TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Just a hunch: the target market for X-mas events are not thrill seekers.

You're 100% right, but even 8,9,10 year old kids enjoy coasters. I'm not asking for the entire park but just adding Flight Deck would make this much more appealing for older kids, plus B&M inverts can absolutely haul in cold weather (Batman at Great Adventure tried to kill us during Holiday in the Park, lol)

Having 1 coaster open is a bit underwhelming. I agree with you 100% about the demographics changing for Holiday events but a second coaster makes this much more appealing... not just for thrill seekers, but for families with older kids.

You would honestly be surprised how many kids are scared of roller coasters. Opening one more coaster isn't suddenly going to make a family decide to visit. They'll open more rides next year if they find the event to be a success---no need to risk it now with something so far from what they are targeting.

Given my past experiences with opening days at the park, I say it might be very busy and operations may be very slow as well. I might skip opening day and go the following saturday unless they're planning some sort of opening ceremony for Mass Effect.

Really.... I figured it'd be busier Saturday and Sunday vs Friday. I've already planned a mini vacation to there and SCBB. HMMMM......

I never had an issue with crowds on opening day until people get out of work/school. Even then, it's doable. Saturday and Sunday get PACKED.

I guess the problems I've had with opening day usually had slow operations, long lines, and problems with the new employees/ride ops. Plus last year on opening day I had to wait in line for about 2-3 hours just to get a simple hot dog.

• 3 weeks later...

Opening day is almost here, if this rainy weather keeps up or at least threatens to for opening day, the crowds will be scared away. I've had plenty of experience with this, to the point where I rode GS 30-40 times in a day. Who's planning on attending, I'll be there (rain or shine) with my gold striker backpack, might wear my terminator sweater to protect myself.

I might go. Even though I learned my lesson from last year's opening day and still haven't caught up with the entire Mass Effect series yet, I'd like to check out the New Earth 4D. I'm hoping they do some sort of opening ceremony for it, the lack of info on this new ride is starting to worry me.

And none of the news said anything about this? I was surprised CGA actually had a booth at a Comic-Con. I'm a bit disappointed since the official website and social media says it would open on opening day, but at the same time I shouldn't be surprised, I mean Gold Striker didn't open until months after opening day 2013. On the bright side I at least have more time to catch up with the ME series.

Edited by WayCool64

Opening day might be pretty busy, being "Good Friday" and all.

A majority of schools don't get this day off. Usually only private/religious schools do. I don't expect it to be too busy until late afternoon/early evening.

Opening day might be pretty busy, being "Good Friday" and all.

A majority of schools don't get this day off. Usually only private/religious schools do. I don't expect it to be too busy until late afternoon/early evening.

Indeed this is very true, so I'd say at like around 3-4 maybe earlier is when it'll pick up a bit.

Welp, I just found out Mass Effect won't be open on opening day. The CGA PR folks told me an opening date should be announced very soon, but I think I'll hold off on my first trip to the park until it's open. Hopefully it's only a few weeks away (maybe someone who does go opening day will be able to tell how close they are, heh).

Welp, I just found out Mass Effect won't be open on opening day. The CGA PR folks told me an opening date should be announced very soon, but I think I'll hold off on my first trip to the park until it's open. Hopefully it's only a few weeks away (maybe someone who does go opening day will be able to tell how close they are, heh).

Same here. Much as I love visiting the park, there's no point for me to go right now if ME isn't open yet. And as I said before, the delay gives me the advantage to catch up with the ME series (I'm about halfway into ME2, and still need to play ME3), not to mention irl things I gotta take care of at the moment.