TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Wow, that's a pretty underwhelming announcement, especially compared to the RMC that SFDK is getting. The additions at SFDK over the last 5-6 years have far outpaced CGA. I wonder if CF is just going to continue to neglect CGA and not invest much capital into it while they try to unload it?

I wonder if CF is just going to continue to neglect CGA and not invest much capital into it while they try to unload it?

Enough with the neglect talk. The park is currently fighting to get rezoned so it can obtain permits to add to the park. Remember all the bs and delay that Gold Striker had? Yeah, they don't want to go through that again.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this new addition. On one hand, I'm glad to see Action Theater getting a big new upgrade, plus it gives me a reason to bring my friend to the park since she is a fan of the Mass Effect series. On the other hand, there wern't a lot of details given, and I have a few questions regarding this: are they going to use both sides of the theater again, or will it still be one? And if they're going to use new technology for the motion seating, are they going to get Simex-Iwerks (the original producers of the simulator ride) to do it, or are they going to outsource to a different company like Triotech? Plus it doesn't help that I know nothing about the ME series (never played any of the games ).

Also on the topic of CF neglecting CGA, I'm sure it's probably not intentional. I mean they are limited to space (and probably money too), and they're trying hard with what they can work around. And I know that SFDK seems to be beating CGA to a punch every so often. But I'm probably in the minority who still have faith in this park and it's future.

Enough with the neglect talk. The park is currently fighting to get rezoned so it can obtain permits to add to the park. Remember all the bs and delay that Gold Striker had? Yeah, they don't want to go through that again.

My thoughts exactly.

Could it be no motion seats? Without them they can increase capacity being those motion pods took up space with the gap inbetween them and with stationary seats they can have no height requirement which leads to an attraction everyone can enjoy . . . Like terminator 2 3d.

I wonder if CF is just going to continue to neglect CGA and not invest much capital into it while they try to unload it?

Remember that between Gold Striker's proposal back in 2008/2009 and it's debut in 2013, Cedar Fair did try to divest the park (2011). Majority know it's not a neglect talk since the CGA, Santa Clara County, and Cedar Fair riff has been so transparent. A clearer sign of what they actually hope for the park is what would be nice.

Could it be no motion seats? Without them they can increase capacity being those motion pods took up space with the gap inbetween them and with stationary seats they can have no height requirement which leads to an attraction everyone can enjoy . . . Like terminator 2 3d.

According to the full press release I saw, it said that there would be motion seats.

Riders will climb aboard motion-based seating and wear 3D glasses as they are taken on a thrilling adventure.

According to the full press release I saw, it said that there would be motion seats.

Riders will climb aboard motion-based seating and wear 3D glasses as they are taken on a thrilling adventure.

My guess (hope) would be something along the lines of the Minion ride at Universal.

Bummer . . . well at first glance. I wonder how long it would be? would it be a continuous loop like the previous residents or will it be on a show schedule.

For a second I thought this thread got caught in a time warp and went backwards, back to 2011.

...moving on.

Does anyone else think that this will be CGA's entry into the "Amusement Dark" series that currently has Guardian and Iron Reef, or do you think the park will eventually get an actual dark ride? It has been mentioned that every CF park may eventually get one, but I'd be a bit surprised if this was part of it.

Does anyone else think that this will be CGA's entry into the "Amusement Dark" series that currently has Guardian and Iron Reef, or do you think the park will eventually get an actual dark ride? It has been mentioned that every CF park may eventually get one, but I'd be a bit surprised if this was part of it.

That's a good question. On one hand, this is supposedly an interactive 4D attraction (which is what Guardian and Iron Reef are). But part of me still thinks that there might be a separate dark ride built in the future (my hopes go that they build it in the old IMAX building, with possible extensions to it given the current size of the building and the space in between)

• 2 weeks later...

^ If they were to use the old IMAX building, then they would have to get rid of the maze that resides in there. I don't see us getting a dark ride soon, but it could be somewhere in the pipeline for the near future.

In other news, I'm going to the park tonight to get my Gold Striker count up again as well as check out some of the new stuff for Haunt this year such as Insanitarium. I also found out that tonight is college night so to my understanding it may be pretty crowded tonight.

I'll try to do a report later on when I get back. Will anyone else be going tonight?

I don't know if anybody has said this before, but couldn't the park put in an impulse coaster in the old Greezed Lightnin space. (which I understand there is already an impulse coaster close enough at SFDK)

^That would be the best option in my opinion, would be pretty cool to get back a launch coaster in the park.

Also, sorry about not reporting as I didn't make it to the park but I am going to try again tonight.

If anyone is going tonight, i'm going to be wearing my bacon strips, bacon strips, bacon strips EMT sweater with a TPR shirt. Or just look for the guy who's vaping and making clouds, lol.

