summer if I'm gonna do it, get the most for my money. I assume it doesn't matter what CF park I purchase/process at?

It's this stuff that really makes me appreciate the Six Flags Gold Pass sales.

All that matters is that you process it at the same park you purchase it at. Once you've processed it, it's not park-centric at all. The platinum pass is a "Cedar Fair" pass versus the others which are CGA passes. When I bought mine in 2013 at CGA, the photo they took at CGA that shows up to staff when you scan your card was visible to the staff at Cedar Point too. I thought to myself never would something that handy work at SF.

My only gripe with the platinum pass is the price for those of us on the west coast. They really need a "west coast pass" that works at just CGA and KBF for maybe $120 or so. I visit both of those parks often but almost never the others and I think a lot of people out here are the same. Its hard to justify the cost of a platinum pass unless you're going cross country. I only bought mine in '13 because at Cedar Point the platinum pass gets you an hour early park entry, or did back then so that was worth the price for me then.

Here's a trip report for yesterday. Gold Striker was running just one train in the morning, which caused the wait to be about an hour-and-a-half, the longest I've ever waited for it. What was good, though, is the ride itself seemed to be going faster than I've ever experienced it. In the afternoon, Vortex also was running just one train, but the wait wasn't that long. When I wanted to do FireFall it was closed; the same thing happened with Drop Tower. Since I forgot to bring a towel for Boomerang Bay, I bought a nicely colored and designed Great America one for almost $20. Didn't do Mass Effect because the line looked too long. They now have a self-service kiosk at the Food Festival food court.

Edited by moviemansig

All that matters is that you process it at the same park you purchase it at. Once you've processed it, it's not park-centric at all. The platinum pass is a "Cedar Fair" pass versus the others which are CGA passes. When I bought mine in 2013 at CGA, the photo they took at CGA that shows up to staff when you scan your card was visible to the staff at Cedar Point too. I thought to myself never would something that handy work at SF.

My only gripe with the platinum pass is the price for those of us on the west coast. They really need a "west coast pass" that works at just CGA and KBF for maybe $120 or so. I visit both of those parks often but almost never the others and I think a lot of people out here are the same. Its hard to justify the cost of a platinum pass unless you're going cross country. I only bought mine in '13 because at Cedar Point the platinum pass gets you an hour early park entry, or did back then so that was worth the price for me then.

Thanks for the info!

I agree with you, which is why I've never bought a Platinum Pass. However, I'm moving to Ohio later this year and might stop at WoF on the way. I think a Platinum Pass is definitely worth it in Ohio with KI as my home park and CP not too far away and with early entry, ERT, and Haunt at those parks. I also get free Dinosaurs Alive They probably should sell an Ohio pass, now that you mention a CA pass, but they won't because people will pay for Platinum because of Cedar Point.