TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

http://greatamericanthrills.net/2016/02/09/californias-great-america-wont-become-a-lost-park/

According to this article, CGA is STAYING!!!! Mayor said he never saw a presentation from the Irvine Company, and how he wants the park to stay! He was also there opening day!

Politicians never lie, right?

If Irvine Company wins the auction for the land, Cedar Fair executives have a fiduciary duty to at least listen to the inevitable offer to buy them out of their lease. If the Irvine Company offered them an absurd amount of money, they can't turn it down without facing a shareholder revolt...

Well they just showed off the new ride system for Mass Effect. Turns out the old system is gone for good.

CavBrEwUEAAsopr.jpg:large

I was kinda hoping they'd work with Simex-Iwerks on the new system since I know they had an updated version of the old one that has built-in 4D effects. But I'm just glad they didn't get Triotech to do it. Though I'm unsure who actually developed this. Judging from this picture, it looks like the ride might not have as much motion as the previous system (mainly due to the lack of seat belts). I am interested to see how it will work in action.

UPDATE: After doing some research, I believe I can 99% confirm these seats are MediaMation's MX4D system

SFDK got some of their old motion seats to help get Pacific Rim opened.

I really really really hope California's Great America won't close cause it will completely destroy California just like Texas/Houston has been destroyed & Houston is a suckiest place to live or be in, CGA is a great park with good charm!

Are you saying that California's Great America has become the "Six Flags Astroworld" of Cedar Fair?

If they aren't saying it, I'll say it.

I don't know what Cedar Fairs goal was when they took over management but apart from a new CGI and this upgrade to the theater. I'm still unsure what there plan is other then get as much money as they can, and that could easily come in the form of selling/getting out of the area. I don't know why I love to hate on CGA, other then having Six flags passes for the last 2 years and levi stadium "next" to it. I always had a fun time at the park when I had passes for it.

No No No No, I just said that I hope California's Great America will never close, & that Houston sucks without Astroworld that's all i said!
Yes, because the San Francisco Bay Area has absolutely nothing of value to do except go to California's Great America

I don't think it'd be a huge loss to the SF Bay Area as much as it would the San Jose/Santa Clara area (along with most of the central California area). This is the closest theme park to my hometown (yeah, there's also Gilroy Gardens, but that's not my thing anymore), and it would really suck if they managed to shut it down. I would do anything in the world just to let CGA live.

http://greatamericanthrills.net/2016/02/09/californias-great-america-wont-become-a-lost-park/

According to this article, CGA is STAYING!!!! Mayor said he never saw a presentation from the Irvine Company, and how he wants the park to stay! He was also there opening day!

Politicians never lie, right?

I can potentially buy the "wanting the park to stay" part, but I have my doubts over the "never saw the presentation" part. Though it would be interesting if history is really repeating itself between the city of Santa Clara and CGA

As someone who lived in he San Jose/Santa Clara for 2 years being originally for SoCal being surrounded by things to do and parks to visit I can definitely say that the Bay Area would lose a major major attraction would CGA ever close. There simply isn't much to do up in NorCal come winter time and I always found myself at CGA whenever I had a chance when it was open for the season.

As someone who lived in he San Jose/Santa Clara for 2 years being originally for SoCal being surrounded by things to do and parks to visit I can definitely say that the Bay Area would lose a major major attraction would CGA ever close. There simply isn't much to do up in NorCal come winter time and I always found myself at CGA whenever I had a chance when it was open for the season.

Two NFL teams, Two NBA teams, a NHL team in san jose. non sports things in the bay area peirs, aquariums, science museums malls, like at least 3 golf lands in the bay area (mini-golf), a lot of state parks, yosemite isn't that populated in the winter and I hear getting a campsite at Camp 4 (rock climbers perfer to camp there) is easy. though if anyone goes i'd recommend having micro-spike crampon's for their shoes.

CGA closing and everything getting removed would suck for people who come here and however many local fans, but the bay area could easily survive without it.

I'm kinda curious how they'll pull off the ice skating in front of the carousel. Does this mean they'll be removing the fountains or are they going to place some sort of artificial ice rink over the pool?

Either way, this event sounds interesting.