Sorry for the double post guys,but here's my report from last night. (didn't go through all the mazes though)

Got there a little before opening and it wasn't too crowded like I thought it would be, so it made for a nice slow night. Gold Striker was running great as always, bumpy but not rough at all. Flight Deck was also great, looked nice with the new paint job and also the upgraded touches in line were nice as well.

INSANITARIUM: While although it may be new hotness this year, I felt that it was lacking in a way. Upon entry, there were very little to no characters at all for about three rooms. Then it started to pick up a bit, but not by much. Things got better towards the second half of the maze, around where the bricks are falling. Other than that, the maze was a 3.5 out of 5, the decor is what saved it from being lower.

Roadkill: While although very similar to Slaughterhouse, I'd go as far as saying this is a lot better. The feeling is more mysterious, and it gets to you as well. The new props in this maze are great, example: the rolling barrels. PLenty of characters as well. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Zombie High: I loved this maze last year and it's still great this year, only downside to me is the new thing in the beginning where they take your photo. I mean yes it's good for them to do that to make more revenue throughout the night, but it just seems six flaggish to me as well. Characters were great in this maze as always, i'd give the maze a 4.5 out of 5.

Madame Marie's: Great again as always, the decor is always great and never lets you down. Scares were great here as well, made me jump a few times as well. Characters aplenty in this maze, every turn there was someone either still behind you or in front of you. Definitely another 4.5 out of 5 for me.

Now for the scare-zones.

Lockdown: While it's great to have the cool look of it all with the shipping containers, the overall feel for it was a little lack-luster. Some scares were great, but some need to work on sliding better. 3 out of 5.

Killer Clown Town: Absolutely the best hands down bar none. The over all feel of it was just great, especially with the Sideshow going on. Playing great music, having great talent throughout the night as well. Sat there for awhile watching the drummer and the DJ have a great time. 4.5 out of 5.

Evacuate: Although again new, was lacking as well. I felt that they had newer actors and weren't super into it yet, still getting acclimated. Still a nice scare-zone all around though. 3 out of 5

Other than that, I had a great night just taking it all in first, planning to go again this coming weekend. Do some of the shows as well next time. That's my report and i'd give my evening a 4 out of 5.

I was there during the morning on the 17th, and the park was pretty empty (finally after who knows how many rides, I finally got a front seat ride on Gold Striker!!), only Gold Striker really had any wait, and even it was maybe 15-20 minutes. GS was down briefly during the morning, but came back up and seemed to be up for the rest of the day I was there (until mid afternoon). My question for you guys, has the park been crowded at night for Haunt? I never really care about the Haunt stuff so usually go during the day in the fall, but I was surprised by how empty it was. I'm figuring/hoping it means the park is getting busy at night instead, right?

As for the Mass Effect ride, interesting that Carowinds also recently announced a ride based on an EA property, Plants Vs Zombies. There are a decent number of details about it out there (http://www.coaster101.com/2015/10/08/carowinds-announces-plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-3z-arena-for-2016/), much moreso than the Mass Effect Ride. But, seeing as it's a ride based on an EA game, and happening in an updated Carowinds Action Theater, I'm thinking there's a good chance that this could be similar. It might lack the interactive part, just because I figure CGA would have pushed that part if was happening, but it certainly would fit in a Mass Effect ride to be blasting bad guys.

That's a good question. On one hand, this is supposedly an interactive 4D attraction (which is what Guardian and Iron Reef are). But part of me still thinks that there might be a separate dark ride built in the future (my hopes go that they build it in the old IMAX building, with possible extensions to it given the current size of the building and the space in between)

I know it has been discussed and said before, but I can 99% CONFIRM there will never be a ride going in the old IMAX building, the building is too old and deteriorated to use in any manner past what it is now, the 2nd half of a haunt maze.

I would venture to guess that this will be it for a "dark ride" for the foreseeable future, but i really don't know for sure. I do know that we are in desperate need of a good steel coaster addition, and I HIGHLY doubt that will come in the form of a grizzly hybrid. The structure likely wouldn't support it, next time your there watch the turnaround by demon for a few cycles and see how much the whole thing sways.

We have been getting increasingly busier for Haunt as the haunt season goes on, the 17th was pretty packed, it was rumored we were near capacity. Sunday nights are still pretty damn dead though, with Friday's being in-between. I would expct HEAVY crowds for the 23,24, 30, and 31st, and if you want to come still and have the option, come on the 25th.

Totally thought that CGA would be open at least a few days in November, but it turns out its last day of the season is November 1st. How crowded would it be? It says it's open from 10 AM to 5:30. Is going to a park on its last day of the season a bad idea?

^

I've never been to CGA, but closing day is usually dead (or close to) at most regional parks.

I find it a little odd that this park doesn't stay open year-round (or at least until Christmas) since the park is in a relatively warm climate, not to mention that their biggest competitor (Discovery Kingdom) is open year-round.

Edited by VF15