TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

It really is not hard to put a cover over them! Seems very odd that they don't, I never understood that. It reminds me of a RCT3 station!

we'll see what it looks like opening day, they're still working on it. I'm hoping the seats move better than the last ones!

It really is not hard to put a cover over them! Seems very odd that they don't, I never understood that. It reminds me of a RCT3 station!

My guess is that it is related to building codes...cover it and it might be treated the same as a regular building and be subject to other requirements that CGA is either unable to accommodate or too cheap to do it.

In any case, it's one of the worst things about CGA on a hot summer day!

Hearing about all the tech that's going into this ride is really psyching me up for it. Jut the fact that they can play 70 different sounds simultaneously blows my mind. I need to get back out to the park.

I'm totally with you on this. The 3D LED screen alone has me itching to ride this thing!

Hearing about all the tech that's going into this ride is really psyching me up for it. Jut the fact that they can play 70 different sounds simultaneously blows my mind. I need to get back out to the park.

I'm totally with you on this. The 3D LED screen alone has me itching to ride this thing!

I jIts hop the guy in the middle isn't too distracting

My guess is that it is related to building codes...cover it and it might be treated the same as a regular building and be subject to other requirements that CGA is either unable to accommodate or too cheap to do it.

In any case, it's one of the worst things about CGA on a hot summer day!

You are correct, it is related to building codes. A queue structure is required to have fire sprinklers and be permitted just like any other structure. Look at Grizzly, there is the roof plus lighting and fire suppression (sprinklers). The lights are needed for night operation. If you are thinking, what about a fabric roof...look at Drop Tower...it also has lights and fire suppression. While adding fire sprinklers and lights along with a simple roof don't cost a huge amount, they did cost more then the park was willing to spend for something with minimal to no Return on Investment (ROI).

To be clear, the park has looked at adding roofs to the White Water Falls queue and other rides after the fact, but deemed the cost not worth it at that time. As to why they continued to add rides without shade...who knows. Usually small expenses like that are easy to add in to a Capital Expenditure (CapEx) project. But CGA also made the least profit in the Paramount chain and I imagine it under performs for CF as well. Meaning, even things like shade are sometimes cut in order to give a park a CapEx project (new ride) while spending as little on the project as possible to save money.

Due to the MycokeRewards promotion for Cedar Fair parks, I've got a code for a free ticket to use at most of Cedar Fair owned parks. Gonna wait till Mass Effect opens though to bother processing and using it though. Haven't been back to the park in over a decade now I think.

So I was on Google Earth and have found some places where CGA could add its next coaster/attraction. I took pictures of the places and drew the location of where they can be placed on. I hope you guys like it and I hope it comes true.

image.thumb.jpeg.06f55ebf840ce1dcc53d169328cbeb63.jpeg

This area where Invertigo used to be has been long rumored to get a coaster. If they did put a coaster in that spot they would have to remove Vortex but no one would care. It's a piece of garbage.

image.thumb.jpeg.b98e748c0cc3b47dc2eeb415df44070f.jpeg

Right behind Flight Deck there's this pond and some open space. They can totally add a coaster here. B&M please

image.thumb.jpeg.9b50e330027dc2dee4a0291391e5e4ce.jpeg

This is probably the least likely spot to add a coaster. It's this piece of land next to Gold Striker and Demon. They can always add a flat ride here. This spot is right next to office buildings and flat rides don't make a lot of noise, GENIUS! I also thought that they could've expanded Gold Striker's layout in this area when it was being planned. But wait, OFFICE BUILDINGS GONNA COMMPLAIN BOUT NOISE! Hope you guys liked this post!

• 2 weeks later...
I usually am able to ask the operator if I can sit in the back of gold striker, but yesterday they made me sit in the middle. Has anyone else noticed this?

If there were already people queued to sit in the back, there isn't really a place for you to stand.

I usually am able to ask the operator if I can sit in the back of gold striker, but yesterday they made me sit in the middle. Has anyone else noticed this?

If there were already people queued to sit in the back, there isn't really a place for you to stand.

There weren't though. thats the weird thing

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to know more details from someone who's been on it.

Totally this. I mainly want to know how much of it's based upon Commander Shepard, their crew and The Reapers. The ride certainly needs some action but the Mass Effect universe is really well made to where it is possible to just chill.

Totally this. I mainly want to know how much of it's based upon Commander Shepard, their crew and The Reapers. The ride certainly needs some action but the Mass Effect universe is really well made to where it is possible to just chill.

I'll run through this as close to your list as possible. Commander shepherds name gets dropped. Garrus and Wrex are featured prominently. the reapers are the bad guys. there is a lot of action going on in it. The effects and visuals are about Disney Level. if you can, it is definitely worth it to get down here and ride it

I'll run through this as close to your list as possible. Commander shepherds name gets dropped. Garrus and Wrex are featured prominently. the reapers are the bad guys. there is a lot of action going on in it. The effects and visuals are about Disney Level. if you can, it is definitely worth it to get down here and ride it

All of that, the effects from a tech standpoint were amazing. I don't want to give away too much though, but it was definitely action packed, felt like star tours in the beginning a little bit. My only complaint is how short it was, other than that it's a winner