Serious question for the locals... if you lived in San Francisco is there any reason you'd go to this event and not Holiday in the Park at Six Flags?

I was thrilled when I saw the posting but after reading the press release I'm just confused and underwhelmed. My assumption is that they're going to block off the park behind Great America theater and the bridge over the access road that leads to Centrifuge, the Mouse and the Drop Tower. If they don't they're just going to have a ton of dead space everywhere.

I tend to think they're planning on having one adult coaster open because if they were planning on opening Flight Deck they would have said that.

So they mentioned 18 rides including Gold Striker, Star Tower, Rue Le Dodge, Celebration Swings, Carousel Columbia, Delirium and many of your Planet Snoopy favorites. So that means there are 12 rides including whatever they open in Planet Snoopy not counting the ones they mentioned. There are 16 rides in Planet Snoopy, even if they only open half that leaves us with 4 more rides. 3D Theater is an obvious choice, Flying Eagles is a safe bet... is that it? Maybe 1 or 2 more rides throughout the park (or maybe they open 10 rides in Planet Snoopy and that just covered everything).

I know thrill seekers aren't the main draw but I don't get it. I understand being conservative rather than sticking your neck out and opening the entire park and investing a ton of money on staffing but it seems like they're being way too conservative in a market where you already know this can be successful since Six Flags is open year round.

Can someone please help me understand the appeal? I would expect Six Flags to crush them and I think that's a shame since this is likely a test for other parks in the chain (like Carowinds) and they seem to be as conservative as possible with it. I'm not pretending to be an expert, I hate to complain because I love Holiday events but I don't get the appeal here in such a competitive market. I know it's more about lights than rides but Six Flags has both... and they have animals which for families is a big deal.

Edited by coasterbill

^^From my experience, CGA invests in better shows and decorations, which could be a huge plus for a holiday event. If they have good food as well...maybe it will draw families who really don't care about the rides as much and go more for the atmosphere and "holiday cheer."

Plus, I don't think people (besides enthusiasts) really drive between the parks so much. So the families who go to SFDK will still probably go to SFDK and families who never went before but live in the Santa Clara area might start going to CGA.

And why not put on a Holiday event? Seems logical as a lot of other theme parks are moving toward having them, and CGA could still probably profit from it.

Oh trust me I think the world needs more Holiday Events, this one just seems way too conservative based on the press release. I wish they would add a few more coasters (or at least Flight Deck) to appeal to a larger mix of people.

Just a hunch: the target market for X-mas events are not thrill seekers.

Seems like they loaded up on things families will enjoy...which is a great way to make lots of money in this industry.

Just a hunch: the target market for X-mas events are not thrill seekers.

You're 100% right, but even 8,9,10 year old kids enjoy coasters. I'm not asking for the entire park but just adding Flight Deck would make this much more appealing for older kids, plus B&M inverts can absolutely haul in cold weather (Batman at Great Adventure tried to kill us during Holiday in the Park, lol)

Having 1 coaster open is a bit underwhelming. I agree with you 100% about the demographics changing for Holiday events but a second coaster makes this much more appealing... not just for thrill seekers, but for families with older kids.

I can understand feeling a certain amount of trepidation regarding CGA's Winterfest announcement. Upon reading the first press release I was a bit skeptical myself, but after speaking with some of the CGA employees, I am not worried at all. CedarFair is throwing a ton of support behind this event. This is not an event that is being rolled out a little bit at a time. They are going big the very first year. While I really do not want to be looking forward to December quite yet, I am actually really really looking forward to Winterfest.. And not just be cause of the wonderful video I am going to get of my husband falling on his ass while trying to Iceskate on the reflecting pool in front of the carousel.

I can understand feeling a certain amount of trepidation regarding CGA's Winterfest announcement. Upon reading the first press release I was a bit skeptical myself, but after speaking with some of the CGA employees, I am not worried at all. CedarFair is throwing a ton of support behind this event. This is not an event that is being rolled out a little bit at a time. They are going big the very first year. While I really do not want to be looking forward to December quite yet, I am actually really really looking forward to Winterfest.. And not just be cause of the wonderful video I am going to get of my husband falling on his ass while trying to Iceskate on the reflecting pool in front of the carousel.